TrueNAS simply shutting down, gracefully, no idea why, event log?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I got in the mood to do some TrueNAS Core to TrueNAS Scale testing.

My test machine worked fine for 2 or 3 hours, I even found a small bug in the upgrade process from CORE to SCALE to log, great! However my machine shut down, gracefully.

I thought nothing of it, it's continued to do that now every 5 minutes for the last 90 minutes.
I changed power supply, the log on the console is showing a graceful shut down.

I've got no idea what's going on, is the previous shut down reason logged?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
That is indeed odd... Check /etc/crontab, no scripts setup to run there? You can also check your System -> Advanced and see if there are any cron or other scripts setup to run. If you don't find anything obvious, perhaps open a ticket with debug file on https://jira.ixsystems.com so we can take a look.

diskdiddler

Wizard
That is indeed odd... Check /etc/crontab, no scripts setup to run there? You can also check your System -> Advanced and see if there are any cron or other scripts setup to run. If you don't find anything obvious, perhaps open a ticket with debug file on https://jira.ixsystems.com so we can take a look.

There's no init shut down or cron job.
I am doing continued testing, as usual it's extremely obscure and I doubt anyone would believe me if I told them at this point, but I'm going to confirm.

Cost me many hours, why do I always encounter the strangest of things.
I will update later on.

Oh and I did isolate a very small bug on the upgrade process, which I'm going to log a ticket for.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I spent easily 12 hours on this, recreated the problem at least once and I can't get it to return, very typical for me.

The long and the short of it seemed to be, upgrading core, to scale, then attempting to install a plugin (plex, whatever) in scale - will make the ix systems foldder on the pool.

Once this is made, if you reboot back into core, core starts shutting down - it occurred for me twice even after 0'ing the disks and doing it from scratch. Now I can't re-create it to save my life, so I'm not too upset, just a time waste.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Now I can't re-create it to save my life, so I'm not too upset, just a time waste.
It's not a waste of time. You did what is asked of the members when using early software, try to recreate the problem to figure out how to tell someone else how to create the issue in an effort to figure out what it going on. You may not be able to recreate it faithfully but at least you tried. You could still open up a ticket so the developers know of the issue because if you had the issue, odds are someone else will too.

Hey, seriously I applaud you at least trying, so many won't even make the effort.

tripodal

Dabbler
I think it's worth it to necro this thread.

I just experienced this exact issue; the Truenas device shutting down normally after ~5 minutes of uptime repeatedly.

I thought this was related to the hardware upgrades I did; but it was actually being caused by the browser.

For some reason firefox appears to have been resending the shutdown post repeatedly in a crashed tab.

I pulled all of the new hardware out and the issue still persisted; until I terminated the browser process.

The array has been up ever since.

I haven't been able to find any logs for the Truenas webserver; im sure they're there Im hoping to confirm this hypothesis with them.

I am on Truenas 13 U1

diskdiddler

Wizard
I think it's worth it to necro this thread.

I just experienced this exact issue; the Truenas device shutting down normally after ~5 minutes of uptime repeatedly.

I thought this was related to the hardware upgrades I did; but it was actually being caused by the browser.

For some reason firefox appears to have been resending the shutdown post repeatedly in a crashed tab.

I pulled all of the new hardware out and the issue still persisted; until I terminated the browser process.

The array has been up ever since.

I haven't been able to find any logs for the Truenas webserver; im sure they're there Im hoping to confirm this hypothesis with them.

I am on Truenas 13 U1

Thank you
Thank you and thank you!

Exactly, when it kicks in it's not good.

Sooner or later this is going to impact a real install at a business.

I am not smart enough to understand how the "permission cookie" or session of reboot approval is generated, but whatever it is, it should expire.

Tripodal, can I confirm, for my own sanity, you're not even LOGGING IN to the tab are you? It's simply refreshing and that refresh, is instigating a reboot.

Xan

Cadet
#metoo
I had the same problem HP server keeps restarting after installing card. Closing and opening new Firefox tab solved the problem!

NugentS

MVP
Damnit - and I thought I was going mad. Its behaviour I have seen, but never confirmed cos it seems to happen randomly
I am sure that sometimes, when I reboot the NAS and leave the browser open, waitinf for the NAS to re-appear. It autoreboots again because of the browser. It just never does it when testing for it

Zyrox

Dabbler
I had a reboot problem on TrueNAS Core with consumer hardware. With a ASUS 10G PCIe card. When I transfered data over the this card for too long and with that high speed, TrueNAS simply rebooted. Maybe it's incompatible hardware?

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man

Redcoat

MVP
I had a reboot problem on TrueNAS Core with consumer hardware. With a ASUS 10G PCIe card. When I transfered data over the this card for too long and with that high speed, TrueNAS simply rebooted. Maybe it's incompatible hardware?
Please provide full data on the ASUS 10G card - model number, etc. If it's a Realtek chipset card, that may be the most likely answer to your issue.

If it isn't then you should be ready to provide full information on your setup as requested in the Forum Rules (Red Link at top of page) to feed the comment process.

EDIT: I suggest you start a new thread as this one was adressing some experiences with a browser issue, yours seems likely completely different.

Last edited: