Truenas won't recognize hard drives

kamalov

Dabbler
Hi,

I am new to this and installing Truenas on an old pc.
Motherboard: MSI X79-GD49 PLUS
CPU: I7-4930K
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 256GB
HDD's: 3 x WD Red Plus 8TB

So the Truenas turned on but won't recognize the HDD's. BIOS recognizes the HDD's. I read around the forum and tried doing only 1 drive at a time, switching power cables, switching PSU, switching SATA cables and so far nothing is working.

Please help.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The drives are not visible in the installer? Please describe in more detail what you did, what you expected to happen, what happened instead.

kamalov

Dabbler
The drives are not visible in the installer? Please describe in more detail what you did, what you expected to happen, what happened instead.
1 - I flashed the image file for TrueNas Scale using Rufus on a USB drive.
2 - Then I installed it using that USB drive to a Samsung SSD (256G).
3 - Then I rebooted the system.
4 - It loaded fine, showing the IP address and giving you the 10 options you get initially
5 - I accessed the device using the web interface
6 - Realized cannot create a pool because the HDD's are not showing up in the web interface
7 - I "troubleshooted": Replaced cords, RAM, PSU, tried only 1 drive instead of 3.
8 - When I boot into the BIOS, the BIOS recognizes all the drives.
9 - TrueNAS is not showing the drives so that I can start with making a pool

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware and what sort of controller you are using to attach disks to your system. Please be specific.

You've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.

kamalov

Dabbler
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware and what sort of controller you are using to attach disks to your system. Please be specific.

You've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.
I am sorry, I thought I did. I read it and thought I wrote about my hardware. I am not using a controller. The drives are attached directly via sata cables.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome.

MSI X79-GD49 PLUS

Is your SATA controller set to "RAID mode" in the BIOS?

Advanced -> Integrated Peripherals -> SATA Mode

Check section 2-6 of the manual:

This should be set to AHCI mode.

If this is already at AHCI mode, or it doesn't resolve problems, these drives may also have the 3.3V Standby issue - although a retail WD Red Plus shouldn't, unless that's been changed recently.

Arwen

MVP
To me, sounds like the disks have a pre-existing partition table, thus, the NAS software thinks they are in use.

@kamalov
Do you know that creating a pool does not preserve existing data?
Were this disks in use before?

kamalov

Dabbler
Do they show under Storage -> Disks? If not, at the shell, what's the output of lsblk?
I don't think so. Please see attached
SmartSelect_20221214_211129_Chrome.jpg

kamalov

Dabbler
To me, sounds like the disks have a pre-existing partition table, thus, the NAS software thinks they are in use.

@kamalov
Do you know that creating a pool does not preserve existing data?
Were this disks in use before?
Brand New HDDs from b&h

kamalov

Dabbler
Welcome.

If this is already at AHCI mode, or it doesn't resolve problems, these drives may also have the 3.3V Standby issue - although a retail WD Red Plus shouldn't, unless that's been changed recently.

It was set to AHCI.
I will check that voltage article and troubleshoot.

kamalov

Dabbler
Welcome.

So, I tried a different set of old HDD's that I had laying around. They all worked. So, it might be the PWDIS issue. Not sure how to fix it because I have a molex to SATA cable but my psu doesnt support that.

kamalov

Dabbler
I can't endorse it personally, but some users have applied non-conductive tape to the pin in question. At least you seem to have identified the issue.
I just tried it with 2 different types of tape and it didn't work. Any other ideas?

I just tried it with 2 different types of tape and it didn't work. Any other ideas?
Did you try covering pins 1 through 3?

It's what I did for a couple shucked drives, and it worked as expected. The guides tell you to "cover pin 3", but this is tricky to do with precision, and to make sure the tape doesn't shift or curl. However, it's easier to cover pins 1 through 3 with a wider cut of tape, and still get the same result.

Just make sure you don't cover pin #4. Precision is key. I used Kapton tape.

kamalov

Dabbler
Did you try covering pins 1 through 3?

It's what I did for a couple shucked drives, and it worked as expected. The guides tell you to "cover pin 3", but this is tricky to do with precision, and to make sure the tape doesn't shift or curl. However, it's easier to cover pins 1 through 3 with a wider cut of tape, and still get the same result.

Just make sure you don't cover pin #4. Precision is key. I used Kapton tape.
I used electric tape as seen in this photo to cover the 3 pins.
20221215_110937.jpg

HDD's: 3 x WD Red Plus 8TB
Wait, I have those drives. They did not need anything special in terms of a SATA connector or covering any pins.

Do you have another computer to plug one into and see if it is detected by a live Linux ISO?