problem booting ISO on USB Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karle

Cadet
Hi!

I want to install freenas on my new hardware (Asrock B85M-itx, socket 1150, ...) on a small SSD.

So i downloaded the latest x64 iso and put it on an USB Stick with "DD" command, but i'm not able to boot (tested on two different computers).

I set the USB device as first boot device and took away all other drives, but the only message i get is that i should put in a bootable device or s.th. similar.

On the same USB Stick i already had different Linux distros for installation and that everytime worked fine.

Does someone have an idea what is wrong?

Thank you.

Greets Karle

D

dlavigne

What was the exact dd command you used (with all options)?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, for starters you shouldn't be dd-ing the ISO file to your USB stick! Read the manual!

Karle

Cadet
i used the following command:

sudo dd if=FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=64k

(i tried this with version 9.2 and 9.1.1).

I read, that the Isos should be burned on a CD-Rom, but i do not understand why the ISO boots from a CD-ROM drive and not from the stick

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Because it doesn't work that way... lol. That's why the manual doesn't tell you to write the ISO to a USB stick. /facepalm

You know what amazes me right now? The fact that the manual plainly explains how to properly install FreeNAS with various methods, and yet you somehow still got it wrong. I really hope you keep backups, because you are clearly on the fast track to losing your data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.