TrueNAS SCALE apps can't acces SMB shares???

urza

Dabbler
This seems to be so absurd that I don't know if to laugh or cry.

One of the advertised selling points of SCALE over CORE is APPs.

So I moved from CORE to SCALE, installed qBittorrent (Transmisson not offered in the catalog) and in the installation page pointed it to my "downloads" folder. This folder is also in SMB share. Obviously I want my torrent client to download files to a location that can me accessed from network.

But TreuNAS Scale can't mount smb shared folders into containers:

Error: [EINVAL] chart_release_create.qbitStorage.downloads.hostPath: Invalid mount '/mnt/pool/downloads/complete' path. Following service(s) use this path: SMB Share

Is this really the case? I find it hard to believe. Tell me I am doing something wrong please.

What is the reason of having apps on NAS when they can't write data to NAS shares???

elorimer

Contributor
Search

NickF

Guru
So, an important distinction here that I think you missed. When I realized what you did, it hit me like a lead balloon. I skim read what you said and ignored your picture.
Anyway, you indicated that your application is unable to access the TrueNAS SMB share. That’s not the same thing as not being able to host path mount the same site as your SMB share.
I didn't know if the particular apps supported that configuration, so I checked. At this time qBittorent, at least does not.

1689036731329.png

The TrueCharts version of the qBittorent App
1689036825696.png

To quote from the article linked above
If data must be shared between SMB and hostPath, how can these risks be mitigated?

Some applications allow for connections to SMB or NFS resources within the app container itself. This may require additional network configuration, such as a network bridge interface as described in the TrueNAS docs “Accessing NAS from a VM” as well as creating and using a user account specific to the application.

https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/scaletutorials/virtualization/accessingnasfromvm/

Users who enable third-party catalogs, such as TrueCharts, can additionally use different container path mount methods such as connecting to an NFS export. Filesystem permissions will need to be assigned to the data for the apps user in this case.

We at iX appreciate your feedback.

The recommendation from iXsystems is to mount it via SMB or NFS. Since SMB is unavailable in this instance, you can use NFS on the same dataset you are using for SMB. While running NFS and SMB on the same dataset has it's own quirks, doing so in a homelab situation with very little in the way of permissions and ACLs, I'm sure you will get on just fine.
But, yes, checkout https://truecharts.org/