Upgrading Pool | 1TB -> 4TB

schoolpost

Dabbler
Hello,

This is probably well discussed somewhere here, however to avoid confusion on my part I thought I'd ask specifically to my setup. ( FreeNas 9 )

I'm looking to upgrade my pool from it's current 10x 1TB Z3 Pool to 4TB Drives.

My understanding from some initial research is that I can simply rotate 4TB drives into my pool 1 at a time and once they've all migrated/re-silvered
my pool will now scale to the full size of the 4TB drives.

Anything I'm missing anything with that? will I need change some settings in FreeNas to get all the space available?

Thanks,

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can simply rotate 4TB drives into my pool 1 at a time and once they've all migrated/re-silvered
Pretty much. Check the manual for your version for details.
Anything I'm missing anything with that?
autoexpand should be on by default, but check: zpool get autoexpand <poolname>. If it isn't on, turn it on: zpool set autoexpand=on <poolname>.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello,

This is probably well discussed somewhere here, however to avoid confusion on my part I thought I'd ask specifically to my setup. ( FreeNas 9 )

I'm looking to upgrade my pool from it's current 10x 1TB Z3 Pool to 4TB Drives.

My understanding from some initial research is that I can simply rotate 4TB drives into my pool 1 at a time and once they've all migrated/re-silvered

Anything I'm missing anything with that? will I need change some settings in FreeNas to get all the space available?

Thanks,
No, you are not missing anything, except that with RAIDz3, you could replace two drives at a time. Once all the larger drives have been resilvered into the pool to replace the 1TB drives, your pool should autoexpand and it works as advertised. I have migrated from 1TB to 2TB to 4TB drives over the years and never had any trouble with it.