trying to figure out best setup for docker/docker-compose system

modernNeo

Cadet
Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-form for this so apologizes if it's not.

I am currently using a Synology system but I am wanting to switch to TrueNAS mostly because I am a big fan of FOSS and I appreciate that TrueNAS scale is actually Linux based and I much prefer interacting on a command-line than having to use a GUI for most of my dev work.

However, on my current synology, I have quite a few docker containers running and plan to have 1-2 more heavy-duty ones when making my switch to TrueNAS and looking at online documentation, it seems that while TrueNAS has better support for docker than Synology and is more customizable...It seems more geared towards using docker via Kubernetes via the GUI. However, I am a docker-compose via command-line kind of person and am trying to figure out if TrueNAS can fit my needs. There seem to be 2 options for folks like myself but not sure if they are truly what I am looking for.

Just a note, I plan to get the TrueNAS Mini XL+ since I recognize that some of my containers will be requiring alot of power.
  1. Using a docker specific shell on TrueNAS from which I can access docker/docker-compose but I am not sure how friendly it is to sshing from my own computer. Also, how friendly that is with sharing volumes and network with the host and I plan to setup several cloudflare tunnel websites. I think this is TrueCharts Docker-Compose App but not entirely clear.
  2. the other option I saw was to just setup a Debian VM and run whatever I want on top of that. This one I find a bit more appeasing since I am no stranger to VM, but it got me wondering; if I go this route, I think I would essentially have 1 debian VM and the majority of my work would just be in that VM, from my nextcloud container to my plex server [maybe] to my more GPU intensive containers [cryptocurrency]. I feel like running a VM would make things slower but if I am going for the TrueNAS Mini XL+, not sure if that'll more than make up for the extra resources being used.

If there is a setup I am missing that is more ideal for me or I have misunderstood the documentation, please feel free to let me know.