Truenas-13.0-U4 Can't install Nextcloud

Jerren

Explorer
Hey, so as the topic title says it can't install and i get the following error
Error: nextcloud had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: DNS Exception: The DNS operation timed out after 30.003790140151978 seconds pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNS, check your network Partial plugin destroyed
It happens while at the install step of testing the dns, which i've tested from the Truenas shell itself where i did ping pkg.FreeBSD.org and got instant returns without interrupts.
Testing Host DNS response to pkg.FreeBSD.org

I've looked around on the forum and found that a ton of people seem to have an issue with it and i even found it at the known issues list from truenas for an older version of Truenas namely 13.0 release but saying that it's fixed in 13.0-U2. So my problem is different? I'm not sure but i'll say what i tried with links to the forum post that led me to trying it.

This one told me to uncheck NAT which worked for someone in that topic, sadly not for me. I tried advanced setup too since Yorick said another thing - Static IP, which means NAT unchecked, BPF unchecked, VNET checked. Set IP, mask, next-hop; keep interface blank. Tried those unfortunately no succes. The person that it worked for posted a screenshot showing that VNET was unchecked so i tried that. Also no succes.
Further down in that one another post said to clear the .plugins folder and to refresh the index of the plugs which worked for them.
rm -rf /mnt/<INSERT Jail pool name>/iocage/.plugins
Went into the shell, entered that command with my poolname, took a second to load the plugin window, clicked refresh and no succes.
Another person in there had adguardhome but doesn't apply to me since i don't have any special DNS things going on in my home network.
Next one had different VLAN's, again not aplicable since i have just the one NIC in my nas.

I have no idea what else it could be, been awhile since i tried installing something on Truenas so no idea if there was an update that maybe broke things? Updated to this one to try and fix a weird UPS losing connection for a short bit that was supposedly fixed but sadly no succes on that either. That's not important for this topic though as it works as is.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You shouldn't be using plugins at all; they're "all but deprecated" and "a path to sadness," as said by iX CTO:

Jerren

Explorer
Thanks alot for this info danb35! I had no idea this was going on as Truenas ran fine and i just use Emby on it. Guess it's ironic in a way that i use it in a jail since i had problems with the plugin way back and the people on the Emby forums helped me set up the jail. Kinda feels like they could send a mail out with that future of Truenas topic to atleast members of the forum (gotta start somewhere) because i'm sure there are plenty of people like me who let their nas run without checking the forum or what the company's plans are with it as long as their nas runs fine.

The only plugin running is Transmission. Guess i will have to start looking at Truenas Scale to see how smoothly a migration would be or if i would be better of doing a fresh install. And look around at what i need to keep an eye out for. Since plugins aren't a thing in there i'll have to use apps to install Transmission and Nextcloud.

Thanks again Danb35 for sharing this.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Note that it's plugins that are deprecated, not jails as such. You're free to manually install software in a jail (or use a script, hint, hint), and that's likely to remain stable and supported for the foreseeable future. But you really shouldn't be using plugins any more, particularly for anything new you're installing.

Jerren

Explorer
Hmm that's nice but i remember looking around for a way to set Nextcloud up in a jail as i had done with Emby and at the time i couldn't find information like that, or if i did then it was talked about in such a way that my knowledge fell short.
Another reason is that i might look at other things that i want to add to my nas in the future like home automation stuff and i rather have that on a platform that gets proper devtime.
Another would be that i would like to set my brother up with a Nas system in the future for extra data safety. I know that he's looking at a raspberry pi right now for some home automation but if i can put it on the nas then why not?

So i got a couple reasons at this moment that make me think switching isn't the worst idea, futher down the line that might begin piling up.

So far i found decent documentation on people migrating from Core to Scale and it seems to work fine for them. I know that my setup is very basic compared to those so that fills me with hope that it should go well for me too. Looking at the page truenas provides then i really only have plugins and jails to look at as a thing i don't know what will happen yet.

Since Scale doesn't have plugins, does that mean i have to delete my transmission plugin before migrating or not? Do i have to remove user configuration for it or not?
Same for Jails, do i need to remove those before upgrading or not? Are user settings transferred so it will still work or not?

I assume that i will have to remove them and redo my configurations which is honestly making me think it might be better to do a fresh install and just set it up from scratch. Because if i do that then my main worry is, will my datapools import without a problem or not and can i acces them?

Like i said, not really sure about it all right now but if people have feedback then i would love to hear it!

danb35

Hall of Famer
does that mean i have to delete my transmission plugin
You don't need to delete it, or your jails, but they won't run under SCALE.

gwpotter

Dabbler
You don't need to delete it, or your jails, but they won't run under SCALE.
Dan
I have a nextcloud plugin install thats been running OK, until today with the Truenas 13.0.5 update.
If i wanted to move to your script install.
Install it in the same pool.
can I move my existing sync files from the plugin install to your script install or is it better just to re-sync with PCs

danb35

Hall of Famer
It would probably be better to re-sync. In principle, if you can extract the data and the database, it could be made to work with my script, but you'd be pretty much on your own.

gwpotter

Dabbler
It would probably be better to re-sync. In principle, if you can extract the data and the database, it could be made to work with my script, but you'd be pretty much on your own.
Ill just re-sync once I get it rebuilt thanks

Jerren

Explorer
I was curious what you meant when you said jails and plugins won't run under SCALE so i installed Core on a VM and uploaded my config on it before upgrading it to Scale. Seems like i can't see either at all then so i think i might do a fresh install with Scale so there is no residual stuff left behind that i can never get rid off.

Not sure how it would work with exporting from Core and importing the datapools in Scale though. Any thoughts on that?
Because if it's not recommended or safe to do then i might just remove the jails and plugins on Core before migrating to Scale.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I do not quite understand the question. Linux does not support jails, plain and simple. TrueNAS SCALE features Helm charts instead. There is no way to convert in one direction or another, because these are vastly different technologies.

Jerren

Explorer
Oh yeah i saw that part when doing the virtual machine test, which is why i said it might be better to do a fresh install so nothing stays behind on my drives from those jails and plugins. Unless we know that the migration actually removes all that too instead of leaving it?

My question was mainly if i do a fresh install of Scale on the machine that has Core on it atm, can i import the old datapools from the Core install into the Scale OS? It's because the OS changes from FreeBSD to Linux that i'm worried that it might be an issue.

Again though if we know that the old plugins and jails from Core get removed from the system then i might just do the migrate option to avoid the potential export and import issue of datapools.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Unless we know that the migration actually removes all that too instead of leaving it?
Of course it leaves them. There might be valuable data in there.

And of course you can import the pool. It's all OpenZFS. That's the point. Everything concerning your jails is in the iocage dataset. Linux simply isn't bothered by some files lying around in a dataset with that name - why should it?

If you destroy the iocage dataset recursively, all jails and their datasets will be gone.

Jerren

Explorer
Ah ok, for me there's no valuable data in them but i can understand others might have some in there. I just have a transmission plugin, an Emby jail and a virtual machine for testing. So once i migrate i can just delete the iocage dataset and the virtual drive dataset to be sure there's no residual stuff that i can't use otherwise. I had honestly forgotten about the iocage dataset so thanks for pointing me to it.

Gonna go over things some more to make sure i can do it in one fell swoop and make sure the others in the family don't get annoyed by not being able to use Emby for too long ^^