Truenas Scale - Jellyfin truecharts - will not connect to dataset

canosgmk

Dabbler
Hello,

Truenas Scale v. 22.02.4
Jellyfin TrueCharts 10.8.8_13.0.4

I am trying to install and connect the app to the dataset but it always never show the mnt/user/etc... like in the youtube videos and jellyfin instructions.

Below will be a series of photos so you can see where im talking about.

I have learned that the app will not mount if you make the dataset have ACL. (deleted the datatset and rebuilt): NOTE: my "BIGSMB" does have ACL attached.

then i tried building the dataset with "jellyfin"/"music". The app will see "jellyfin" but not the music. however the app will not populate the "mnt/user/jellyfin" path. only "/jellyfin" (see photo).

I have tried permissions on the datasets from apps, root and kmain (my user). none of them worked. sadly, if I don't have permissions set to kmain, i can not upload music or movies to the dataset... so if the permissions have to be changed, please let me know how i can add items for the jellyfin library.

I have tried the jellyfin discord, but was over looked (lots of people having connecting issues remotely).

Thank you for any guidance.

Attachments

• jellyfin error.PNG
    jellyfin error.PNG
    30.1 KB · Views: 736
  • jellyfin setup 1.PNG
    jellyfin setup 1.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 688
  • jellyfin setup 2.PNG
    jellyfin setup 2.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 586
  • jellyfin setup 3.PNG
    jellyfin setup 3.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 564
  • jellyfin setup 4.PNG
    jellyfin setup 4.PNG
    34.5 KB · Views: 493
  • jellyfin setup 5.PNG
    jellyfin setup 5.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 638

canosgmk

Dabbler
last two photos

Attachments

• Jellyfin data set.PNG
    Jellyfin data set.PNG
    70.1 KB · Views: 587
  • jellyfin SMB Share.PNG
    jellyfin SMB Share.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 697

Heavy

Explorer
You set your mount point to /media not /mnt/whatever.

So when setting up jellyfin you need to look in /media

canosgmk

Dabbler
You set your mount point to /media not /mnt/whatever.

So when setting up jellyfin you need to look in /media
How long should jellyfin take to scan one folder with one song in it then? Maybe I’m being impatient.
also, what rights should I have? My user kmain, apps, root, etc?

Heavy

Explorer
Apps should be the user/group
I made a YT video setting up jellyfin on my "heavysetup" yt channel.
Might be worth watching a couple.
Or even some of the Truecharts YT channel to just kind of get an understanding on what's going on

canosgmk

Dabbler
Apps should be the user/group
I made a YT video setting up jellyfin on my "heavysetup" yt channel.
Might be worth watching a couple.
Or even some of the Truecharts YT channel to just kind of get an understanding on what's going on
You video is the one I was watching. Lol.

when you click on the path, the movie folders populate.
the problem is, I’m missing something super simple.

moreover, how did you get the dataset or media organized prior to installing jellyfin.

Meaning, this screenshot. Are all of these added dataset from the user pool?

Attachments

• 17EB37E3-C258-44D3-AE42-6D3F6B9959B2.png
    17EB37E3-C258-44D3-AE42-6D3F6B9959B2.png
    858.2 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:

Heavy

Explorer
Ahh. Yeah maybe permissions.

This is what mine looks like

Truenas GUI > Datasets > Click your media dataset > scroll down on the right column > Permissions > Edit

1671479514588.png

canosgmk

Dabbler
Nice!

so i went through and changed the media dataset to your photo and the 'music', 'movies' and 'tv' one. Now jellyfin sees the path. Sadly, i created a new issue. I can't transfer files to that folder so jellyfin can see it. I do have one folder with title of artist/title of album/three songs and I have one song loosely in the folder. jellyfin doesn't see any of that. but i cant edit with 'apps' as user.

Is this common, i have to change permission to edit the dataset and change it back for the app to work?

Attachments

• cant access.PNG
    cant access.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 811

Heavy

Explorer
Nice!

so i went through and changed the media dataset to your photo and the 'music', 'movies' and 'tv' one. Now jellyfin sees the path. Sadly, i created a new issue. I can't transfer files to that folder so jellyfin can see it. I do have one folder with title of artist/title of album/three songs and I have one song loosely in the folder. jellyfin doesn't see any of that. but i cant edit with 'apps' as user.

Is this common, i have to change permission to edit the dataset and change it back for the app to work?
You need to add your samba user to your apps group

But yeah sometimes if you move files manually with root, you'll have to apply permissions again

canosgmk

Dabbler
You need to add your samba user to your apps group

But yeah sometimes if you move files manually with root, you'll have to apply permissions again
Thanks!

your videos gave me the courage to start learning this NAS thing. at my old age, watching someone working with 'JAIL' and code is just way over my head.

i think the only complication i have now if organizing the music library for jellyfin can understand it. even after getting following the instructions on that link, i still can't access the dataset from my desktop. even rebooted the server to make sure that wasn't a thing. Looks like i have to change the permissions when i update the library for jellyfin, after i find out how to get it to see the 300gb of mp3s i have. :)

im going to go thought your website and make sure im on par.

thanks for the help!