Lost access to SMB share "Permission Denied"

Cascadoo

Dabbler
What's in /usr/local/etc/smbusername.map?

The only mapping I'm aware of that should be happening is the "Microsoft account" one that handles email. And, I'm no SMB expert.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Summoning @anodos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Seems to be empty:

Code:
root@freenas[/usr/local/etc]# cat /usr/local/etc/smbusername.map
#
# SMB.CONF(5)        The configuration file for the Samba suite
#

Cascadoo

Dabbler
Just for comparison here is the same line from the FreenasVM for a successful connection (user on the freenas VM is john):

Code:
Auth: [SMB2,(null)] user [WORKGROUP]\[john ] at [Wed, 29 Apr 2020 03:09:01.597367 PDT] with [NTLMv2] status [NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER] workstation [MBLPC] remote host [ipv4:192.168.2.11:50202] mapped to [WORKGROUP]\[john ]. local host [ipv4:192.168.2.211:445]
[2020/04/29 03:09:08.626148,  4] ../../auth/auth_log.c:751(log_successful_authz_event_human_readable)

The remote host is mapped to the user I am trying to connect as on the Freenas VM (john). Unfortunately this is not happening on my physical Freenas system.

workstation [MBLPC] remote host [ipv4:192.168.2.11:50202] mapped to [WORKGROUP]\[john ]

Korros

Cadet
hi, it sounds like iam facing the same problem.
is there a solution or a workaround for it?

Cascadoo

Dabbler
I did take a break from it for while so no resolution yet unfortunately. I have compared with my working VM/ test system and cannot spot any differences but probably looking in the wrong places although the setup and creation process on both systems are identical.

Cascadoo

Dabbler
I don't have the expertise to troubleshoot this anymore so decided to go with a NFS share instead as I only have 2 clients that will connect to the share. At the moment it works when connecting from an ubuntu client but has an issue where windows can browse the entire share directory but get permission denied when trying open or execute files. I will create a separate thread for that if necessary.

diedrichg

Wizard
Set "Inherit" under Flags for user and group on the ACL screen

Cascadoo

Dabbler
Set "Inherit" under Flags for user and group on the ACL screen

I tried that before with the samba share. I think that the problem was related to the fact that when I try to log in as the user (marlon) it tries to map to workgroup/Admin

"workstation [MBLPC] remote host [ipv4:192.168.2.11:54712] mapped to [WORKGROUP]\[Admin]"