TrueNAS SCALE 20.12 is Released!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS Community,

I'm pleased to announce that the next version of TrueNAS SCALE - 20.12 has now been officially released. This release marks an important milestone in the SCALE journey, as the initial support for Applications has landed in the UI, which includes using Kubernetes to run Helm Charts and native support for running Docker images. Almost all storage features have been improved, and a major undertaking for improving the TrueNAS UI/UX experience has taken shape in this version.

For a 20,000 foot view of how this release is shaping up, here's a quick look at the various components and subsystems which make up SCALE version 20.12.

TrueNAS SCALE 20.12 "Angelfish"
Feature GroupsQuality
Debian/ Linux Kernel 5.9RELEASE
Open ZFS 2.0RELEASE
TrueNAS Middleware and REST APIRC
TrueNAS WebUI (new features)BETA
NFS, SMB, AFP, iSCSI, S3, WebDAVRC
KVM VirtualizationRELEASE
Kubernetes and Docker ContainersBETA
Cluster DatasetsALPHA

As always we appreciate feedback, so please let us know on our Slack Channel, or file bug tickets on our Jira Tracker.

Release Notes:
https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/scale/releasenotes/20_12_alpha/

Developer Notes:
https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/scale/dev-notes/

Download:
https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale/

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It's worth noting that the software and APIs for Cluster Datasets (our term for scale-out ZFS storage) are included in this release. The web UI for creating these datasets will be in TrueCommand 2.0 which will be released during Q1.

Geek Baba

Explorer
This is great! Looking at release notes and dev notes, this is still alpha release right?

ornias

Wizard
This is great! Looking at release notes and dev notes, this is still alpha release right?
Yes it is.
It's more nuanced though: Some features are almost completely done and some features are not-done-at-all.
See the table above.

If a feature is "release" or "rc", you should be able to expect it to work (tm)

Geek Baba

Explorer
Thats right and so was the 20.10, I am already testing the 20.10 and my ultimate goal is to move my Debian instance to the SCALE, just trying to find a sweet spot to move my applications, the biggest advantage of the SCALE, which I do not see available today, is ZFS and Cluster Dataset which is managed via GUI. I have extensive experience in k8s and helm but the biggest challenge with them was scalable storage which can be used for app like Kube Plex, in my opinion SCALE is a game changer in filling the gap to converge k8s and scalable storage for gen pop.

ornias

Wizard
Thats right and so was the 20.10, I am already testing the 20.10 and my ultimate goal is to move my Debian instance to the SCALE, just trying to find a sweet spot to move my applications, the biggest advantage of the SCALE, which I do not see available today, is ZFS and Cluster Dataset which is managed via GUI. I have extensive experience in k8s and helm but the biggest challenge with them was scalable storage which can be used for app like Kube Plex, in my opinion SCALE is a game changer in filling the gap to converge k8s and scalable storage for gen pop.
In that case I would suggest awaiting the next release :)