TrueNAS SCALE Project Start

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have been unable to connect to an SMB share from either OSX or Windows. The creation process works fine and the service starts, but errors out after authentication. Is it still to early for this service?
I haven't ported TrueNAS Samba to scale yet. Many features will not work at this point. Early stages of development should also be considered incompatible with TrueNAS core and FreeNAS. Because of differences between Linux and FreeBSD on-disk format for metadata is different, so ZFS send / recv of SMB dataset from TrueNAS core to TrueNAS scale should be considered to yield nuanced results until further notice. You will lose ACLs, xattrs, alternate datastreams, and DOS modes as things currently stand.

Last edited:

silverback

Contributor
I haven't ported TrueNAS Samba to scale yet. Many features will not work at this point. Early stages of development should also be considered incompatible with TrueNAS core and FreeNAS. Because of differences between Linux and FreeBSD on-disk format for metadata is different, so ZFS send / recv of SMB dataset from TrueNAS core to TrueNAS scale should be considered somewhat risky until notice otherwise. You will lose ACLs, xattrs, alternate datastreams, and DOS modes as things currently stand.
I have not put any data on Scale, but I did create a basic SMB share with lax permissions that connects, reads and writes.

silverback

Contributor
I should also mention that ftp also works to write to the boot pool. At this point the writes survive a restart.

warllo

Contributor
Can't wait for the announcement. So far the new scale is impressive. I did however notice that the edit ACL option is missing from the dataset action menu. Is this intended? Also when attempting to set group permissions to write I get the following error.

"Error: [EFAULT] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ACL' "

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can't wait for the announcement. So far the new scale is impressive. I did however notice that the edit ACL option is missing from the dataset action menu. Is this intended? Also when attempting to set group permissions to write I get the following error.

"Error: [EFAULT] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ACL' "
ACL support is not yet implemented in middleware and the OS. Linux by default lacks a useful ACL model for doing SMB (POSIX 1e ACLs are quite terrible), and ZoL is incompatible with the current FreeBSD / Illumos ACL implementation. This will be addressed eventually, but right now 12.0 BETA is taking priority.

warllo

Contributor
Thank you for the prompt reply. Again, thank you for the excellent open-source software.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thank you for the prompt reply. Again, thank you for the excellent open-source software.
You're welcome. I wish I had a better answer right now, but scale is still in relatively early stages of development in some areas. There are some OS changes that need to happen first so that APIs are solid before we start implementing in middleware. Eventually you we will have an ACL brand aware permissions manager. The issue is complex because there are several possible types of filesystem ACLs depending on situation. If ZoL acltype is set to POSIX, then POSIX1e ACLs are used. There are plans to add native ZFS ACLs (like FreeBSD has), but depending on situation, Samba may write its own ACL into a NT ACL xattr in the security namespace. Ideally we should provide the ability to manage all three ACL brands (POSIX1e, NFSv4 (ZFS native), and NT).

MIThub

Cadet
Extracted from Announcement

SCALE is an exciting new addition to the TrueNAS software family. It uses much of the same TrueNAS 12.0 source code, but adds a few different twists.

For those eager to know more about the the goals of the SCALE project, they are defined by this acronym:

Scale-out
Converged
Active-active
Linux containers
Easy-to-manage

Since many in our community have already noticed and been speculating for a while, I’ll confirm now that SCALE is based upon Linux. Debian 11 (Bullseye) is currently being used as the platform for this new project. Linux is a key requirement to achieve some of the SCALE project goals. The ability to run OpenZFS 2.0 across both FreeBSD and Linux provides the TrueNAS family with the software diversity to service a wide variety of user infrastructure needs.

We’re pleased to let developers know that the source code for TrueNAS SCALE is already available on GitHub and under very active development. Over the next quarter, we will give you more detailed information about the architecture, download links to the installation images, and more details on how to get involved for collaboration. We’re currently hard at work finishing up some of the base functionality on a very early developer preview image. This nightly image will allow community developers and early technical preview audiences to kick the tires and get more involved in the early development stages of this new product. SCALE will be a development project for the remainder of 2020 with a planned release in 2021.

Best of luck from India...
This project will have a huge success.
I can see following clear advantages.
1. Better hardware support.
2. Better Virtulization support with KVM on Linux.
3. Gluster over ZFS will help you in creating fail-over cluster very very easily. Realtime active sync is possible with GlusterFS.
4. Docker support - increases plugins by many many folds.
5. GPU Passthru / USB Passthru -- all now will be possible.
6. Recovering from boot error - job is much easy in Linux.

All the best sir,,,,,

grinderx

Cadet
I just found out about this project and I 'm really excited! At the moment for my homelab I run Openmediavault with ZFS exporting NFSv3 and Proxmox being my virtualisation platform of choice. I have an LSI 2108 getting passthrough to the Openmediavault VM. Originally, I wanted to go with FreeNAS, but it refused to see the LSI HBA, even though my PCI passthrough setup is 100% correct. WIth Openmediavault (Debian based too) that's not an issue. I really hope to do the switch to TrueNAS SCALE when it becomes stable. Hopefully, I 'll manage to make some time at some point and try out a nightly build in a VM. Thanks for your efforts!

inman.turbo

Contributor
but it refused to see the LSI HBA, even though my PCI passthrough setup is 100% correct.
I've used LSI HBA passthrough to FreeNAS on tons of platforms, including PVE. The only time there is an issue is if there isn't isolation in your iommu group. you need a dedicated IOMMU group for all PCI devices you want to assign to a VM.

Code:
find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/ -type l

Will show your groups. Your HBA needs to be the only one in its group. If the group is being shared with integrated hardware, such as slot one on some 11th Gen dell poweredge servers, sometimes it helps to move it to another slot. Incidentally, I have seen PVE achieve passthrough to linux VM's even in slot one on said machines.

Last edited:

grinderx

Cadet
I've used LSI HBA passthrough to FreeNAS on tons of platforms, including PVE. The only time there is an issue is if there isn't isolation in your iommu group. you need a dedicated IOMMU group for all PCI devices you want to assign to a VM.

Code:
find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/ -type l

Will show your groups. Your HBA needs to be the only one in its group. If the group is being shared with integrated hardware, such as slot one on some 11th Gen dell poweredge servers, sometimes it helps to move it to another slot. Incidentally, I have seen PVE achieve passthrough to linux VM's even in slot one on said machines.
I can confirm that what you say is true in my server (I have a Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F M/B installed):

Code:
# lspci -s 00 | grep 2308
04:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)

# dmesg | egrep group | awk '{print $NF" "$0}' | sort -n | grep 04:00.0
31 [ 1.763119] pci 0000:04:00.0: Adding to iommu group 31

# find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/ -type l | grep 31
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/31/devices/0000:04:00.0

Anyways, I 'm happy with what I have right now. I just need ZFS and NFSv3 plus I can manage everything else via the CLI. I just like the WebUI aspect in order to get fancy graphics regarding performance, capacity/CPU utilsation, etc (and I liked the thought of having something BSD based in my homelab apart from my little pfSense box). Thanks for your help, but I do not need to chase that issue further at this point plus we are waaaaay off-topic here :smile:

Last edited:
I've got a pair of TrueNAS SCALE VMs installed, and I've found a few odd behaviors in the UI - is this forum the best place to ask questions or start a bug report?

ornias

Wizard
I've got a pair of TrueNAS SCALE VMs installed, and I've found a few odd behaviors in the UI - is this forum the best place to ask questions or start a bug report?
Depends... If you can reproduce it and it's clearly not supposed to happen it might be more efficient to just file the report right away...

Herr_Merlin

Patron
Awesome looking forward for this product.
Would love to replace our FC SAN with two or tree TRUENAS SCALE boxes clustered

inman.turbo

Contributor
Would love to replace our FC SAN with two or tree TRUENAS SCALE boxes clustered
I'm so excited about it I kinda have been delaying setting up any new hardware. Seems kinda silly to keep setting up FreeNas as a VM with passthrough (in my case) when I have plans to replace all of the centos/rhel servers with freenas scale directly on metal if all goes well.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I just found out about this project and I 'm really excited! At the moment for my homelab I run Openmediavault with ZFS exporting NFSv3 and Proxmox being my virtualisation platform of choice. I have an LSI 2108 getting passthrough to the Openmediavault VM. Originally, I wanted to go with FreeNAS, but it refused to see the LSI HBA, even though my PCI passthrough setup is 100% correct. WIth Openmediavault (Debian based too) that's not an issue. I really hope to do the switch to TrueNAS SCALE when it becomes stable. Hopefully, I 'll manage to make some time at some point and try out a nightly build in a VM. Thanks for your efforts!

I do suspect, done properly, this will certainly axe out some customers from OpenMediaVault for sure. It may end up being a particularly good product.