TrueNAS SCALE 21.06-BETA Now Available!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I’m pleased to announce that version 21.06 BETA of TrueNAS SCALE has just been released. With this first BETA, we kickoff the official pre-release testing cycles and prepare for a release version in the coming months. Users are encouraged to provide feedback on any issues found to our bug ticketing system so we can continue the work to make SCALE the best, most stable release possible.

For users currently running TrueNAS SCALE 21.04 ALPHA, online updates to 21.06 are now available in the user-interface. Notable changes since the last release include:

• Full functionality for importing NFSv4 & SMB ACLs / Extended Attributes from existing TrueNAS CORE (and ZFS on FreeBSD) pools.
  • A vastly improved Applications section, including support for adding 3rd party repositories such as TrueCharts to the user-interface.
  • When paired with the recently released TrueCommand 2.0, 21.06 now supports the creation of Clustered Datasets across 3 or more TrueNAS SCALE systems.

For more details, please checkout our release notes and we’re looking forward to hearing feedback from our early adopters and tester community.

Release Notes:

https://www.truenas.com/docs/releasenotes/scale/21.06-beta.1/

Download:

https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale/

rexit1982

Dabbler
Like white on rice!

1) Docs say SMB shares are not brought over during core to scale migration, is the version of samba that different or just not something implemented yet?
2) Attempting to do in-place update, installer ( iso over idrac to virtual CDROM) doesn't seem to see the previous installation. After I hit Install/Upgrade it goes to disk selection. Is tehre a log or something I can dig into after it dumps me to command line to look around?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Like white on rice!

1) Docs say SMB shares are not brought over during core to scale migration, is the version of samba that different or just not something implemented yet?
2) Attempting to do in-place update, installer ( iso over idrac to virtual CDROM) doesn't seem to see the previous installation. After I hit Install/Upgrade it goes to disk selection. Is tehre a log or something I can dig into after it dumps me to command line to look around?

I think the docs mentioned AFP shares are not brought over, SMB should be....

rexit1982

Dabbler
I think the docs mentioned AFP shares are not brought over, SMB should be....

Yea AFP didn't surprise me or any of the other stuff listed. Samba config conversion seemed pretty trivial compared to the other stuff ya'll are rolling.

Although TrueNAS will attempt to keep most of your CORE configuration data when upgrading to SCALE, some CORE-specific will not carry over. GELI Encrypted pools, NIS data, AFP and SMB shares, metadata, jails, tunables, and boot environments will not migrate from CORE to SCALE. Init/shutdown scripts will carry over, but may break.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yea AFP didn't surprise me or any of the other stuff listed. Samba config conversion seemed pretty trivial compared to the other stuff ya'll are rolling.

Although TrueNAS will attempt to keep most of your CORE configuration data when upgrading to SCALE, some CORE-specific will not carry over. GELI Encrypted pools, NIS data, AFP and SMB shares, metadata, jails, tunables, and boot environments will not migrate from CORE to SCALE. Init/shutdown scripts will carry over, but may break.

OK, I'll have to have team team check. I know out of that list all the things mentioned do not migrate, but I thought SMB was migrating now (Once we turn on the updates from CORE -> SCALE at a later point)

rexit1982

Dabbler
OK, I'll have to have team team check. I know out of that list all the things mentioned do not migrate, but I thought SMB was migrating now (Once we turn on the updates from CORE -> SCALE at a later point)
Oh, is that not turned on in 21.06? I went right to the install docs and saw the migration instructions with a 21.05 tag and thought it was in 21.06. Gotta read those release notes I suppose!

j_r0dd

Contributor
So you can't move from a nightly to the beta. It errors out saying the config is newer.....

j_r0dd

Contributor

rexit1982

Dabbler
then i guess i stay on the nightly train forever lol
Never messed with nightly, but if the config is data stamped and you stop updating the nightlies if the next beta has a later build date than the nightly you are on it might let you. That is how some other software I've played with worked.

j_r0dd

Contributor
Never messed with nightly, but if the config is data stamped and you stop updating the nightlies if the next beta has a later build date than the nightly you are on it might let you. That is how some other software I've played with worked.
it's not a big deal. i tried backups from a few days as well. i can stay where i'm at until 21.08

vampyren

Dabbler
Just installed this. The first observation, the NAS shuts itself down after a few minute, i'm at work so have not been able to dig deeper but its strange that twice i started it and it shut itself down after some minute. Maybe a setting but strange to me for a NAS that is suppose to run 24/7 :)

Kieeps

Dabbler
Just installed this. The first observation, the NAS shuts itself down after a few minute, i'm at work so have not been able to dig deeper but its strange that twice i started it and it shut itself down after some minute. Maybe a setting but strange to me for a NAS that is suppose to run 24/7 :)
I really doubt that's a feature :-D

vampyren

Dabbler
Creating dataset: ACL Mode had to be changed. Not sure what it is but i took disabled since i will rely on ACL so i dont think chmood is relevant but dont know.

When setting ACL i got this error: (again no idea why
Updating Dataset ACL
Error: [EINVAL] filesystem.setacl.dacl: Named (user or group) POSIX ACL entries require a mask entry to be present in the ACL. [EINVAL] filesystem.setacl.dacl: Presence of [OTHER] entry is required.

1624450629890.png

What do i need to do?

j_r0dd

Contributor
Creating dataset: ACL Mode had to be changed. Not sure what it is but i took disabled since i will rely on ACL so i dont think chmood is relevant but dont know.

When setting ACL i got this error: (again no idea why
Updating Dataset ACL
Error: [EINVAL] filesystem.setacl.dacl: Named (user or group) POSIX ACL entries require a mask entry to be present in the ACL. [EINVAL] filesystem.setacl.dacl: Presence of [OTHER] entry is required.

View attachment 47930

What do i need to do?

The error message is pretty clear. you need to include other. It needs all 3 at minimum.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.22.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.22.11 AM.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 548

vampyren

Dabbler
The error message is pretty clear. you need to include other. It needs all 3 at minimum.
Thanks, not very clear to noobs like me :)
And it still dont work
1624451288090.png

Also the ACL type i believe was inherit on Core but even if i save with below it will change back to POSIX. I only want my shares to work in windows and follow ACL. Dont understand why i must have Other either. I dont want other people then what i have in my group to see anything.
Again i'm noobish at this but learning....

1624451265217.png

vampyren

Dabbler
Yea, that sounds like a driver crash / bug? Any errors in the logs, or can you send us a debug file?
Sure. I send you a private message with the link. It has not crashed now so for some reason its stable again. Run Core before and it never did this. Pretty much standard component for NAS i would say. I have another post with detail on everything i have but maybe u get it in the log. Let me know if i can provide more info....
Thanks!

j_r0dd

Contributor
Thanks, not very clear to noobs like me :)
And it still dont work
View attachment 47933

Also the ACL type i believe was inherit on Core but even if i save with below it will change back to POSIX. I only want my shares to work in windows and follow ACL. Dont understand why i must have Other either. I dont want other people then what i have in my group to see anything.
Again i'm noobish at this but learning....

View attachment 47932
You don’t have to give others any perms. You can simply uncheck read, write, execute, but it needs to be set.
I haven’t seen that issue, but my ACL’s just carried over from CORE.