TrueNAS 12.0-U1 Quality Update

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I had something like this happen to one of my servers, where the backplane died, and the server would no longer boot with the backplane connected. It ended up the backplane got fried when the power supply went south, so I had to replace both to get the server back up. Your data should still be safe, but you'll need to systematically check what works with various parts disconnected.

Selassie

Dabbler
I had something like this happen to one of my servers, where the backplane died, and the server would no longer boot with the backplane connected. It ended up the backplane got fried when the power supply went south, so I had to replace both to get the server back up. Your data should still be safe, but you'll need to systematically check what works with various parts disconnected.
Thanks for that, here goes that long process or testing everything

ThreeDee

Guru
perhaps the process of rebooting exposed a failing hardware component ..

Romainp

Cadet
Just apply the update and discover this after the reboot.
I have a backup of the config but I am not sure what do do right now...
1611030499623.png

n0one

Cadet

Rebooting to 12.0-RELEASE solved my exact same problem, its something broken in -u1 with LSI drivers and Supermicro expander backplane it seems

I looked up a couple of FreeBSD posts and the issue seems to have been either (a) firmware needs to be upgraded or (b) there is a hardware fault. Of course, this does not rule out the FreeBSD driver - the articles are a little old.

viniciusferrao

Contributor
I looked up a couple of FreeBSD posts and the issue seems to have been either (a) firmware needs to be upgraded or (b) there is a hardware fault. Of course, this does not rule out the FreeBSD driver - the articles are a little old.

20.00.07.00 is the latest firmware public available for LSI SAS2 HBA cards.

Fortinbras

Dabbler
Hey Kris, I wanted to make you aware that whatever the team did with ZFS in the U1 or U1.1 release has restored my ability to do raw receive of ZFS-native- encrypted datasets on my TrueNAS box. My travails are documented in this poorly titled posting (at first I had no idea of what was going on):

Raw receive wasn't an outright fail; it would take about 20 minutes before the TrueNAS box would suddenly panic and reboot.

I can't really tell you whether it was U1 or U1.1 that fixed it; I skipped over U1 to U1.1 in the upgrade process.

Raw receive wasn't an outright fail; it would take about 20 minutes before the TrueNAS box would suddenly panic and reboot.

I can't really tell you whether it was U1 or U1.1 that fixed it; I skipped over U1 to U1.1 in the upgrade process.

I suffered from the same bug. I'm going to wait until -U2 before attempting to send/recv my problematic dataset again.

Interesting that the hotfix for -U1.1 actually resolved this, or at least for certain setups.

vpv

Dabbler
I can't install the update from the GUI. It says

Code:
Error: [EFAULT] Unable to mount boot-environment 12.0-U1.1-1

Replying to my own message, I didn't do anything special for a week, we just used the NFS and SMB mounts as we usually do and now the update worked. Somehow the system was able to fix itself. Not sure what happened.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Replying to my own message, I didn't do anything special for a week, we just used the NFS and SMB mounts as we usually do and now the update worked. Somehow the system was able to fix itself. Not sure what happened.
My guess is the CDN that distributes the updates was not properly synced for distribution of the update...

jjstecchino

Contributor
View attachment 44413
What motherboard and what LSI controller do you use?
I had this issue using an older LSI controller on a newer (at that time) Supermicro motherboard. After a lot of head scratching I realized the LSI controller was PCI 2.0 and the motherboard was trying to run it as PCI 3.0. Setting the BIOS to use PCI 2.0 for the LSI controller solved the problem.
On my Supermicro MB the setting is under Advanced->Chipset Configuration->System Agent Configuration->PCIe Configuration. Here is a screnshot showing how I had to force the PCIe 3.0 controller to use PCIe Gen2. The default of Auto was running the LSI adapter as a PCIe 3.0 for some reason and I was having exactly the same error on your screenshot. I hope it helps.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 2.54.14 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 2.54.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 2.54.14 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 299

Elo

Contributor
Hi I have noticed a peculiarity with my SMBs (TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1 ). I have two TrueNAS servers and I have two Windows servers one 2016 and one 2019. There are also several Windows 10 machines. After upgrading I can no longer access my SMBs from the WIndows 2016 server but its ok from W10 machines and Server 2019. The TrueNAS servers are part of our domain. It seems that the Windows Server no longer can do DNS lookup and the name of the TrueNAS servers are no longer reckognised with the error that the TrueNAS server cannot be found on the network (The WIndows Servers are also DNS servers in the domain, DNS lookup working ok on W10).

Anyone have any idea?

ornias

Wizard
Hi I have noticed a peculiarity with my SMBs (TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1 ). I have two TrueNAS servers and I have two Windows servers one 2016 and one 2019. There are also several Windows 10 machines. After upgrading I can no longer access my SMBs from the WIndows 2016 server but its ok from W10 machines and Server 2019. The TrueNAS servers are part of our domain. It seems that the Windows Server no longer can do DNS lookup and the name of the TrueNAS servers are no longer reckognised with the error that the TrueNAS server cannot be found on the network (The WIndows Servers are also DNS servers in the domain, DNS lookup working ok on W10).

Anyone have any idea?
Idea: Make your own topic instead of hijacking this announcement ;-)

Elo

Contributor
Idea: Make your own topic instead of hijacking this announcement ;-)

Realy? Its not easy to see from all the posts here. And there is no hijacking... I am reporting a issue that came after doing the upgrade which I thought would be interesting for the developers... If not just ignore it instead of sending grumpy replies

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@Elo Infrequent visits and announcements from @Kris Moore and @anodos aside this is a user/community forum. This is not a way to contact "the developers". They don't read here. Please file an issue with iXsystems' JIRA: jira.ixsystems.com.

Elo

Contributor
:frown: From Kris at the start of this thread: I wanted to post an update today on the general state of TrueNAS 12.0-U1 quality as well as a heads up of some of the issues we are tracking for resolution in TrueNAS 12.0-U2. I was just offering insight into an issue I got when upgrading from FreeNAS to TrueNAS perhaps of interest to the VP of engineering and others who started this thread.. (not an attempt to contact the developers).. Perhaps reactions are due to my lack of mastering English. I rest my case and will post in a more suitable thread..

Last edited: