Portainer with docker-compose and missing exposed ports

ingorichter

Cadet
Hi,

I followed the instruction from https://truecharts.org/docs/manual/SCALE Apps/docker-compose to install Portainer with docker-compose.
I’m able to launch the app and it seems to run. I can see the files being generated in the data directory configured in the compose file.
But I’m unable to access we web app through the mapped port. It doesn’t work in the browser, nor does it work on the command line on the TrueNAS machine itself. If I try with curl, then I get a connection refused error.
I tried different ports without success. It looks like the port mapping is not taken into account.

I used Jenkins with a compose file and there my port mapping is working just fine. I can access the Jenkins web app through the browser and via curl.

I spent a lot of hours to understand why Portainer is not working for. I understand that docker compose is not a supported use case, but it works with other apps than Portainer.

I ran out of ways to diagnose the problem and I’m looking for recommendations to diagnose the issue and find a solution.
Since I’m replacing my aging Synology NAS with the TN machine, I need/want to setup my services with the existing compose files. I don’t know what would be a better solution to recreate all my docker container on the new machine.

Cheers,
Ingo