Windows USB/DVD Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to create a USB install drive for the Latest 9.10-Stable.
I am using the recommendations from the documentation.
I am downloading the Windows USD/DVD tool.
When I select the downloaded ISO, the tool tells me that it is not a valid ISO.
I checked the SHA256 and it matches.

I am wondering if I am getting the error because I am running Windows 10, or the documentation hasn't been updated, because I can create Windows ISO's still.

What are the current USB making steps/programs?

Mlovelace

Guru
I am trying to create a USB install drive for the Latest 9.10-Stable.
I am using the recommendations from the documentation.
I am downloading the Windows USD/DVD tool.
When I select the downloaded ISO, the tool tells me that it is not a valid ISO.
I checked the SHA256 and it matches.

I am wondering if I am getting the error because I am running Windows 10, or the documentation hasn't been updated, because I can create Windows ISO's still.

What are the current USB making steps/programs?
If you are using a windows client to make the FreeNAS install USB then you'll want to use Win32 Disk Imager. https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

If you are using a Mac or Linux just dd the ISO to the usb volume.

Mlovelace

Guru

Mlovelace

Guru
I downloaded the FreeNAS-9.10.1.iso file and received the same error "selected file is not a valid ISO" when opening it withe the Windows USB/DVD Tool. So, using imgburn I added the UDF option to the ISO file and was able to open it with the Windows USB tool. I started the create process and it consistently failed at 99%. I've never had a problem using the default ISO downloaded from freenas.org with Win32diskimager or Rufus. To verify this I successfully made two USB installers with the downloaded ISO (non-UDF converted) using both Win32diskimager and Rufus. Rufus was successful using both ISO write and DD write options when making the USB installer.

schuberth

Cadet
Yep, had the same problem. Windows USB/DVD tool didn't work but I found this old page and used .iso instead of .img as that was the only option available for download.

Redcoat

MVP
This tool is similar to Rufus that can be used to make a bootable disk

Welcome to the forums.

And what tool is that you wish to tell us about? There's no link in your posting. You can create a link by using the "chain-link" icon in the message editing header.

Status
Not open for further replies.