SOLVED Unable to revert to snapshot

Davvo

MVP
I have a recently made snapshot of one of my jails that I need to revert to... I click the snapshot, I click rollback, check confirm, rollback... and nothing happens; not even when selecting no safety check. Even when the jail is stopped. What am I doing wrong? I'm not terribly in a hurry, but I need to revert.

Did you try rolling back the jail's dataset or the root dataset of the jail's filesystem?

Example:
  • mypool/iocage/jails/qbittorrent <--- (does not contain the jail's filesystem)
  • mypool/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root <--- (this is likely what you meant to rollback)

You have to rollback the root dataset, which is nested directly under the "placeholder" jail dataset.

Apollo

Wizard
I think the jail should be stopped as well.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The jail's dataset.
Unless you ticked the box to take a recursive snapshot then you are seeing expected behavior. I found that out the hard way here not long ago when one of my snapshot tasks was still set up before Iocage set the root as a separate dataset and all my snapshots for that particular jail were empty. Luckily I had a belt and suspenders back up plan for that jail and was able to recover it. Always test your backups.