TrueNAS 13.0-RELEASE has been released

j.lanham

Explorer
Is this going to be rebased to Freebsd 13.1 since it was released on May 16th? Or is this already based on it?

The reason I ask is that once I upgrade to it on the U1 release, does that mean our jails will only be valid for a few months after upgrading them and then the updates will no longer be valid just like 12 has been invalidated?

j.lanham

Explorer
13.1 should already be an available release for jails.
From what I understood about jails, they utilize the base operating system for a some of the base functionality. If that's true then doesn't the base os have to match the jail os? If that is not the case, the I would be happy to understand better how jails work.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
They use the single kernel running and each come with its own userland. So as long as the kernel ABI does not change, you are fine. And TrueNAS is not really based on 13.0. It's based in 13-STABLE which is a moving target somwhere in the 13.X release branch. So currently it's probably closer to 13.1 than to 13.0.

Backwards compatibility (running a 13.0 jail on a 13.1 kernel) is guaranteed. Forward compatibility is strived for, but cannot always be achieved. Most of the time it works.

See below for a visualization of how close these versions are to each other:
freebsd_versions-png.9652

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeBSD maintains binary compatibility with older versions, so you can run older jails.

In this very specific case, TrueNAS is effectively already on FreeBSD 13.1, but was launched something like a week earlier due to a last-minute security issue that delayed the FreeBSD release (and was rolled into TrueNAS for release).

I don't know how this affects version checks, but the codebase is basically ready. If 13.1 jails don't yet work, expect them to be available in an update like -U1.

Edit: Ninja'd

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, I don't see anything obviously wrong. Can you edit posts elsewhere? This could be a permissions thing in the Announcements section.

In the meantime, I'll edit your post for you.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hmm, I don't see anything obviously wrong. Can you edit posts elsewhere? This could be a permissions thing in the Announcements section.
In the meantime, I'll edit your post for you.
Thanks - I guess it's the forum configuration. Probably best you just delete the last three posts including this one, now. ;)

ThreeDee

Guru
From what I understood about jails, they utilize the base operating system for a some of the base functionality. If that's true then doesn't the base os have to match the jail os? If that is not the case, the I would be happy to understand better how jails work.
I just recently updated my 2 jails to 13.1 release .. both are working just fine (Plex and UniFi Controller manual installs)

indy

Patron
I am seeing some performance drops to during large file transfers from TrueNAS to my PC via SMB:

27gib-transfer.png

(The first half is close to the maximum disk or network speed, then it drops to almost zero, recovers and finally stabilizes at a lower level)
Otherwise performance is very good, large directory listings are snappy and small lags when opening files are gone (compared to old pool on 11.3-U5).

Also the reporting graphs do not auto-refresh on Firefox.

Hudson547

Cadet
That's great news! TrueNAS 13.0-RELEASE is finally here. Excited to see the new features and improvements it brings. Looking forward to upgrading and experiencing the enhanced capabilities. Well done, TrueNAS team!..