SOLVED Web GUI - Works for On-Board NIC - Does not Render for PCI-X NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The web GUI works for the gigabit onboard NIC, but doesn't fully render when using the 100Mbit expansion card. There are three interfaces

Not Working:
  • Intel Pro 100 S Dual Port: fxp0, fxp1
Working:
  • Broadcom BCM5761: bge0

I have seen other threads around the rendering issue, but they all seem to focus on browser-based issues. I have tried on Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE, and even on a separate Mac with Safari. I don't think it is browser based, because I see the same half rendered GUI on the fxp0/1 interfaces 100% of the time, and the working GUI on the bge0 interface 100% of the time.

fxp0 and fxp1
fxp0-nic.png

bge0
bge0-nic.png

Troubleshooting steps taken:
  • Did lots of random attempts on my existing v9 installation.
  • Installed FreeNAS 11.1-U4 on a new USB stick.

On the 11.1 Installation:
Code:
1: Configure Network Interfaces
Reset? N
Delete? Y
[Repeat for All Interfaces]

Adjust DHCP server (separate pfSense computer) to use MAC of interface I want to test with.

Code:
1: Configure Network Interfaces
[Enable only one interface at a time with DHCP]
Reset? N
Configure for DHCP? Y
Name: "Management"
IPv6? N

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20180326002127.tgz
    483.8 KB · Views: 242

kdragon75

Wizard
Make sure FreeNAS is only using one interface (setup and listed in the UI) for web UI and the IP binding is correct. Clear/reset your browsers. Reboot PC. Use the IP address not hostname. If that works verify your DNS settings. If you have two FreeNAS boxes with different IPs and different TLDs but the same host name, this can cause issues too.

Trust us, it's not the card or the driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure FreeNAS is only using one interface. . . Use the IP address not hostname. . . Trust us, it's not the card or the driver.

kdragon thanks for the suggestions on this. I am still facing the issue. With some of your suggestions in mind, I created a test setup that does everything I could possibly think of to isolate the problem. I am with you, and I have an extremely hard time believing it's the card or the driver. However, I am not sure what else to consider!

Prep for Test
  • FreeNAS Dell: Removed All Network Cables from Switch End
  • FreeNAS Dell: Kept all cables plugged in on FreeNAS Dell end
  • FreeNAS Dell: Power off, remove existing USB OS Drive
  • FreeNAS Dell: Unplug all SATA cables to non-OS data drives
  • FreeNAS Dell: Do fresh install of 11.1 to Spare USB Drive
  • FreeNAS Dell: Do not Reload Config File from old installation
  • Ubuntu Laptop: Download Ubuntu Live USB 16.04.4 (64 bit, desktop)
  • Ubuntu Laptop: Copy the ISO to USB Flash Drive
Repeat All Steps in Testing Process for Each Interface:
  • Ubuntu Laptop: Power Off
  • Both: Disconnect ethernet cable on laptop end [if any is connected]
  • FreeNAS Dell: Delete currently configured interface [if any is configured]
  • FreeNAS Dell: Configure fxp0 to use Static IP 192.168.40.5/24
  • FreeNAS Dell: Reboot
  • Ubuntu Laptop: Boot from live USB
  • Ubuntu Laptop: Configure static IP of Ethernet NIC as 192.168.40.2/24
  • Both: Connect Ethernet cable directly between FreeNAS Dell fxp0 and Ubuntu Laptop
  • Ubuntu Laptop: Navigate to 192.168.40.5 (Firefox 58)
Used these IPs (Arbitrary - just FYI)
  • fxp0 - 192.168.40.5/24
  • fxp1 - 192.168.41.5/24
  • bge0 - 192.168.50.5/24
  • Ubuntu Laptop: Depending on NIC being tested; 192.168.x.2/24

I still get the same results. The fxp interfaces don't render fully, the bge0 one does. Repeatable 100% of the time.

kdragon75

Wizard
I know this may sound nutty and unnecessary but try disabling the onboard LAN on the Dell via the BIOS. just a hunch.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
fxp cards are really old. It's possible the driver has not been maintained, but I don't know. Not sure whether PCI-X or some BIOS settings dealing with it might affect them.

Also, is "vnet" just a name, or is some virtualization or VLAN stuff being used?

The BIOS suggestions were worth a shot! However, I am still getting the exact same result. I disabled the onboard NIC and played around with any settings that seemed remotely related, especially PCI-X.

fxp cards are really old. It's possible the driver has not been maintained, but I don't know.
Do you know of any well-supported 100MB/s Ethernet cards? The main reason I am interested in any of this is to test the iSCSI performance of 1G vs 100M. The (Dell T7500) computer has PCI, PCI-X, and PCIe slots.

is "vnet" just a name, or is some virtualization or VLAN stuff being used?
That's the name of my local domain. No virtualization or VLANs.

sretalla