TrueNAS Scale 23.10, Jellyfin and SMB Shares

taing

Cadet
I've seen bits and pieces of this discussed in other thread but no definitive answer on how to solve. I have a dataset that is an SMB share containing my media that is used by multiple other computers. This works great. The other machines can download and upload as needed.

I'd like to have the jellyfin app use this same dataset for its media. Ideally there will be other apps that will use the same dataset too - after all that's kinda the point of a central file server.

When I install the jellyfin app it has no problem with creating additional storage using Host Path /mnt/tank1/media/videos with a mount point of /videos. After that jellyfin appears to not have a problem creating a Media Library using the path /videos. Unfortunately, the logs show permission denied when jellyfin attempts to access /videos.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/videos' is denied.
---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

It would seem this is related to "hostpath safety checks" but I'm not sure how get things working.

I'm running TureNAS Scale 23.10.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I've seen bits and pieces of this discussed in other thread but no definitive answer on how to solve. I have a dataset that is an SMB share containing my media that is used by multiple other computers. This works great. The other machines can download and upload as needed.

I'd like to have the jellyfin app use this same dataset for its media. Ideally there will be other apps that will use the same dataset too - after all that's kinda the point of a central file server.

When I install the jellyfin app it has no problem with creating additional storage using Host Path /mnt/tank1/media/videos with a mount point of /videos. After that jellyfin appears to not have a problem creating a Media Library using the path /videos. Unfortunately, the logs show permission denied when jellyfin attempts to access /videos.

It would seem this is related to "hostpath safety checks" but I'm not sure how get things working.

I'm running TureNAS Scale 23.10.

Did you resolve this?

Host path safety checks can be disabled in Kubernetes settings.

https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/23.10/scaletutorials/apps/appsadvancedsettings/

taing

Cadet
The option to disable host path safety checks seems to have vanished in the latest update. The far better solution was to create a dataset that was both a SMB and NFS share and point Jellyfin at the NFS share.

1337beo

Cadet
I am running my jellyfin on my smb shares, no Problem at all. I guess you need to check your acl‘s or file permission on your dataset. In truenas jellyfin configuration, did you try to change the fsuser to a user with permission on the dataset? Typically the app user 568 would have no fileaccess if you didnt configure it in your acl or give at least read access for everyone with linux style rights.