TrueNAS 12.0-U1 Plans

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The original Blog is here: https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/truenas-12-u1-is-scheduled/

We wanted to update everyone on the progress of the TrueNAS 12.0 release train. In just four weeks, more than 20,000 systems have been upgraded to TrueNAS 12.0. The feedback on performance and feature improvements has been excellent. TrueNAS 12.0-U1 has entered development code-freeze and is now entering its final QA cycle for availability in early December.

TrueNAS 12.0 RELEASE was made available October 20, 2020, and with it, TrueNAS CORE and TrueNAS Enterprise were available for production deployments. TrueNAS 12.0 was also the official merger of FreeNAS and TrueNAS into a unified software image accompanied by a long list of features and performance improvements. The TrueNAS 12.0 Release notes provide all the technical details.

TrueNAS Enterprise users (M-Series and X-Series) can manually upgrade to TrueNAS 12.0 RELEASE if specific features are needed. With TrueNAS 12.0-U1, the UI-based online update will be made available. This process is simpler and faster than manual updating; however, we still recommend that our clients contact iXsystems support and schedule the upgrade with them to make sure the best practices are followed and any issues are resolved along the way. In all cases, we recommend upgrading to TrueNAS 11.3-U5 before moving to 12.0, so that a roll-back is possible.

TrueNAS 12.0-U1 has also resolved the most significant bugs reported and has allowed us to add a few new features.

Bugs resolved include:

• Reporting UI: Issues with some WebUI themes causing the Reporting sections of the UI to not fully load and display data.
  • SNMP Performance: SNMP usage leading to very high CPU utilization.
New features added include:

• TRIM: TRIM can now be enabled or disabled via the webUI. It improves performance with SSDs that have high quality TRIM implementations.
  • Top Users: The system can report the busiest storage clients and which protocols they are using via SNMP.
  • Scrub and resilver Performance: Improvements in the algorithms allow scrubbing and resilvering to have less impact on busy workloads while also completing faster.
  • Fusion Pools (the ability to have SSDs and HDDs in the same pools): The webUI has added the capability to specify that small blocks are assigned to the special flash vdevs. The size of the small block is configurable.
TrueNAS System improvements include:

• M60: The TrueNAS M60 (with up to 23GB/s and 1 Million IOPS), the ES-102 (102 bay HDD expansion), and the ES-24F (24 SSD bay expansion), and are all now shipping with visual enclosure management.
M-Series-Graphic-2.png

• R-Series: Visual enclosure Management has been enabled for the TrueNAS R10, R20, R40, and R50 so that the status of drives and systems are easily viewed remotely.
R-Series-Graphic-2.png

• NVME Hot swap enables the high performance drives to be used as performance vdevs in Fusion pools (pools with flash vdevs and HDD vdevs). Early testing of Fusion Pools has been promising and there will be more to come later.
  • Mini and X-Series systems will also benefit from all the bug fixes and new features.
Below is a graphic showing TrueNAS 12.0-U1 enclosure management of the TrueNAS R50 with 48 HDD bays. It simplifies monitoring, diagnostics, and operations of larger systems, saving hours of admin time and further preventing downtime.

R-Graphic.png

TrueCommand CLOUD

TrueNAS 12.0 also includes support for TrueCommand CLOUD, a SaaS version of TrueCommand which includes a VPN capability for managing across sites. Service trials have started and are going well. We expect to make this service generally available in December at the same time as TrueNAS 12.0-U1.

TrueNAS 12.0 Documentation is reaching parity with 11.3

TrueNAS 12.0 has moved to a more modern documentation style that encourages contribution. The new documentation is more modular and expandable, and is now nearly as comprehensive as that of FreeNAS 11.3. We’ll continue to improve usability once completeness is achieved. Please check out the 12.0 documentation even if you don’t upgrade today. We’re grateful for all the contributions received thus far!

Migrating between TrueNAS 12.0-U2 and TrueNAS SCALE 20.12

One of the side benefits of the massive TrueNAS 12.0 and OpenZFS 2.0 work is TrueNAS SCALE. While TrueNAS SCALE 20.10 “Angelfish” is based on 90% of the same software, SCALE is less mature but very promising. For most users, we recommend moving to TrueNAS 12.0 and OpenZFS 2.0. From there, users can stay with CORE or Enterprise editions or migrate in 2021 to SCALE for Linux services or scale-out functionality. We call this flexibility, “Storage Freedom”. In TrueNAS 12.0-U2 we plan to automate migration to TrueNAS SCALE for those that need Kubernetes or scale-out. Like TrueNAS CORE, TrueNAS SCALE is free and Open Source.

FreeNAS to TrueNAS 12.0 Upgrades are Easy

For those with FreeNAS installed on your system, we recommend upgrading first to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 and then you can upgrade to TrueNAS 12.0 with a single click and roll-back options! Otherwise, download TrueNAS 12.0 to get started.

TrueNAS 12.0 can operate on all of the iXsystems platforms from the FreeNAS and TrueNAS Minis, to the power-efficient X-Series, all the way up to the flagship High availability (HA) M-Series. There is also a new R-Series product line that can run CORE, Enterprise, and SCALE editions of TrueNAS.

For those with TrueNAS HA systems and support contracts, we recommended contacting iXsystems support to schedule an upgrade. We will verify your systems’ health, configuration, and support the upgrade process to minimize issues.

TrueNAS CORE: Still the best Free NAS

TrueNAS 12.0-U1 improvements continue to make it the best Free NAS system available. If you have any questions or comments, we’d love to hear them on the community forums, on the TrueNAS subreddit, or in response to this blog. If you need additional information on how TrueNAS can streamline, accelerate, and unify data management for your business, please contact us.

ThreeDee

Guru
1606515566541.png

TrueNAS 12.0 Documentation is reaching parity with 11.3
Does that mean VLAN and bridge configuration will be added soon?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
NVME Hot swap enables the high performance drives to be used as performance vdevs in Fusion pools (pools with flash vdevs and HDD vdevs). Early testing of Fusion Pools has been promising and there will be more to come later.

This will also have a major positive impact on those using U.2 NVMe drives (eg: Optane) for SLOG devices.

x130844

Dabbler
Hello,
I couldn't find a clear answer, but does it mean that 12.0-U1 may have SMB issues fixed? or speed problems on drives and 10gbe cards?
Or will it need to wait at later releases?
Thank you

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I couldn't find a clear answer, but does it mean that 12.0-U1 may have SMB issues fixed? or speed problems on drives and 10gbe cards?

The source of truth for all issues is in the jira system available by the "report a bug" link. For 12.0-U1 there are 190 issues... probably 100+ of them are fixes, mostly minor. Several are SMB related. I'd recommend finding the NAS-xxxxxx issue related to your system .. if its not there, report the bug.

douglaing

Cadet
I have a problem with 12.0 (New system not upgrade from FreeNAS) with the system locking up and I see other people having the same problem. Just wondering if this is a bug that will be fixed with this update.

Here is my configuration:
TrueNas 12.0

Dell PowerEdge T330

32Gb ECC Ram

Intel Xeon E3-1239 3.5Ghz

Profile Performance with C States Disabled

Two Kingston 120Gb SSD as startup mirrored

Syba 8 port SATA Non-Raid Dual Marvell 9215

Eight Western Digital Red 4Tb drives WD40EFRX

Three more Western Digital Red 4Tb drives WD40EFRX on built in controller in ACHI non raid mode intended as hot-swap. ( was unable to set this up, expansion to hot swap is grayed out)

Single RAIDZ2 pool from the above eight 4Tb drives 17% used space.

Pougins: Plex media server V 1.20.5.3600, Syncthing V 1.10.0

Three CloudSync Tasks to BackBlaze B2 (current up to date)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last error:
The following alert has been cleared:
* Failed to check for alert BootPoolStatus:
concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 239, in _process_worker
r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 91, in main_worker
res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run
return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 33, in _call
with Client('ws+unix:///var/run/middlewared-internal.sock', py_exceptions=True) as c:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 281, in __init__
self._ws.connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 124, in connect
rv = super(WSClient, self).connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ws4py/client/__init__.py", line 223, in connect
bytes = self.sock.recv(128)
socket.timeout: timed out
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/alert.py", line 706, in __run_source
alerts = (await alert_source.check()) or []
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/alert/source/boot_pool.py", line 16, in check
pool = await self.middleware.call("zfs.pool.query", [["id", "=", boot_pool]])
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1233, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1199, in _call
return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in _call_worker
return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1132, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1106, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
socket.timeout: timed out
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to reboot from the console but it took over an hour. Normally I force power down the back up.

Disabled Syncthing today but the system still crashes with the same error.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I have a problem with 12.0 (New system not upgrade from FreeNAS) with the system locking up and I see other people having the same problem. Just wondering if this is a bug that will be fixed with this update.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last error:
The following alert has been cleared:
* Failed to check for alert BootPoolStatus:
concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""

Seems similar to this: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-106540
It might be a boot drive issue.. if not please report it as a bug.

Gcon

Explorer
The date originally said the 8th but now saying the 9th
TrueNAS 12.0-U12020/12/09

I keep checking but there's no U1 released yet. I"m UTC +10 (Eastern Australia) and it's going on 6pm here. It's only 2am in New York, so looks like I'll be leaving it until tomorrow (my time).

helios_x

Dabbler
It's here now! TrueNAS 12.0-U1
1607518949935.png

Last edited:
Why there is warning "This is not a production release, and should only be used for testing." ?

I was about to ask the same thing. Normally, there's a link to the changelog and release notes. This time there's a warning that the udpate is not a prouction release? I'm on the STABLE train.

usern

Dabbler
When I tried to download updates from web ui, then the download was very slow and checksum failed eventually.

helios_x

Dabbler
When I tried to download updates from web ui, then the download was very slow and checksum failed eventually.
The same for me! Second time much faster and install went well!

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
hmmmm no reporting....
and u1 is not listed in the download server index

Last edited: