SOLVED Upgrade from 11 U1 to 11 U2 breaks VM, boots to UEFI Interactive Shell

I upgraded from FreeNAS 11 U1 to U2 today. My previously created VM machine running Debian 9 now fails to boot. It boots into UEFI Interactive Shell, GRUB is not loaded and Debian does not boot (see the screenshot).

Can you please advice how to fix it without reinstalling the Debian VM (no data there, but the installation takes some time)?

EDIT:
I am aware of the need to copy /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi. However, even after doing so, Debian doesn't boot and the UEFI Interactive Shell is shown.

This is content of my /boot/efi/EFI/:

# find /boot/efi/EFI/
/boot/efi/EFI/
/boot/efi/EFI/debian
/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi

TIA,
Daniel

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2017-07-24 21-26-28.png
    Screenshot at 2017-07-24 21-26-28.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
I can't help with the question, but if you edit the title to the correct versions (U1 & U2) more people might read it.

Stux

MVP
If you rollback, does it fix itself?

SOLVED: The copy of /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi in /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/ should be called boot64.efi, not grubx64.efi.

So to fix this issue, simply copy /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/boot64.efi.

Andy C

Explorer
This workaround doesn't work for me using FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1 and Debian 9. Debian installs OK but when the VM is subsequently stopped and restarted I am stuck in EFO boot shell hell.

Attempts to boot from file don't work either (screenshot attached).

I'm slightly surprised and disappointed that such a well publicised, long standing issue hasn't been fixed in the final 11.2 release.

Attachments

• FN-Debian-EFI.png
    FN-Debian-EFI.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 536

Andy C

Explorer
Ubuntu Server 18.10 works OK.

KrisBee

Wizard
This workaround doesn't work for me using FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1 and Debian 9. Debian installs OK but when the VM is subsequently stopped and restarted I am stuck in EFO boot shell hell.

Attempts to boot from file don't work either (screenshot attached).

I'm slightly surprised and disappointed that such a well publicised, long standing issue hasn't been fixed in the final 11.2 release.

The workaround is not needed if you use the "expert install" option and select "yes" to this question when at the install grub stage:

expert_install.jpeg

Debian will then boot via UEFI without the need to use the EFI shell. But removing the CD-ROM device changes the slot allocated to the virtual NIC so you may need to edit /etc/network/interfaces post install ( or netplan in Ubuntu 18).

deb_vm.jpeg

Last edited: