TrueNas Shutting Down Randomly

discocactuar

Cadet
I'm noticing that my TrueNas starts to shut down unexpectedly. It looks like it gets a shutdown signal from something and then shuts down gracefully. It seems to be happening when I'm navigating in the Web GUI, but I can't pinpoint when it happens. It ranges from looking at reports to the shell tab

Build:
- P8Z77-V PRO
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
- 750W Powersupply
- 500G Samsung SSD
- 4x 18TB WD Gold

I'm not exactly sure what to be looking for in the logs. I've looked in the `/var/log/messages` to see if there's anything in there, but can't seem to find any useful info. Any ideas? Let me know if I can provide any info.

discocactuar

Cadet
One thing I've noticed is that if I don't navigate the Web GUI, then it seems like it just stays on and does not shut down

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It might be a memory issue.... how many DIMMs and what size?

discocactuar

Cadet
It might be a memory issue.... how many DIMMs and what size?
4x 4GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MH

I attached roughly cpu and memory usage from dashboard

Attachments

• truenas memory.PNG
    truenas memory.PNG
    40.2 KB · Views: 110

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
4x 4GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MH

Its non ECC RAM so its very hard to work out if something is broken. Are the DIMMs relatively old?

You seem to have enough RAM to run on only 2 DIMMs... so you could eliminate the potential issue by testing with only 2 DIMMs at a time.

I can't think of another potential cause. I assume that the system operated stably for a while and is now failing?

67 degrees C when idle? Seems kind of warm. How high do the CPU temps get when under a full load of lengthy duration?

(Although, I'm not sure if a critical CPU temp will trigger a graceful shutdown.)

Did you overclock the CPU and/or RAM?

EDIT: Not trying to derail the thread, nor am I suggesting that your CPU temps might explain the random shutdowns. But if your CPU is idling at 67-C, I would recommend you check the cooling, heatsink, how the CPU is "seated", and especially cleanup and reapply the thermal paste.

Last edited:

discocactuar

Cadet
Yeah, I repurposed a 8+ year old computer, so a lot of the parts are pretty old. I'll double check the ram sticks

67 degrees C when idle? (Can you check the CPU graphs under the Reports page.) Seems kind of warm. How high do the CPU temps get when under a full load of lengthy duration?

(Although, I'm not sure if a critical CPU temp will trigger a graceful shutdown.)

Did you overclock the CPU and/or RAM?
No overclocking of cpu and ram. I'll double check the cpu and see why it's so warm. Might be old and need to reapply thermal paste

discocactuar

Cadet
@winnielinnie @morganL
Seems like the issue was the cpu was getting too hot. Found out my AIO liquid cpu cooler stopped pumping, which caused the cpu to get pretty high. I'm wondering if it hit a certain high temp and the OS got a shutdown signal from that. After fixing that, I ran a memtest and everything seems to be in order.

So far after getting a new CPU cooler, things are running smoothly so far, fingers crossed.