TrueNAS 12.0 Features

kspare

Guru
What exactly is the purpose of doing a trim? If you are running P3700's for example, does this even need to be done?

jasonsansone

Explorer
What exactly is the purpose of doing a trim? If you are running P3700's for example, does this even need to be done?

To prevent slowdowns on solid state media. Not all nvme/ssd controllers are created equal. I believe the ZFS contributors can say it better than I can:

Motivation and Context
UNMAP/TRIM support is a frequently-requested feature to help prevent performance from degrading on SSDs and on various other SAN-like storage back-ends. By issuing UNMAP/TRIM commands for sectors which are no longer allocated the underlying device can often more efficiently manage itself.

tldr; Garbage collection on nvme/ssd controllers can still benefit from active TRIM commands. Cites: 1, 2, 3

kspare

Guru
I tried the trim feature, but it doesn't seem to trim everything?

logs
gptid/05ba256e-de47-11ea-9e0d-0cc47a12d23c ONLINE 0 0 0 (33% trimmed, started at Mon Aug 24 17:02:17 2020)
gptid/05bc84b4-de47-11ea-9e0d-0cc47a12d23c ONLINE 0 0 0 (34% trimmed, started at Mon Aug 24 17:02:17 2020)
cache
gptid/057f8e08-de47-11ea-9e0d-0cc47a12d23c ONLINE 0 0 0 (untrimmed)

jasonsansone

Explorer
I tried the trim feature, but it doesn't seem to trim everything?

logs
gptid/05ba256e-de47-11ea-9e0d-0cc47a12d23c ONLINE 0 0 0 (33% trimmed, started at Mon Aug 24 17:02:17 2020)
gptid/05bc84b4-de47-11ea-9e0d-0cc47a12d23c ONLINE 0 0 0 (34% trimmed, started at Mon Aug 24 17:02:17 2020)
cache
gptid/057f8e08-de47-11ea-9e0d-0cc47a12d23c ONLINE 0 0 0 (untrimmed)

If you run "zpool status -t" again it should show all trimmed except for the L2ARC drive. A PR was merged which added TRIM to L2ARC, but I am not sure if that made it into BETA2 or not. That is above my (non-existent) pay grade. I wasn't able to manually TRIM a cache drive.

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
If you run "zpool status -t" again it should should all trimmed except for the L2ARC drive. A PR was merged which added TRIM to L2ARC, but I am not sure if that made it into BETA2 or not. That is above my (non-existent) pay grade. I wasn't able to manually TRIM a cache drive.
AFAIK merged patched before 1 Jul. Should be in BETA2....

kspare

Guru
ok we're in the same boat then.

did you figure out how to enable auto trim?

P4#0383

Dabbler
I am wondering if it is possible to add Dual Controller HA, I noticed is under the list Enterprise list but, this option even for a home users with enough technical knowledge can be ease to setup and prevent data lost due to hard down on the controller such burn USB, SSD or SD hardware.
I was looking for this feature and happened to run into this thread.

ornias

Wizard
I am wondering if it is possible to add Dual Controller HA, I noticed is under the list Enterprise list but, this option even for a home users with enough technical knowledge can be ease to setup and prevent data lost due to hard down on the controller such burn USB, SSD or SD hardware.
I was looking for this feature and happened to run into this thread.
Dualcontroller HA, relies heavily on the hardware IX uses. It isn't about technical knowhow, it's designed to work only for the IX boxes with dual controllers...

P4#0383

Dabbler
Dualcontroller HA, relies heavily on the hardware IX uses. It isn't about technical knowhow, it's designed to work only for the IX boxes with dual controllers...

@ornias Correct, that is the reason why I was wondering if the DCHA will be mote to FN instead to be close coding for IX TNC. Some home users use enterprise level hardware, for instance a HPE ProLiant DL380 G9 collecting dust for the last couple of years. Opening to support other hardware and setting and active/passive mode sound pretty good to me. But I again, I can see this request is hard to put on the front lines due to the differences between free and enterprise products, not to mention possibly the codding complexity. Kind of a wishlist item if you would.

ornias

Wizard
@ornias Correct, that is the reason why I was wondering if the DCHA will be mote to FN instead to be close coding for IX TNC. Some home users use enterprise level hardware, for instance a HPE ProLiant DL380 G9 collecting dust for the last couple of years. Opening to support other hardware and setting and active/passive mode sound pretty good to me. But I again, I can see this request is hard to put on the front lines due to the differences between free and enterprise products, not to mention possibly the codding complexity. Kind of a wishlist item if you would.
I think for those users SCALE would be a solution that is closer to what they want...

P4#0383

Dabbler
I think for those users SCALE would be a solution that is closer to what they want...

I thought the idea was to make FN more competitive against enterprise level applications.
Right now it seems more of a blockage to progress FN to a more competitive level since iXsystems has their enterprise level to think about.
This is one of the disadvantage of OpenSoure software going under an commercial umbrellas.
Do you have a link to SCALE?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I thought the idea was to make FN more competitive against enterprise level applications.
Right now it seems more of a blockage to progress FN to a more competitive level since iXsystems has their enterprise level to think about.
This is one of the disadvantage of OpenSoure software going under an commercial umbrellas.
Do you have a link to SCALE?
SCALE is discussed here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/forums/truenas-scale-discussion/

Enterprise-grade is not that easy. The HPE DL380 G9 is a nice server, but it is not a storage system hardware with hot-swap redundant controllers with a reliable, high speed interconnect between them and shared access to all drives. With TrueNAS SCALE, a cluster of servers will be made reliable if configured and managed well.

P4#0383

Dabbler
SCALE is discussed here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/forums/truenas-scale-discussion/

Enterprise-grade is not that easy. The HPE DL380 G9 is a nice server, but it is not a storage system hardware with hot-swap redundant controllers with a reliable, high speed interconnect between them and shared access to all drives. With TrueNAS SCALE, a cluster of servers will be made reliable if configured and managed well.

That is exactly the whole idea. For what I have learn about FreeNAS, is that it is no only for enterprise but also for home and SOHO>
I shouldn't have to go and spend on FFA220 or a FAS2240 since those are full feature enterprise level storage with full OC or copper redundant ARRAY access and controllers. I looking at FN from a home storage solution in which part a dual USB controller can, perhaps, be set on a redundant state. The USB bus can, possibly, be used a redundancy to monitor both controllers, in this case, both USB drive.

If I want to go to the enterprise level, I can acquire a FAS3240 controller from eBay for $99 and call it the day.
Since the device already has DATA ONTAP, why would I need FN? Kind of defeat the purpose, don't you think?

gwaitsi

Patron
Please add auto-usb mounter and backup job scheduler to cater for offsite hardware backups
Small Home / Offices do not want to use cloud backup solutions and do not have an off-site location to replicate to.
Their only form of disaster recovery is to back-up to a physical disk and that can be stored offsite and rotated on a schedule like was done in the old tapes with tape.

p.s. wouldn't it make sense to have a Feature Requested thread?

Last edited:

woodb01

Cadet
That is exactly the whole idea. For what I have learn about FreeNAS, is that it is no only for enterprise but also for home and SOHO>
I shouldn't have to go and spend on FFA220 or a FAS2240 since those are full feature enterprise level storage with full OC or copper redundant ARRAY access and controllers. I looking at FN from a home storage solution in which part a dual USB controller can, perhaps, be set on a redundant state. The USB bus can, possibly, be used a redundancy to monitor both controllers, in this case, both USB drive.

If I want to go to the enterprise level, I can acquire a FAS3240 controller from eBay for $99 and call it the day.
Since the device already has DATA ONTAP, why would I need FN? Kind of defeat the purpose, don't you think?

Are you frustrated and complaining about a totally free product?

If it doesn't fit your needs there are other solutions in the marketplace you could buy. I would completely understand your frustration if you had paid for this, and the feature or solution was promised, and then it wasn't delivered. That's not what happened, right?

gwaitsi

Patron
Are you frustrated and complaining about a totally free product?

If it doesn't fit your needs there are other solutions in the marketplace you could buy. I would completely understand your frustration if you had paid for this, and the feature or solution was promised, and then it wasn't delivered. That's not what happened, right?
another justification for a requested features thread

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Small Home / Offices do not want to use cloud backup solutions and do not have an off-site location to replicate to.
Why would they not want to do this? In my experience it is actually the much preferred choice, mainly because it can easily be automated completely.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
another justification for a requested features thread
IIRC somewhere earlier in this thread there is a link to web page where the approach for feature requests ("suggestions" is the term used) is described.