SMB share access failed after changing owner

P4#0383

Dabbler
Hello everyone.

I have a particular scenario that I am unable to decipher so far.

I have a share folder that was owned by user X. Now user X is being replace by user Y for folder myshare.
After going into the ACLs for the share, and switching the users/group, I am getting an access denied error. I had also removed user Y and restore to the default user/group provided originally when creating the dataset, stripped all the ACLs and try to access the share and reboot the system. Then I went back into FN and changed to user/group Y, applied the default ACL, tried to access the share, still Access Denied. I have going through the extreme to remove all ACL by using the "Strip ACLs" option and executing the command. Then assigned user Y again to the share and test once again. Still, access denied.

I have check the configuration at the CLI and the permissions are looking correct. Using getfacl for the folder in question is presenting the user/group Y properly assigned but still cannot access the share. Given that Windows might present some issues with permission on shares, I went and reboot the system. After reboot I tried to access it again, still same issue, Access Denied! I have tried to access the share from three different Windows and two Linux systems with exactly the same result under user Y.

Now, here is the kicker, if I go back and set the user/group for user X then I can access myshare without any issues. Which it is wired. If I go Windows Server 2019 and set the same share with replicate what I am trying to accomplish with FN, it works like a charm. This is driving me to believe that Samba in FN is not being configured properly while swapping the users. It seems that switching ownership for myshare from user X to user Y is taking not effect even after stripping the ACLs from that folder.

By the way, yes both check marks are selected at the moment the users are being switched.
Yes, both users X and Y are local users in FN.
Yes, the passwords are set to match the password of the user in question (meaning, the password is exactly the same).

I am thinking this my be a bug in the Json code. In a final attempt I am thinking to proceed to set the permissions through the CLI>
That will be my last step to see if that makes any difference. I wonder if the script currently used by FN is causing the issue.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here greatly appreciated.

P4#0383

Dabbler
@anodos
Thank you for your response.
My current version is FreeNAS-11.3-U5

Unfortunately this issue it is not corresponding with this version alone.
I had experience this issue since version 11.3.U2 since that was the first version I tried to changed users for the datasets.
I am now wondering if this issue was present on previous versions.

P4#0383

Dabbler
No updates or responses???
Awesome!!!!

Perhaps this issue was fixed on TNC.