SOLVED App: docker-compose (portainer) - Help needed

rr5050

Cadet
In short: I can't get this app working. See details below. Help appreciated :)

TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4

App: docker-compose 20.10.20_3.0.3 (By Truecharts, stable version) (also tried version 2.1.0)

Truecharts guide to install this app: https://truecharts.org/docs/manual/SCALE Apps/docker-compose

My storage: ZFS, name: "pool".
Dataset: name "appdata". Created subfolder "portainer" and put the file "dockercompose_portainer.yml" in there. Tried with 3 different users as owner: local user (UID 1000), root, apps (UID 568). Also tried to set permissions to user/group/other to R/W/E (i.e. full access). Also tried with setting it to generic and SMB. Also tried to reapply permissions after I've put the yaml file in the folder.

Install steps I do:
1) Application Name: portainer
3) container Configuration, Docker Compose File (see attached) : /mnt/pool/appdata/portainer/dockercompose_portainer.yml
next >>> save >
App show as deploying under installed applications. And doesn't change from that ever. i.e. it doesn't work.

I have tried with simple compose files also just to see if it's working. From the look of the log files (see attached) it seems like it doesn't start on the compose file at all. The network in the compose file doesn't conflict with TrueNAS's network or my local network.

Another thing: Truecharts also has an "portainer-ce" app. This I can install, but it doesn't have a docker environment. It's possible to use docker-compose files there, but it's translated and often doesn't work like intented by the compose file. So unless someone knows how to use this app properly (from docker, not kubernetes view) I'm back to the app described above.

See attached files: log + compose

Attachments

• log.txt
    14.9 KB · Views: 320
  • compose.txt
    686 bytes · Views: 560
Last edited:

rr5050

Cadet
Here is the full install setup:

Application Name: portainer
Version: 3.0.3
:
Show Advanced Controller Settings: false
Show Expert Configuration Options: false
Extra Args: false
Image Environment:
Docker Compose File: /mnt/pool/appdata/portainer/dockercompose_portainer.yml
Timezone: 'Europe/Oslo' timezone
Show Expert Configuration: false
Show Expert Config: false
Container Security Settings:
Change PUID / UMASK values: false
Show Advanced Security Settings: false
Pod Security Context:
runAsUser: 0
runAsGroup: 0
fsGroup: 0
When should we take ownership?: OnRootMismatch
Set Custom Resource Limits/Requests (Advanced): false
GPU Configuration:
GPU Resource (amd.com/gpu): Allocate 0 amd.com/gpu GPU
:
Codeserver:
Enabled: false
:
LoadBalancer IP:
Promtail:
Netshoot:
VPN:
Type: disabled
Please read the documentation at https://truecharts.org:
I have checked the documentation: true

NugentS

MVP
I am not sure if this will help but...
1. This is the yaml file I use
version: '3' services: portainer: image: cr.portainer.io/portainer/portainer-ee:latest container_name: portainer restart: always networks: - portainer ports: - "8000:8000" - "9443:9443" volumes: - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock - /mnt/AppPool/Docker/Portainer/data:/data - /var/lib/docker/volumes:/var/lib/docker/volumes networks: portainer: external: false
2. I cannot get the latest version of portainer to run - it won't deploy. If I run the update I have to revert to a previous version, which does work

rr5050

Cadet
thx for input :)

I experimented a little more, and found if I mount "/mnt" to hostpath "/mnt" it deploys. I'm gone experiment more, but it seems like truecharts guide is not up to date (as /mnt /root /cluster should have been mounted already).

jpcapone

Dabbler
thx for input :)

I experimented a little more, and found if I mount "/mnt" to hostpath "/mnt" it deploys. I'm gone experiment more, but it seems like truecharts guide is not up to date (as /mnt /root /cluster should have been mounted already).
I am having this same exact error that you were experiencing. Can you explain what your resolution was? I am not understanding what you mean when you say "if I mount "/mnt" to hostpath "/mnt" it deploys", Thanks in advance!

rr5050

Cadet
Do note that this is on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4, and using Truecharts's app: Docker-Compose

When adding the app, you need to fill in various information. When you come to the section "Storage and Persistence", you follow these steps (in this order):
  1. Configure Additional App Storage
  2. Add
  3. Custom Storage
  4. Type of Storage = Host path
  5. Host Path = /mnt
  6. Mount Path = /mnt
Don't know if it matters, but I have following NOT checked: "Automatic Permissions", "Read Only".

Bonus: I've added the following to get plex (as a container within the above setup) to transcode in memory also: Same as above, but setup another custom storage: Type of Storage = emptyDir, Mount path = /transcode, EmptyDir Medium = Memory

jpcapone

Dabbler
Thanks for the response. Following the instructions you provided I am getting the error below

Installing​

Error: [EINVAL] chart_release_create.persistenceList.0.hostPath: Invalid path /mnt. Mounting root dataset or path outside a pool is not allowed

I then changed the Host Path to the actual path with the compose file in it and i get this error:

Error​

[EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (docker-compose/templates/common.yaml:1:3): hostPath not set

Any suggestions?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for the response. Following the instructions you provided I am getting the error below

Installing​

Error: [EINVAL] chart_release_create.persistenceList.0.hostPath: Invalid path /mnt. Mounting root dataset or path outside a pool is not allowed

I then changed the Host Path to the actual path with the compose file in it and i get this error:

Error​

[EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (docker-compose/templates/common.yaml:1:3): hostPath not set

Any suggestions?
You need to disable Host Path validation in kubernetes settings.

jpcapone

Dabbler
You need to disable Host Path validation in kubernetes settings.
HOT DAMN! that did it! Thanks for all of your help, now i can go to bed LOL!

SecCon

Contributor
So can you actually use Portainer to run docker apps?

sretalla