Upgrading from 11.3 to 12 broke SMB

CoreyVidal

Dabbler
I have FreeTrueNAS running on a dedicated server in my home (on bare metal). I use a combination of Windows and Ubuntu devices to access the server regularly. This week, I upgraded from 11.3 to 12.0-U1.

Now, I already know the problem, in that I was accessing SMBs with the "root" user before. That's no longer allowed. Makes sense. So I changed the ownership account to be something like "johnsmith" and the group account to be something like "my group". I set everything to full control. I attached to Windows devices without problem, and used fstab to automatically mount in Ubuntu:

Code:
//FREENAS.local/someplace /media/someone/Media cifs credentials=/home/someone/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,gid=133,vers=3.0,noperm,rw 0 0

Here's what's strange:

Windows can access, read, and write no problem. Fast.
Ubuntu can navigate it (everything shows up in the Ubuntu explorer and in the command line). But Ubuntu can only read and write to it... intermittently?

I am able to create small files on it. I am able to copy small files off of it. But if I try copying anything larger (hundreds of MB+), or writing (hundreds of MB+), it works for a few seconds and then fails. It returns different errors at random:

error: Resource temporarily unavailable

or

error: Host is down

I'm a bit baffled because it is working in small amounts.

There's nothing wrong with the connection. It worked totally fine before, for many months. And it works totally fine in Windows.

Does anyone know how I can solve this? I've read a few threads in here that I thought might relate, but I've been troubleshooting this for 12 hours now and I need to figure it out to provide the family with movies for Christmas!

Last edited:

CoreyVidal

Dabbler
I am getting a ton of these:

Dec 23 18:34:58 CHARON kernel: pid 9268 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:34:59 CHARON kernel: pid 9269 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:34:59 CHARON kernel: pid 9270 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:34:59 CHARON kernel: pid 9271 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:34:59 CHARON kernel: pid 9272 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:34:59 CHARON kernel: pid 9273 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:00 CHARON kernel: pid 9274 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:00 CHARON kernel: pid 9279 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:00 CHARON kernel: pid 9284 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:00 CHARON kernel: pid 9285 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:01 CHARON kernel: pid 9286 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:01 CHARON kernel: pid 9287 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:02 CHARON kernel: pid 9288 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:04 CHARON kernel: pid 9289 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:04 CHARON kernel: pid 9290 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 23 18:35:04 CHARON kernel: pid 9291 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

CoreyVidal

Dabbler
Apologies! I upgraded from 11.3-U4.1 directly to 12.0-U1. I've edited my original post for clarity.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Turn up your logging level for the smb service on freenas and see if you get a better error message. I got a crash the other day also but couldn't make it happen again with increased logging.

Ocsdjo

Cadet
I too have issues with smb... windows machines connect fine but my legacy v1 smb client cannot connect anymore.. worked great in 11.3

Redcoat

MVP
I too have issues with smb... windows machines connect fine but my legacy v1 smb client cannot connect anymore.. worked great in 11.3
Is the "Enable SMB1" checkbox set in Services>SMB?

Ocsdjo

Cadet
Yes, and I verified the login credentials on a newer machine and it works fine.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, and I verified the login credentials on a newer machine and it works fine.
This is most likely a known bug in U1. Fix was delayed due to urgent need to fix a ZFS issue with the U1.1 release. If possible, try rolling back to 11.3. If you're stuck on 12.0 or wish to test the fix for 12.0-U2 you can PM me a request for a patched version based and I will provide some basic instructions for testing.

Ocsdjo

Cadet
This is most likely a known bug in U1. Fix was delayed due to urgent need to fix a ZFS issue with the U1.1 release. If possible, try rolling back to 11.3. If you're stuck on 12.0 or wish to test the fix for 12.0-U2 you can PM me a request for a patched version based and I will provide some basic instructions for testing.
I took a snapshot before going to 12, I will revert it on Saturday and update you then..

seanm

Guru
I took a snapshot before going to 12, I will revert it on Saturday and update you then..

Since you're a newbie... you took a snapshot of what? Your boot pool or your data pool? Are you aware that there is no need to revert your data pool to rollback your freenas OS? If you search the forum archives, there's a lot of discussion about this.

Ocsdjo

Cadet
Since you're a newbie... you took a snapshot of what? Your boot pool or your data pool? Are you aware that there is no need to revert your data pool to rollback your freenas OS? If you search the forum archives, there's a lot of discussion about this.
A newbie to FreeNas and this forum I am, but not to the open source world and various distro's of linux. I have not done any type of raid in linux though, I never had a need to. I only played around with that stuff for fun and to experience other options, but this is a more serious venture for me. I have lobotomized a few distro's LOL... That being said, I assume snapshots are images of the data stored ( I did anything it would let me ). I also have a physical backup of my data on another Nas device, all because of Murphy's Law...

I rebooted the system in the 11.3 boot enviroment and now my pool is showing offline and when i click the gear, it is blank except for the pool name. If you have any thoughts, it would save me alot of time in research or the inevitable format and start over..... :-(

Ocsdjo

Cadet
Well ok, After research I found I cannot roll Back to 11.3 Because I had Upgraded the pool. So it looks like my only options are to format and start over or to accept your offer and test the U2 patch. I have backups so I would be willing to test it and report my findings back to you and test for other bugs until release. Worse case scenario I'll just start over with 11.3

seanm

Guru
Ah, best to not upgrade the pool right away, give it a few weeks running on the new OS first.

If I were you I'd use @anodos' patch, he is the FreeNAS Samba expert.