TrueNAS 13.0-RELEASE has been released

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
http://update.freenas.org/FreeNAS/trains.txt still needs to be updated to reflect the new train. Otherwise, only manual updates using the TAR file at https://download.freenas.org/13.0/STABLE/RELEASE/TrueNAS-13.0-RELEASE-manual-update.tar are currently possible in the 12.0 UI.

Trying midclt call update.set_train "TrueNAS-13.0-STABLE" just results in:

middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [ENOENT] Invalid train name

We are anticipating enabling the train at the U1 or U2 milestone. We have a few known issues to solve first and appreciate the feedback in the meantime.

Last edited:
If you can still boot, then the bootloader doesn't care about this feature flag. If you can't then you're stuck reinstalling and reloading your config.

Not sure I want to reboot tonight only to find out I need to re-install from scratch, but I did save my config.

Not that everybody reads the release notes, but perhaps there should be a warning message discouraging users from upgrading the boot-pool.

It is indeed one way trip, but not all enabled features are immediately activated. As you see the only enabled feature is draid, which according to `man 7 zpool-features` should not activate unless you add draid vdev to the pool.
That would have been nice to know in advance. Perhaps the release notes would include something to that effect as the Alert message said to read first.

Not sure I want to reboot tonight only to find out I need to re-install from scratch, but I did save my config.

Not that everybody reads the release notes, but perhaps there should be a warning message discouraging users from upgrading the boot-pool.
Rebooted both systems and they both came up. I guess I got lucky.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Regarding Feature Flags, I’ll leave this Resource here because it answers most questions apart from two, which I’ll address here and update the resource later today:
  • Upgrading boot pools: Don’t. Definitely don’t on Linux (thanks GRUB /s) Be extra careful on FreeBSD and try it out on a test system first, if you absolutely need a specific new feature flag. You probably should just leave it alone.
  • New feature flags for TrueNAS 13: I haven’t checked yet, but I’m told it’s just draid and as per @mav@ above, it’s only set to active if a DRAID vdev is added to the pool. So it’s one of those that would be incompatible, but it’s fine if you don’t actually use the feature in question.
So my advice? Ignore the warnings. You probably should not be adding a DRAID vdev to an existing pool. If and when you create a new pool and use DRAID, the flag will naturally keep you from downgrading because older versions don’t support DRAID.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Dabbler
We are anticipating enabling the train at the U1 or U2 milestone. We have a few known issues to solve first and appreciate the feedback in the meantime.
So - no updates will be available for TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 to 13-STABLE release ? Only manual?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As Kris said, the update train will be enabled after a round (or two) of bug fixes.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So - no updates will be available for TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 to 13-STABLE release ? Only manual?

Not yet, but we have to decided to enable it soon rather than wait until after U1.

Stilez

Guru
But it doesnt seem to be added?

http://update.freenas.org/FreeNAS/trains.txt contains 9.10 through to 12.0 sdtable and 12.1 nightlies. No 13.0.

I don't mind this, but I think it's poor communication perhaps? You dont announce to the world that 13.0 is ready and available, and then say in effect "by the way, we'we dont trust our existing user base to upgrade to it yet, because of further bug fixes".

We know that U1 and U2 are usually bug fix rounds, for the last things and new finds. But if a release is known, at the point of go/no-go, to be not good enough for current users to trust reasonably fully and upgrade, why on earth did I get an email promoting it as ready to upgrade to? That's very contradictory and feels poorly managed. And outright, wrong action.

I'd rather it delayed if there was a doubt on that scale. I certainly couldnt say its okay for newcomers but not upgraders, or message upgraders then when they check the UI it's missing, then only in the forums add "but its not okay for you yet"

Or maybe I've misunderstood?

What actually is the reason it wasn't added to trains and made a WebUI-upgradable version, on the day it was formally announced to be released? Puzzled and a bit "this feels wrong". But perhaps unfairly so?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Puzzled and a bit "this feels wrong". But perhaps unfairly so?
No, I don't think it's unfair. Especially when they reverse course two days later.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This is why you hang back on new major version releases. No way in heck I was going to update until at least a couple point releases have come out. I get that the community is the beta testers but I have things that I need to keep functional. Waaaay too many people just have to have the latest shiny new thing without understanding the risk that it entails.

And just so I don't sound like I'm piling on I really do appreciate the iX team for putting out such an incredible product that we all can use for free.

Samuel Tai

@Jailer, I whole-heartedly agree. I'll drop this reminder on how to safely upgrade, and how to roll back if you run into a problem after the upgrade.

Apollo

Wizard

Samuel Tai

Stilez

Guru
@Stilez, I picked up an older trains.txt URL. The current is https://update-master.ixsystems.com/TrueNAS/trains.txt.
Helpful.

This is why you hang back on new major version releases. No way in heck I was going to update until at least a couple point releases have come out. I get that the community is the beta testers but I have things that I need to keep functional. Waaaay too many people just have to have the latest shiny new thing without understanding the risk that it entails.

And just so I don't sound like I'm piling on I really do appreciate the iX team for putting out such an incredible product that we all can use for free.

But still, the takeaway issue is consistent messaging.

@ iX - We get that initial release and early U1/U2 arent enterprise ready yet, and the community acts as beta testers. It doesnt hurt to remind people either - expectations etc.

What's a problem is contradictory messaging -
  • It's a ready and tested release - no wait it isn't a release that anyone can trust because even community are told not to try it yet
  • It's a release available now - oh wait it isnt available now
    And the latest contradictory message...
  • SOFTWARE LIFECYCLE STATEMENT: "RELEASE = Suitable for less complex deployments"
    GUI ALERT ON TRYING - "13.0 RELEASE = This is not a production release, and should only be used for testing"
If the GUI message is right, then 13.0 isnt a release version, by software cycle definition, because to be a release means it's suitable for simple non critical deployment, not just non productrion testing with production warned off.

My guess is, the GUI message is the problem, and what's actually meant is, "Initial releases should not be used in critical or complex deployments. Please see software lifecycle before deciding whether to upgrade".

But if so, that's not what it says, and what it says misleads and contradicts. And that contradictory messaging would be nice as a takeaway, never to have again? :)

(Also echoing @Jailer - thank you, none of this detracts from awesomeness. Its just presentation of awesomeness matters too, as that's the point most first see it rolled out of the showroom)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
GUI ALERT ON TRYING - "13.0 RELEASE = This is not a production release, and should only be used for testing"
Isn't that an old bug that was supposed to have been fixed?

Samuel Tai

I upgraded via the trains GUI, and it was mostly a non-event. The only change I had to make afterwards was to add PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms +ssh-rsa to the SSH service's Auxiliary parameters to get my PuTTY keys to work.