TrueNAS Scale virtualization and Debian UEFI boot loader issue

e7balt

Cadet
I've been testing TrueNAS Scale (currently running nightly TrueNAS-SCALE-21.05-MASTER-20210504-072918) and have run into some issues with virtualization- specifically with Debian Linux (UEFI boot).

It seems that TrueNAS Scale virtualization has a similar issue as TrueNAS Core when it comes to Debian and UEFI boot (see post at: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/bhyve-vm-uefi-boot-fails-after-each-upgrade.59825/).

Specifically, after initial install of a Debian VM (with UEFI boot) it is not able to find the boot loader (i.e. debian/grubx64.efi). This can be fixed temporarily by going into the virtual UEFI/BIOS menus of the VM and manually adding a new boot option and pointing it to grubx64.efi and then saving the changes. However, it seems rebooting and/or upgrading TrueNAS Scale will cause this saved boot setting to be lost. As a result the VM can't boot up successfully without manual intervention after a reboot of TrueNAS Scale and I've had to manually go back into the UEFI/BIOS of the VM and re-add the boot option to point it to debian/grubx64.efi.

In the TrueNAS Core post and associated bug entry https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/27288 a workaround is mentioned about copying debian/grubx64.efi to EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi. I have not tried the workaround on TrueNAS scale yet to see it it works but will do so the next time I have to take my server down for maintenance or an update.

Is there anyway Scale could be updated so that it persists the UEFI/BIOS changes across TrueNAS Scale upgrades and reboots?

Doing some digging around the file system I see .fd files for each VM under /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/nvram/ (for example, /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/nvram/1_vmname_VARS.fd). This file is also referenced in the VM XML config for the vm (under /etc/libvirt/qemu/) in the <os><nvram> section. I suspect that the .fd files might be what holds the UEFI/BIOS configuration settings but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have you sen this? :

e7balt

Cadet
Thanks- I had not seen that specific post which has a bit more detail than the other forum post I listed initially.

One particularly useful link that further helps explain the situation is the following: https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#Force_grub-efi_installation_to_the_removable_media_path. But forcing the grub efi install to the removable media path upon initial install is still a workaround for not being able to properly persist the UEFI boot options in the virtual UEFI.

One other thing I just thought of- I suspect that any changes to the UEFI settings in the virtual UEFI (for example, Secure Boot setting?) would also get lost after TrueNAS scale reboots/upgrades.

adornala

Cadet
The above page with the fix gave me 404, so here is the solution if someone is still searching for it.

Code:
su -
cd /boot/efi/EFI
mkdir BOOT
cp debian/grubx64.efi BOOT/bootx64.efi
# Now you can reboot to check if evrything is good. Save your work and reboot
reboot

Last edited:

kashiwagi

Dabbler
I just ran into this, and tried just copying like adornala mentioned above.

Didn't work for me ...

So anyway, doing this seems to have done the trick

Code:
apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub

Used this as a reference

bitbit

Dabbler

Didn't work for me ...

Code:

Used this as a reference
Thanks for this! Solved the issue for me as well. Cheers!

-jim

Cadet

Didn't work for me ...

Code:

Used this as a reference
I end up at best in the Install CD or can exist to the Grub shell. How would I be alble to do the commandlines without the device being booted?

What am I missing?

Marek S.

Cadet
I fixed it like this:

Go to virtualization > Your VM > Display

SHELL> type: exit
> Boot Maintenance Manager
-> Boot from file
--> Select grubx64.efi

Boot into Debian

> login as root
-> cd /boot/efi/EFI