3 Gbit interfaces - Can't configure more than 2

eliminatrix

Dabbler
Hi All,

This setup of mine might sound a bit stupid but I can't figure out why it's not working. In my FreeNAS box, I have a 4-port gigabit NIC HP card. I had to use it for ESXI and I decided to keep it in for FreeNAS. One port connects to my modem for internet connectivity, and two other ports are connected directly to another computer (Corei5).
For some reason, I can only get ONE connection to Corei5 going at any one time.
I've assigned static IP addresses for the two connections to Corei5
Corei5 #1 = 10.25.1.1 / FreeNAS = 10.25.1.2
Corei5 #2 = 172.16.10.1 / FreeNAS = 172.16.10.2

In the network config section of FreeNAS, if I assign a static IP address to one interface, the other one drops out.
EG: I'll configure interface igb1 for 10.25.1.2. apply it, I'll then go to configure interface igb3 for 172.16.10.2, apply it = goes back to interface screen and igb1 has reset and dropped it's configuration, reset to 0.0.0.0
What's going on? Could really use some help here!

Thanks!

Heracles

Wizard
Hi again Eliminatrix,

Any VLAN configured in Network / VLANs ?
What is returned when you look in Network / Network Summary as of now ?
Are you trying to configure your NICs from Network / Global Config or from Network / Interfaces ?

Also, what is the chipset for that NIC ? Intel ? Realtec ? Something else ?

Multi-homing is not too difficult to get up and running. We should get that one fast enough...

eliminatrix

Dabbler
Hi again Eliminatrix,

Any VLAN configured in Network / VLANs ?
What is returned when you look in Network / Network Summary as of now ?
Are you trying to configure your NICs from Network / Global Config or from Network / Interfaces ?

Also, what is the chipset for that NIC ? Intel ? Realtec ? Something else ?

Multi-homing is not too difficult to get up and running. We should get that one fast enough...
Ummm....what's a VLAN?
This is the card = https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-NC36...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Configuring from network / interfaces

eliminatrix

Dabbler
freenas_1.jpg

Heracles

Wizard
VLANs is a technology that allows you to take a single physical network interface and divide it in multiple independent network segments. From what you described, you should not have any in Network / VLANs. If you do have something in that one, we will need to figure out why, if you need it and if it should be removed. For now, I assume you do not have any...

From what I found, your card is based on an Intel chipset. That's good. FreeNAS has some problems with few chipset but Intel are usually doing great.

So from your screenshot, you already have 2 NICs with IP addresses. You even have one with 2 addresses (igb3).

The problem is that one has an IP address with a netmask of only 1 bit. That is clearly wrong.

So your first step will be to write down what is the config that you are looking for :
Interface Name ; IP Address ; Netmask ; Gateway

Know that you can have only 1 default GW. If any segment you are looking for requires routing, we will need to add it as static routes.

Once your end goal is written, we will be able to validate it and tell you how to achieve it.

eliminatrix

Dabbler
I'm ok-ish at networking. I know basic IP addressing and networking. Would NOT have a clue what netmask is or how to work it out
igb0; 192.168.0.18 (DHCP - connects to modem); gateway = 192.168.0.1 (modem)
igb1; 10.25.1.2 (no gateway)
igb3; 172.16.10.2 (no gateway)

igb1+3 are direct connections between the Freenas box and Corei5. Corei5 has ALOT of stuff I want to copy over to FreeNAS. Hence the additional connections
igb3 = I have tried a couple of times to re-do the settings and I can't get 0.0.0.0/8 to go away

eliminatrix

Dabbler
Did a complete and total format - re-installed FreeNAS from scratch and it's still doing the same thing

Heracles

Wizard
Hi again,

Your problem is related to the netmask. You had one that was clearly wrong (it was 1), you admitted you do not know much about it and in the table I asked you to complete, you did not put any.

This is very basic networking. You can (and probably should) learn about TCP/IP networking in general and from there, you will find what you need. If you do not want to do that, just go with 255.255.255.0 (which is equivalent to 24 bits of mask) and you should be good.