This version of ownCloud requires at least PHP 5.6.0 (updating owncloud)

subri

Cadet
Hey guys still pretty new at this but I updated my owncloud and now whenever I access the service it says:
This version of ownCloud requires at least PHP 5.6.0
You are currently running PHP 5.5.16. Please update your PHP version.
I have the system set up in my own computer running FreeNas so I don’t know how to update the PHP to get this thing to work. any suggestions?
Thanks let me know if you need anymore info about my system but I may need help finding it because again I am a noob.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
When you say "I updated my owncloud", what exactly did you do to update it? Did you use some kind of updating mechanism in the plugin menu? (I never use plugins, so I don't know).

subri

Cadet
I'm using free nas 11.2 now. I updated owncloud through owncloud. At the top of the page it said an update is available so I clicked it. It updated and all hell broke loose

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah. I don't know what to tell you, but any button like that would probably be for Linux etc. Updating Owncloud should be done through whatever package system is relevant to the install when you're on a FreeBSD.

I wouldn't even begin to know where to tell you to begin disentangling whatever is now screwed up.

Is the Owncloud version you have one that you installed with a FreeNAS plugin? Or did you install with some other method?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Typically speaking, (and I don't know if this is in the documentation or not), one updates the FreeNAS plugins as the plugins themselves are updated by the FreeNAS people. i.e., if there's an update, you see it in the plug-ins menu.

Things work a little differently on FreeBSD than Linux or Windows, and often, the self-updaters in software do not necessary do what they're supposed to do on FreeBSD (and hence, FreeNAS).

But since you have snapshots of all important datasets and jails (of course you do, right?) it's a simple matter of reverting to an earlier, correct state, and then only doing the updates from the FreeNAS GUI.

seanm

Guru
Typically speaking, (and I don't know if this is in the documentation or not), one updates the FreeNAS plugins as the plugins themselves are updated by the FreeNAS people. i.e., if there's an update, you see it in the plug-ins menu.

Which is of course a problem since the FreeNAS owncloud plugin is woefully out of date, missing security updates for example.

Things work a little differently on FreeBSD than Linux or Windows, and often, the self-updaters in software do not necessary do what they're supposed to do on FreeBSD (and hence, FreeNAS).

In fact, the owncloud project does *not* even list FreeBSD as a supported OS:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/administration_manual/installation/system_requirements.html

So presumably their QA has not tested the self-updated under FreeBSD.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well sir, to be fair, PHP is PHP. The question is whether or not PHP is supported on a given operating system. And I believe it is, for FreeBSD.

As for the security question about out-of-date plugins---typically speaking you should not be opening up your owncloud to the WAN without a VPN in any case, so that in principle, the security question ought to be moot. I myself generally concur that the burden of expecting the FreeNAS guys, or guys once-removed from the ixSystems guys, to maintain up-to-date plugins is a lot to ask. The plugins are a convenience. Any convenience has a price, especially conveniences that cost you nothing, and even more especially conveniences intended to bridge a gap between functionality and understanding. In this case, the price is not being as up-to-date as one might be with the underlying package.

This is why a lot of us don't actually use the plugins---rather, we make our own jails, install our own software from ports or packages, which means you're as up-to-date as anyone can be in FreeBSD, and thus, we have whatever the latest stuff is on the FreeBSD platform.

I have, for example, never used a "plugin".

But I do want to return to this important point: security updates to OwnCloud should be largely moot. Either, you're being security conscious, and can only access the OwnCloud from the LAN or a VPN, (which makes security updates mostly moot, unless you don't trust people on your own internal network, in which case you have bigger fish to fry), or you're not being security conscious by opening your OwnCloud to the WAN, in which case having the most up-to-date security patches is probably the least of your worries.

Bottom Line: Vigorously up-to-date Plugins are almost certainly not going to be happening. The solution is to maintain your own software in jails, if such things are important to you.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I understand; but most such people in situations like that (network admins on school networks, IT departments at enterprises) wouldn't be asking us about Owncloud plugins on FreeNAS.

If that's your situation, you probably shouldn't be using someone else's plugins.