TruNas Core not seeing my server drives but can see my SATA drives on my LSI SAS 9200-8i IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 6Gbps SAS HBA

AcPcs

Cadet
I'm new to TruNas & Linux. I have an Intel DX79T0 motherboard with 36gb ram and a i7 3820 CPU. I purchased the LSI SAS 9200-8i IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 6Gbps SAS HBA card because I bought 5 4TB server drives by accident. I also have 5 4TB SATA drives on the same card. TruNas can see the SATA drives but not the server drives. I don't even know if these drives have been initialized and do not know how to go about doing that.
Any help would be appreciated because this server is being used for a backup for both children's homeschooling information as well as my 16-year-old daughter's art business she's trying to set up.

Arwen

MVP
Full hardware details please, specifically the brand & model of the "5 x 4TB server drives". Then all the connection details.

Plus, what TrueNAS release are you using?
Core or SCALE?
And what specific version?

You imply Linux, yet did not post in the TrueNAS SCALE forum.

Last, you state that you have 10 x 4TB drives on an 8 port HBA.
Do you use a SAS Expander?
Or just have 3 SATA drives on the 8 port HBA, and the other 2 SATA drives on the system board's SATA ports?

Davvo

MVP
What is the output of camcontrol devlist (if you are using CORE) or lsblk (if you are running SCALE) and sas3flash -list? Please post those outputs between [CODE][/CODE] tags.

You likely want to avoid using the WebUI shell as it's impratical to use, consider activating the SSH service and logging from Windows CMD, powershell or something like putty: once you have activated the service, you can login by writing in your console of choice (CMD, etc) ssh user@nas_ip

Last edited:

major_briggs

Cadet
If I read your thread correctly, TrueNAS cannot see your drives connected to your LSI SAS 9200-8i? If yes, try a different PCI slot. I just built my TrueNAS server this past weekend and the first slot I tried (meant for a 2nd video card) could not see the card. Once I switched the slot, it was fine. The motherboard is a ASUS Rampage IV Extreme.