Bhyve VM UEFI boot fails after each upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroji

Contributor
This seems to be a reoccurring issue that I have not found a permanent fix for. For some strange reason, when I build a new VM and install it with UEFI bootloader, the VM runs and reboots perfectly. However, whenever I upgrade FreeNAS, the VM fails to boot because bhyve loses the boot device config. I can manually enter the Boot Maintenance Manager and select to boot from the path and GRUB UEFI bootloader. However, reboots would get stuck at the same point and requiring manual intervention each time. I also tried to add a new boot options and change the boot order so that it is the first choice. However, that added config is also lost on reboots.

dsfuchs

Cadet
I have an almost identical defect to the above with the exception that once freeNAS restarts, my bhyve (UEFI) virtual machine fails to start. I am running freeNAS ver 11.1-U6. I create a bhyve virtual machine -- ubuntu 16.04.5, UEFI boot. I am able to restart the VM without problems many times -- as long as the freeNAS system is not restarted. Once I restart FreeNAS, the VM will not boot (boots into the UEFI interactive shell where I am unable to use any option to boot from the virtual hard drive).

Any thoughts, please?

D

dlavigne

Does the workaround at the bottom of the ticket referenced above resolve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.