Requesting docker-compose example

Ixian

Patron
I see, IMO this whole debate is kinda pointless. While it would be nice to have it exposed in the UI/officially supported, if you really want to be sure it's not going away anytime soon, just run docker and portainer in a vm. I work for a massive multimedia streaming company (100M subs) and we run all of our docker and k8s hosts in VMs. The physical hosts are just the hypervisors.

While the "point and click" interface in the Apps section is nice, IMO it's far too limited (currently only like 7 official plugins IIRC) and you need to learn Helm Charts in order to add any. If you just need something relatively simple, portainer in a VM is the foolproof way.

The "use a VM" answer keeps getting repeated - that is not an answer - that is punting the answer Also, any user comfortable doing that doesn't need SCALE at all, just run Core. It's not a great solution for many reasons already mentioned in this thread and others.

At the end of the day I just want to be able disable Kubernetes and run compose from the CLI without updates causing problems (currently, updates revert the default docker settings, meaning you either have to resort to scripts to re-write daemon.json changes and restart the service or do it manually every update). It's a pretty simple ask. And it's still listed in the developer notes as being possible as of 20.10 earlier this year, for whatever that's worth.

I appreciate the effort the Truecharts folks are putting in but the curated "simple app" shouldn't be the only alternative, for reasons re-hashed many times. (Edit: I removed a snide remark (that I believe to be true but besides the point)

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
And it's still listed in the developer notes as being possible as of 20.10 earlier this year, for whatever that's worth.
It's been removed after I had a private chat about it. The complete devnotes are mostly removed, as they should've been a long time ago.

I appreciate the effort the Truecharts folks are putting in but the curated "simple app" shouldn't be the only alternative, for reasons re-hashed many times. (Edit: I removed a snide remark (that I believe to be true but besides the point)
We've moved away from "simple apps" months ago and now try to support as many native k8s features as possible, while still providing defaults that "just work".

brando56894

Wizard
any user comfortable doing that doesn't need SCALE at all, just run Core.

They're two different OSes, I never had a good experience running VMs and stuff in Core, hence the reason I waited for SCALE to be usable. Core is more of a storage box with a few extra features IMO, whereas SCALE offers a lot more due to the additions of KVM and Docker. Bhyve is nowhere near as feature complete and well tested as KVM, it was only created back in 2014, while KVM was created back in 2006/2007 and is used by tons of massive companies, including the one I work at (we have about 7,500 VMs running in RHEV/oVirt).

At the end of the day I just want to be able disable Kubernetes and run compose from the CLI without updates causing problems (currently, updates revert the default docker settings, meaning you either have to resort to scripts to re-write daemon.json changes and restart the service or do it manually every update).

I setup everything over the weekend and then updated last night and nothing changed for me, I have 2 pods running (plex and nextcloud) and about 12 containers running. I didn't change anything related to the default docker settings though. As others have stated, TrueNAS is more of an appliance OS rather than something that you can customize like a true Linux distro, if you start changing stuff at the OS level, you're going to run into issues. I tried to do that back in 9.x and 10.x and it always caused problems. If wanna customize stuff running in the OS, run a VM because that is the only way you can be sure nothing will change without your knowledge.

I appreciate the effort the Truecharts folks are putting in but the curated "simple app" shouldn't be the only alternative

I totally agree, that was partially the reason why I stopped using Core back in the day (I used 9.3 for a while and tested out Corral for months). The available apps were usually what I needed but the versions tended to be way out of date. I tried to get the latest versions by setting them up manually in jails and grabbing from ports, but that became a huge pain due to all the necessary dependencies. I went the VM route, but it was horribly unstable for me and the VMs would hang and cause panics within the VMs under relatively heavy load (downloading tons of stuff from Usenet at 1 Gbps or transcoding 4K/1080p in Plex). I submitted bug reports but the devs could never replicate it, even with the same hardware and OS I was running. After many months of frustration I ended up going back to running ZoL on Arch, which I was running up until Friday.

ornias

Wizard
Bhyve is nowhere near as feature complete and well tested as KVM, it was only created back in 2014, while KVM was created back in 2006/2007 and is used by tons of massive companies, including the one I work at (we have about 7,500 VMs running in RHEV/oVirt).
Agreed, totally different beasts in terms of stability, features and support!

I tried to do that back in 9.x and 10.x and it always caused problems.
This is interesting, because it shows how it should be viewed: Just another TrueNAS System. Just because it runs Linux, docker, kvm and/or k3s in the background doesn't "magically" change the design philosophy or goals of iX systems. :)

The available apps were usually what I needed but the versions tended to be way out of date.
We at TrueCharts update all container versions for the Apps weekly on Tuesday. If there is any App that isn't updated, that's most often a bug ;-)

brando56894

Wizard
Good to know you guys are on top of updates! Coming from Arch, I'm used to being on the bleeding edge, even though I have no real reason to be haha. I just checked out the catalogue that you guys created and wow, you have a ton of apps in there, awesome! That was another problem I had with Core's (well FreeNAS') apps: the selection was pretty limited, IIRC there was only about 20-30 available because some things just didn't work in BSD, so I had to resort to running them in a VM.

truecharts

Guru
With the included TrueNAS SCALE feature of App rollback, we can allow ourselves to indulge and stay a bit on the bleeding edge as well. :)

Rudi Pittman

Contributor
- Name
- next, next, next, submit

Sorry, but if thats too hard i'm not even interested in the feedback tbh.

Try that with transmission-openvpn or maybe deluge-openvpn, apcupsd, papermerge , medusa, couchpotato (and all the other non "arr" usenet apps). True it's great when your picks are there but there are some glaring options missing like torrent + vpn with killswitch.

Please understand I am VERY grateful for the effort you've put into getting these apps out. It's just frustrating I no longer have the capability to setup an off the wall docker image on my own. I didn't even use docker-compose...I just setup a shell script with the docker line that would build/start the container, defined everything and ran it from the console....from there I managed it via portainer.

Disregard the attachment. I found when setting up truecharts if you change the uid, gid and fsgid and you then scroll down to click save using the scroll wheel on your mouse it was lowering the fsgid from 1080 to 1079 or 1075. I had to redo transmission and nzbhydra and it fixed the issues I was having but I see no way to delete the attachment.

Attachments

• 2021-08-24_17-27.png
    2021-08-24_17-27.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
Try that with transmission-openvpn or maybe deluge-openvpn, apcupsd, papermerge , medusa, couchpotato (and all the other non "arr" usenet apps). True it's great when your picks are there but there are some glaring options missing like torrent + vpn with killswitch.
We do plan to implement VPN settings globally to our Apps, however we have limited manpower to implement everything at once.
We also take requests for things like apcupsd, papermerge etc.

Disregard the attachment. I found when setting up truecharts if you change the uid, gid and fsgid and you then scroll down to click save using the scroll wheel on your mouse it was lowering the fsgid from 1080 to 1079 or 1075. I had to redo transmission and nzbhydra and it fixed the issues I was having but I see no way to delete the attachment.
That... sucks and should be made more clear by iX, because I donnot think that this is TrueCharts specific :(

Rudi Pittman

Contributor
We do plan to implement VPN settings globally to our Apps, however we have limited manpower to implement everything at once.
We also take requests for things like apcupsd, papermerge etc.

That... sucks and should be made more clear by iX, because I donnot think that this is TrueCharts specific :(

Is there a form or something I need to fill out for requests? I was not aware of this. As for the scroll wheel...yeah it was a nasty surprise but I can just see the snarky reply I'd get along the lines of "We provide a confirmation screen where the user is supposed to review the settings before clicking submit to ensure they are as they want them" :P~~~~

*Dear moderator. I've been a member since 2016 and have posted 122 messages. At what point do all my messages stop getting throttled for review?*

Last edited:

Rudi Pittman

Contributor
Where is the best place to report truecharts errors? I try to log into discord and it just gives me an option to "claim my account"...then tells me that account already exists...at no point did it give me the option to login.

Both charts of Deluge end up with it opening up to ask for a password that is not specified anywhere...it's not blank and it's not the word "deluge" See Screenshot.

Sonarr and Radarr both are unable to add transmission as a downloader but they also fail to add deluge and flood.

Attachments

• 2021-08-25_00-31.png
    2021-08-25_00-31.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 2021-08-25_00-34.png
    2021-08-25_00-34.png
    649.2 KB · Views: 285

Stux

MVP
So,

Here's the thing. I'd love to play with K8s on SCALE. I'm looking forward to it.

I also have a number of docker-compose compositions... that are essentially in production. And they're working great running on a VM on CORE.

I'd love to migrate each one, one at a time, to k8s in the future, but at my own pace.

So, if I can run docker-compose as some have indicated, then that will work out great... and I can then port each composition into a pod or true chart or whatever it is, over time. I don't need a UI for the compose stuff... I just hope to be able to do it with out too much fuss. And preferably without round-tripping through a VM.

That is my preferred outcome.

One of the problems I have is one of the "stacks" is a large mailserver suite, consisting of 19 containers... and it is not very amenable to kubernetization, a known issue with its architecture.

truecharts

Guru
Where is the best place to report truecharts errors?
Please check the website for any TrueCharts related information.
Including guides and contact information.

Both charts of Deluge end up with it opening up to ask for a password that is not specified anywhere...it's not blank and it's not the word "deluge" See Screenshot.
As stated in our Q&A, The password is the default for the container used. Sometimes we cannot change the password ourselves.

Sonarr and Radarr both are unable to add transmission as a downloader but they also fail to add deluge and flood.
That's not how we advice Apps to be linked together, please refer to the quick-start guides for our advices methodes of linking apps together.

ornias

Wizard
One of the problems I have is one of the "stacks" is a large mailserver suite, consisting of 19 containers... and it is not very amenable to kubernetization, a known issue with its architecture.
Mail server stack is on my to-do list and i've some people that are advising me to expedite it :)
I expect it to be merged before 01-01-2022 :)

Rudi Pittman

Contributor
Please check the website for any TrueCharts related information.
Including guides and contact information.

As stated in our Q&A, The password is the default for the container used. Sometimes we cannot change the password ourselves.

That's not how we advice Apps to be linked together, please refer to the quick-start guides for our advices methodes of linking apps together.

Apologies. I found truecharts via a youtube search for truenas scale and had not read all your documentation. Seems I've got more reading to do and it's better to find out about kubernetes naming conventions between calling apps now as opposed to later after I'd linked a bunch (for example sabnzbd does work using the method I demonstrated. The local domain method makes much more sense as I was worried about the port numbers changing as they appear to on rebuilds of the container.

Stux

MVP

inman.turbo

Contributor
have a look at http://mailcow.email to see what I mean
You could migrate to mailu. Migrating an email server can be a pain, I know. Here is a useful tool I've used in the past to help with it though: imapsync

I should mention that while you can pay to download imapsync form the link above, you are free to compile it on our own. The license is here, and the source code is here. The developer is a good man however, and definitely worthy of support. (He is the originator of the NLPL, which is pretty much the same as the WTFPL, with slightly less profanity).

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
You could migrate to mailu. Migrating an email server can be a pain, I know. Here is a useful tool I've used in the past to help with it though: imapsync
Thats indeed the package i'm currently looking at for creating a email SCALE App :)
Mailcow inherently isn't (and doesn't want to for some weird reason) K8S compatible in any way, shape or form.

Also: Thumbs up to imapsync.

Stux

MVP
Yeah, I know about the pain of migrating mail servers. We seamlessly migrated from a 10 year old Courier/Postfix 250GB installation on Linux 2.6 with only 30 minutes of downtime. Clients didn't even notice the change. Mailu didn't seem to have the flexibility to support the migration, but mailcow did. That's part of the problem, it uses essentially a 100MB docker-compose directory to run the containers, which is what allowed the flexibility to support the migration.

It used to take 7 hours to rsync the vmail data. Now we can run the replication in seconds.

Migrating from a docker-compose mailserver is a problem for another time.

Last edited:

MadMungo

Dabbler
Where is the best place to report truecharts errors? I try to log into discord and it just gives me an option to "claim my account"...then tells me that account already exists...at no point did it give me the option to login.

JFYI, I have deluge with vpn running using the docker image from here GitHub - binhex/arch-delugevpn: Docker build script for Arch Linux base with Deluge, Privoxy and OpenVPN . Also have lidarr and readarr truecharts apps happily working. Only thing is delugevpn has to be run with elevated priviliges to create the tun interface cause I don't know how to set --cap-add: NET_ADMIN while using the Big Blue Button.

inman.turbo

Contributor
Yeah, I know about the pain of migrating mail servers. We seamlessly migrated from a 10 year old Courier/Postfix 250GB installation on Linux 2.6 with only 30 minutes of downtime. Clients didn't even notice the change. Mailu didn't seem to have the flexibility to support the migration, but mailcow did. That's part of the problem, it uses essentially a 100MB docker-compose directory to run the containers, which is what allowed the flexibility to support the migration.

It used to take 7 hours to rsync the vmail data. Now we can run the replication in seconds.

Migrating from a docker-compose mailserver is a problem for another time.

Yes I have worked with them both, and followed the issues on github about mailcow not working with Kubernetes. Despite that fact, Mailcow certainly does have its own advantages. And I agree, the ability to docker-compose is of course preferable to changing application level software on every little thing that won't easily lend itself to Kubernetes. I love Kubernetes, but it and simply "running docker" aren't anywhere near homogeneous.

“Converged” implies that the nodes can operate as compute-only, storage-only or hyper-converged compute and storage. SCALE includes both the capability to support VMs through KVM and libvirt as well as containers via Docker or Kubernetes.

Or being the operative term here.