TrueNAS 12.0-U7 Released

Constantin

Vampire Pig

Arwen

MVP
Well, it was 3 when I logged into Jira a minute ago. Now it's 4, (one from me).

pader

Cadet
12.0-U7 is a really bad update, these happend on my NAS:

After rollback to 12.0-U6.1, they workd fine.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Following is copy / paste from Samba mailing lists:
this is a heads-up that there will be Samba security updates for 4.13 ,
4.14 and 4.15 on Monday, January 31 2022. Please make sure that your
Samba servers will be updated soon after the release!Impacted components:
- File server (CVSS 4.2, Medium)
- AD DC (CVSS 8.8, High)
- VFS Modules (CVSS 9.9, Critical)

We do not build with AD-DC role, but other two CVEs will potentially impact those of you who have SMB deployed in your environment. We will roll this into the U8 update. If your server is deployed at $place-of-work, you may wish to go ahead and schedule a maintenance window for upgrades.

Do note that same applies to other vendors using Samba in their products, and so you should keep an eye open for updates from WD, Synology, etc (as well as being prepared to update any Samba DCs you have in your environment).

Last edited:

raidflex

Guru
So guessing U8 is not releasing today, I noticed it was scheduled to?

NASbox

Guru
I see that U8 is having a few Samba related issues which is delaying the release. First, thanks to the devs for getting it right rather than just getting it out. Curious if this is a Samba issue or if TrueNAS is causing the issue.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I see that U8 is having a few Samba related issues which is delaying the release. First, thanks to the devs for getting it right rather than just getting it out. Curious if this is a Samba issue or if TrueNAS is causing the issue.
Release is delayed due to upstream CVE.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems

Forza

Explorer
CVE info from upstream samba: https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2021-44142.html
Our corresponding jira ticket: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-114468

Keep an eye open for security release from other vendors using samba (if you synology, WD, etc devices deployed in your environment). If you have a (CentOS / FreeBSD / Debian / other linux distro) samba server deployed it would also be a good idea to start planning to upgrade soon.
It's only systems that use the VFS module vfs_fruit, which is Apple shares, isn't it?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's only systems that use the VFS module vfs_fruit, which is Apple shares, isn't it?
It's only if vfs_fruit is enabled with certain configuration options. Even when fruit is enabled in TrueNAS we do not enable these options by default. The only cases where they will be enabled are:
Core / Enterprise:
* AFP / SMB shares on same path
* SMB Shares created with "Multi-protocol AFP/SMB" preset

SCALE:
* SMB shares with "Legacy AFP Compatibility" (this only happens during migration from Core -- or if user decides to ignore warnings about touching this setting)

BOTH:
* SMB shares where user decided to manually override our defaults thorugh auxiliary parameters.

Last edited:

Borja Marcos

Contributor
Understood.

I have deleted some old AFP shares I am no longer using (I stopped using AFP at all a long time ago) but some SMB shares show those parameters. What am I supposed to do in that case? Destroy the SMB shares and recreate them? Is there a simpler way?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Understood.

I have deleted some old AFP shares I am no longer using (I stopped using AFP at all a long time ago) but some SMB shares show those parameters. What am I supposed to do in that case? Destroy the SMB shares and recreate them? Is there a simpler way?
That alters how apple metadata is written and so is maybe not path forward. Not advising one way or another, but those are the facts. U8 will be released tomorrow.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
yay, graphs!!

:smile:

Sorry

GastonJ

Dabbler
I'm now on U8, upgraded a few minutes back. Also the reporting now works in Chrome based browsers, graphs at last, or does for me using Edge.

Well done

NASbox

Guru
Anyone found any downsides to the upgrade?

NugentS

MVP
Not yet - but its early and hasn't got a .1 so there ought to be something.......

:smile:

rvassar

Guru
It's still not handling disks correctly. My boot pool is a mirrored pair of 60Gb SATA SSD's... Devices ada0 and ada1. The UI shows ada0 as belonging to pool "freenas-boot", and ada1 listed as "N/A". From the cli, running "zpool status freenas-boot" shows ada1 as a member of a mirrored pool.

On edit: Create pool in the UI presents it as available for use in a new pool.

rvassar

Guru