TrueNAS 12.0-U7 Released

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Curiously enough, my pool got nuked as part of the upgrade. It's showing now with a white X in a red ball and my only option is to disconnect it.

Time to brush up on the pool re-importation process, and thank goodness there is a auto-save function for the config file as part of the upgrade process.

[EDIT]
Turns out all three sVDEV drives were disconnected per the UI. As if I had pulled their sleds from the backplane. The CLI suggested I destroy the pool and rebuild from backup.

Once I pulled and reinserted the drives from their SATA backplane, all three re-appeared per the UI, and now the pool could be successfully imported. The pool is now 100% functional. Weird!

Last edited:
Curiously enough, my pool got nuked as part of the upgrade. It's showing now with a white X in a red ball and my only option is to disconnect it.

Time to brush up on the pool re-importation process, and thank goodness there is a auto-save function for the config file as part of the upgrade process.

[EDIT]
Turns out all three sVDEV drives were disconnected per the UI. As if I had pulled their sleds from the backplane. The CLI suggested I destroy the pool and rebuild from backup.

Once I pulled and reinserted the drives from their SATA backplane, all three re-appeared per the UI, and now the pool could be successfully imported. The pool is now 100% functional. Weird!
This was triggered by the update? :oops:

So physically unplugging and re-plugging resolved it? Not even a reboot was enough?

That's scary, and you seem pretty calm and chill for someone who at first believed their pool was nuked. o_O

Constantin

Vampire Pig
This was triggered by the update? :oops:

So physically unplugging and re-plugging resolved it? Not even a reboot was enough?
As best as I can tell, it was the update. That in turn seems to have borked all three Intel 1.6TB DC S3610 that I use in a 3-way sVDEV mirror at once. Per the UI, they were gone. Restarting didn't help, reverting to 12u6.1, etc. did nothing. See my report here.

So I decided to pull the drives from the hard drive enclosure and re-insert them in other SATA backplane positions. As soon as I did that, the console lit up with its usual torrent of data associated with devices getting added. After that, importing the pool worked just fine. It's now online, no issues.

My ask to iXsystems as a result of this experience is giving users better feedback when a pool import fails. Such as "Hey, your pool import failed.
  • The following drives are present.
    • Drive Type/ Role | VDEV | SATA PORT | Capacity | Serial Number
    • xxxxx
  • The following drives are missing:
    • xxxxx
  • The following drives are reporting they have failed (using SMART data)
    • xxxxx"
Should not be insurmountable and a better feedback than "your pool needs to be destroyed and rebuilt from backups"

As @jgreco noted, sometimes a hard power cycle is necessary where a restart does not suffice. My guess it has to do with the firmware in the SSDs since all other SSDs in my system restarted fine, ditto the HDDs.

Last edited:

SKova

Dabbler
Before updating (with U6) the graphs worked correctly with chrome 96, now with U7 are broken.
I noticed the same thing, immedidately after the update, they stopped working in Brave where they were working before.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Same issue here. Curiously, the dashboard still works. Different kind of graphs, I guess?

Same issue here. Curiously, the dashboard still works. Different kind of graphs, I guess?

Samuel Tai said:
5xdsy9.jpg

:tongue:

SKova

Dabbler
I noticed the same thing, immedidately after the update, they stopped working in Brave where they were working before.
Add that Brave on iOS is still working correctly, just not in the Windows version.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Add that Brave on iOS is still working correctly, just not in the Windows version.
Brave, like all browsers on iOS, is just a skin on top of Safari. On other platforms, it's glorified Chromium.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Brave, like all browsers on iOS, is just a skin on top of Safari. On other platforms, it's glorified Chromium.
As I understand it, Braves business model is not as intrusive as Google’s? It’s the primary reason I tend to use Brave for casual browsing.

SeaFox

Explorer
As I understand it, Braves business model is not as intrusive as Google’s? It’s the primary reason I tend to use Brave for casual browsing.
Chromium != Google Chrome

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Thank you for that. Fwiw, brave seems to be built on chromium and seems to feature auto-updates. To me, that’s a pretty good combination since flash support was never my thing, ditto tracking by google.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Looking at the iX Jira, 12.0-U7.1 seems to be mostly feature complete, and will likely drop after the New Year.
These are the patches currently slated to be shipped:
  • NAS-113985 - Merge OpenZFS 2.0.7
  • NAS-113925 - Provide correct file generation number
  • NAS-113863 - Samba Kerberos authentication fails in MIT realms since 12.0-U6.1
  • NAS-113814 - Graphs are empty
  • NAS-113813 - Update plugin artifact before executing pre-upgrade script
  • NAS-113811 - TrueNAS can offer to offer to use HDDs of one zpool in creating another!
  • NAS-113799 - 12.0U6 SMBD.CORE File Found
  • NAS-113751 - httpd.core after upgrade to 12.U7
  • NAS-113744 - regression in hook_setup_ha on CORE
  • NAS-113621 - smbd assertion - failure to chdir() to share connectpath when session has multiple tcons with different credentials
  • NAS-113545 - Issues with SSL & Certificates
  • NAS-113393 - crash during snapshot enumeration in zfs_fsrvp - regression in port to samba 4.13
  • NAS-113368 - Jail stopped working after upgrade to 12.0-U6.1 with utf-8 decoding error
  • NAS-113356 - intermittent smbd crash during session logoff
  • NAS-113240 - smbd crashes while freeing tree connection if user can't chdir() into connectpath
  • NAS-106633 - Cron tasks are run on wrong time zone after initial setup

rvassar

Guru

Forza

Explorer
Looking at the iX Jira, 12.0-U7.1 seems to be mostly feature complete, and will likely drop after the New Year.
These are the patches currently slated to be shipped:
  • NAS-113985 - Merge OpenZFS 2.0.7
  • NAS-113925 - Provide correct file generation number
  • NAS-113863 - Samba Kerberos authentication fails in MIT realms since 12.0-U6.1
  • NAS-113814 - Graphs are empty
  • NAS-113813 - Update plugin artifact before executing pre-upgrade script
  • NAS-113811 - TrueNAS can offer to offer to use HDDs of one zpool in creating another!
  • NAS-113799 - 12.0U6 SMBD.CORE File Found
  • NAS-113751 - httpd.core after upgrade to 12.U7
  • NAS-113744 - regression in hook_setup_ha on CORE
  • NAS-113621 - smbd assertion - failure to chdir() to share connectpath when session has multiple tcons with different credentials
  • NAS-113545 - Issues with SSL & Certificates
  • NAS-113393 - crash during snapshot enumeration in zfs_fsrvp - regression in port to samba 4.13
  • NAS-113368 - Jail stopped working after upgrade to 12.0-U6.1 with utf-8 decoding error
  • NAS-113356 - intermittent smbd crash during session logoff
  • NAS-113240 - smbd crashes while freeing tree connection if user can't chdir() into connectpath
  • NAS-106633 - Cron tasks are run on wrong time zone after initial setup
Thanks for the list. Shame the FTP timout issue isn't fixed. Saw it is planned for TrueNAS 13. Any idea when that might be out?

NASbox

Guru
I see U7.1 seems to have disappeared from Jira and a U8 has appeared with no release date. Are they going to release a U8, or are we waiting for v13?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

NASbox

Guru

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
As best as I can tell, it was the update. That in turn seems to have borked all three Intel 1.6TB DC S3610 that I use in a 3-way sVDEV mirror at once. Per the UI, they were gone. Restarting didn't help, reverting to 12u6.1, etc. did nothing. See my report here.

So I decided to pull the drives from the hard drive enclosure and re-insert them in other SATA backplane positions. As soon as I did that, the console lit up with its usual torrent of data associated with devices getting added. After that, importing the pool worked just fine. It's now online, no issues.

My ask to iXsystems as a result of this experience is giving users better feedback when a pool import fails. Such as "Hey, your pool import failed.
  • The following drives are present.
    • xxxxx
  • The following drives are missing:
    • xxxxx
  • The following drives are reporting they have failed (using SMART data)
    • xxxxx"
Should not be insurmountable and a better feedback than "your pool needs to be destroyed and rebuilt from backups"

As @jgreco noted, sometimes a hard power cycle is necessary where a restart does not suffice. My guess it has to do with the firmware in the SSDs since all other SSDs in my system restarted fine, ditto the HDDs.

Thanks Constantin,

Could you write this up as a "suggestion" in jira (Report-a-bug).
My guess is that the error message comes from the ZFS layer... and doesn't understand "missing devices".