TrueNAS (as a VM) + Nextcloud plugin + SMB share with complex group policy ... it is not going well

andrea.fait

Cadet
Greetings, I'm currently going sligthly mad on ACL permissions handling from the Nextcloud plugin installed on a TrueNAS Core (which is a VM in Proxmox because I like it complicated...) ... I was wondering if you could hint at what I'm doing wrong.
Specifically:
  • on Proxmox 7.4-3 I installed a VM hosting TrueNAS Core version 13.0-U5.3 (the idea behind it is that since Proxmox runs a cluster of 3 servers, I'd be able to live migrate the VM in a HA scenario);
  • on said VM I set up a dataset (called rootlevel) into a Pool (myPool), creating a number of subdatasets as required;
  • I also set up a number of user groups to cover the following ACL setup, and a couple of users to test it;
  • I also set up a SMB share on said dataset with a strict group policy (at least, it was strict at the very beginning), because I have a scenario as follows:
- rootlevel (every group and their mother can traverse it)​
-- folder 1 (only group A can write in it, group B can read its content, group C cannot access it)​
-- folder 2 (group A and C can read it, group B can write in it)​
--- folder 2.1 (only group C can access it and has full control of it)​
... and so on, it's not terrible but at its base it is that different group may have different permissions​
getting directly to the SMB share thru Explorer works like a charm (as expected), with every policy applied nicely;​
  • following the dozens guides/tutorials I found on the subject, I also added "www" in the ACL both as a user and as a group with Full Control on every dataset (which I find mostly irritating, but if that is required for it to work...);
  • on TrueNAS I installed the Nextcloud plugin. The TrueNAS UI does not provide a version for the plugin, it states N/A; the plugin itself once installed states in the same UI "13.1-RELEASE-p9"; more on this, once installed I checked thru the shell of the jail related to the plugin and it states version 27.1.3.2;
  • I mounted my dataset on the jail created during the plugin installation, setting "/mnt/myPool/rootlevel" as source and "/mnt/myPool/iocage/jails/SysDesignJail/root/mnt/rootlevel" as destination, with its IP set thru DHCP to keep it simple (I can always complicate it more lately);
  • I also set up the trusted domain thru the jail shell and went thru the required steps to limit some nuances (update PHP version, correct X-Robots-Tag); I still have to address HTTPS but as it was not blocking I thought I'll do it later (silly me, I know...);
  • on Chrome I logged in on the Nextcloud Web UI (it grumbles on the lack of SSL but it lets me log in), enabled the external storage addon and created the same users I set up on the SMB share;
  • I then added the SMB share as external storage in NextCloud Web UI: rootlevel as the folder name, /mnt/rootlevel as configuration, applied to the user I created (I later tried also with "every user", but found no difference);
  • logging in as any user I actually see the dataset and all its subfolders... which is kind of wrong since as a user I also see folders I'm not supposed to, or have write permissions where I'm supposed to have a read-only access;
  • client side I'm able to connect thru Nextcloud app and it syncs without issues (the more the shame that it does not sync as it should...);
  • I was kind of expecting such a behaviour since the jail relates to www:www as the owner:group owner of the service providing the web connection, but it is not what I read on all guides/tutorials I saw (mind, none of those was considering a folder/permission scenario as complx as the one I set up though);
  • as a "negative plus", there's no syncronization between the starting dataset and the one handled as destination by the jail (I had to add some further subdatasets, plus what I added from the web UI does not reflect in the starting dataset);
So... all in all, if you're still reading (and therefore survived the wall of text), could you elaborate on what am I doing wrong? The desired outcome was to be able to maintain the group policy I set up on the SMB share thru the ACL (the idea behind it was that adding SSL I could create a sort of Onedrive equivalent, to remotely access folder content when needed).

Davvo

MVP
I mean... going virtualization and using plugins, really? :confused: Plugins are deprecated and will be maintained only until 2025.

Use the following script instead.

Then you can use mount points instead of SMB shares.

Last edited: