Updating OwnCloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostjan

Contributor
In FreeNAS through GUI I installed OwnCloud as a jail. Everything works ok. The installation and OwnCloud itself. When I login to OwnCloud I get notice that I should upgrade to OwnCloud 8.2 and that I also run php 5.4 which should also be upgraded.

If I manually upgrade to latest OwnCloud and latest php (7.0.2), how will this affect the option that I can also update/upgrade the OwnCloud instance through FreeNAS GUI - when it is available? Can I upgrade php and that FreeNAS GUI update feature will also work?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
In FreeNAS through GUI I installed OwnCloud as a jail. Everything works ok. The installation and OwnCloud itself. When I login to OwnCloud I get notice that I should upgrade to OwnCloud 8.2 and that I also run php 5.4 which should also be upgraded.

If I manually upgrade to latest OwnCloud and latest php (7.0.2), how will this affect the option that I can also update/upgrade the OwnCloud instance through FreeNAS GUI - when it is available? Can I upgrade php and that FreeNAS GUI update feature will also work?
you installed the owncloud plugin or manually installed owncloud in a jail?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
What version are you on? If you want to upgrade to 8.2.1 you should be able to stop your plugin and press upgrade on FreeNAS WebUI > Plugins > Installed.
This will replace your source files with that versions. Then when you start and access owncloud it will prompt you to run the database upgrade which you can try in owncloud webui. But the most reliable way to do that is with the occ command.

To use occ you would do the following in the FreeNAS jail.
Code:
chsh -s /bin/sh www
su www
cd /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud
/usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/bin/php ./occ upgrade

Last edited:

Bostjan

Contributor
Hi

I’m on version 8.2.1.

I had several problems:

I haven’t found and button in WebUI for upgrade.

Then I tried occ as you described:
command# chsh -s /bin/sh works ok; it returned chsh: user information updated
command# su www returned: This account is currently not available.
this works :) cd /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud
command# /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/bin/php ./occ upgrade returns: ownCloud is already latest version

Then I tried another option. I logged in web version into OwnCloud and under admin tab tried the Update button. I took a while and I’ve got an error: Make sure that your web server has write access to the following files and directories: - with a long list of directories (/usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud …).

So I couldn’t do anything.

Any more tips?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi

I’m on version 8.2.1.

I had several problems:

I haven’t found and button in WebUI for upgrade.

Then I tried occ as you described:
command# chsh -s /bin/sh works ok; it returned chsh: user information updated
command# su www returned: This account is currently not available.
this works :) cd /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud
command# /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/bin/php ./occ upgrade returns: ownCloud is already latest version

Then I tried another option. I logged in web version into OwnCloud and under admin tab tried the Update button. I took a while and I’ve got an error: Make sure that your web server has write access to the following files and directories: - with a long list of directories (/usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud …).

So I couldn’t do anything.

Any more tips?
I made a mistake in the chsh command, I'll fix it.

'occ upgrade' doesnt download the update for you, you would need to do that yourself. ideally you could update your files using the Plugins > Installed tab, but I never built 8.2.2

Andrew076

Patron
So, I am new to ownCloud (and maybe I need to wait as this may be the worst time to start?).

I have the Plugin installed and it says it is version 8.2.1 but when I go to the web GUI for owncloud it says it is upgrading to version 8.2.1 then it tells me the update was unsuccessful. Any idea on how to get this to work?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
So, I am new to ownCloud (and maybe I need to wait as this may be the worst time to start?).

I have the Plugin installed and it says it is version 8.2.1 but when I go to the web GUI for owncloud it says it is upgrading to version 8.2.1 then it tells me the update was unsuccessful. Any idea on how to get this to work?
a fresh install shouldnt say its upgrading, not sure why that would come up. you could try the steps I posted earlier to force the upgrade to complete on the command line, or verify if a fresh install does the same thing.

qwertymodo

Contributor
The issue is that the latest FreeNAS plugin is not up-to-date. OwnCloud is currently up to 8.2.2, but the latest FN plugin is 8.2.1. Hence, the update notice. The plugin is meant to be upgraded through the FreeNAS GUI, so attempting to upgrade from within OwnCloud probably won't work. You'll have to wait for the plugin maintainer to update the plugin, and then you should see an Update button in the GUI. They really need to upgrade PHP as well, though NOT to PHP7, OC does not play nice with it. 5.6 should be good.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The issue is that the latest FreeNAS plugin is not up-to-date. OwnCloud is currently up to 8.2.2, but the latest FN plugin is 8.2.1. Hence, the update notice. The plugin is meant to be upgraded through the FreeNAS GUI, so attempting to upgrade from within OwnCloud probably won't work. You'll have to wait for the plugin maintainer to update the plugin, and then you should see an Update button in the GUI. They really need to upgrade PHP as well, though NOT to PHP7, OC does not play nice with it. 5.6 should be good.
I'll update the plugin once 9 gets released. I thought the in-app update worked, as I know it worked with older versions (maybe before 8.2?)

As for PHP7, owncloud 8.2 does work with it so I'm not sure where you got your information? But certain apps (like calendar/contacts) won't work until owncloud 9.

qwertymodo

Contributor
My information on PHP7 was purely based on the number of issues I found on the OC forums from people who updated. Maybe those people were running RC builds, I don't know.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
NO. TONIGHT. I DEMAND MY FREE THINGS IMMEDIATELY :p

Nah, seriously, take your time. I appreciate the work you do.
lol, will do when I feel like it. glad people appreciate it

I meant my personal install (which isn't using the plugin). heard that php7 is faster, which I can never turn down.

qwertymodo

Contributor
Faster sounds nice. I'm dealing with 100% CPU usage on my C2550, which is... less than fast, but that's an unrelated issue I'm pursuing over in the OC forums, and hopefully I can either get it figured out, or else get lucky and maybe OC9 fixes whatever issue I'm having.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
While we're on the subject of the 9.0 upgrade, when you do get the chance to work on it, could you also add redis for file locking? I'm having some pretty significant performance issues, and over at the OC forum, they suggested that and switching to MySQL or Postgres for the db. https://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34204&p=110149#p110149
you're using the plugin with mysql?

I could add the redis php extension, but it'd be up to a user to install and enable redis, and configure their config.php.

qwertymodo

Contributor
I'm running the plugin installed from the FreeNAS GUI, but it looks to me like it's configured for sqlite3, not MySQL. ps aux doesn't show any MySQL processes running, and /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud/config/config.php has 'dbtype' => 'sqlite3', set.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
the plugin uses sqlite. it'd be difficult to change it to mysql without breaking upgrades. I plan on using mysql with an owncloud plugin for freenas 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.