Unable to configure networking after system migration using backup + restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Nine

Dabbler
Hi all,
I've recently upgraded from an old desktop I'd repurposed to a NAS I've built. I'm having an issue with the restore I could use a hand with.

Version: FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3

Board: http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2750D4I#Specifications
Ram: 16 GB

When I perform the default installation, my network interface of igb0 configures as expected using DHCP. I'm able to get an IP address and access the UI over the network. After I restore my configuration I downloaded from my original system a couple of days ago, the system does the following.

1) Reboots
2) Performs the migration and reboots
3) Reboots successfully

However, the network interfaces are not configured. This doesn't surprise me, since my old system only had 1 nic. However, when I attempt to reset with the following, the network will not start.

option 1) Configure Network Interfaces
option 1) igb0
Code:
Reset network configure? ) Y
Resetting interface configure: Ok
Restarting network: Failed
ok
Restarting routing: ok

Any idea how I can reconfigure this manually to be able to reset this via the wizard? I don't want to have to reconfigure my system from scratch if I can avoid it. I just want to reset the networking.

Thanks,
Todd

joeschmuck

Old Man
So it sounds like you are having issues with your NIC after restoring to a different machine. This is normal actaully.

At the console select option 1, this will show you your NIC interface. Select 1) ibg0, select NO, Now does it give you the option to delete the adapter? Tell it YES. Now your system will reset to the new NIC. You need to go back into option 1 and configure your network. You should be able to get to the GUI after that.

Todd Nine

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. I've done the delete as you suggest, which succeeds. However, when I then attempt to configure the device it prompts me for the interface name. In my status of
Code:
ifconfig igb0
, it correctly detects the cable is plugged in, but never gets a DHCP lease. It also correct detects the second interface is unplugged with
Code:
ifconfig igb1
. I've plugged my laptop into the same cable and it gets a lease successfully, so it's something with the current configuration state. Given that a clean system gets a lease fine. Is there a file I can remove and let it re-detect the hardware from the terminal?

joeschmuck

Old Man
At the console does it list the IP address near the bottom of the screen? It could be in IPv6 format.

You can always delete the interfaces again provided you configured them (deletion option will not show up unless you have configured the interface). Also when I'm asked to name my interface I normally just call it "NIC". You have 2 NICs so you could call them NIC1 and NIC2 or LAN1, LAN2. Whatever. I never call them "em1", this prevents confusion on my part.

Another way to go is to setup a static IP. Once you got things working then you could go back to DHCP if you like using the familair GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.