Toshiba HDWQ140 not "good" for TrueNAS?

SunDancerGE

Dabbler
Hello there,

last year I added a Toshiba HDWQ140 to my TrueNAS setup and I noticed two things:
  1. The Toshiba HDWQ140 was "loud". You could hear every movement of the heads
  2. TrueNAS kept reporting bad sectors on that drive but the pool continued to function fine. (Pool was 4x 1TB and I replaced one 1TB with this 4TB drive so it's now 3x1TB and one 4TB)
I've now replaced the Toshiba HDWQ140 with a different 4TB drive and no more noise or errors. At the same time I'm running all kind of HDD tests on the Toshiba HDWQ140 in a Windows 10 machine and they all come up as "drive is fine".

is the Toshiba HDWQ140 really bad or just not compatible with TrueNAS? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Have a nice day.

Davvo

MVP
The drive doesn't look like it should have any issues with TrueNAS.
You should do a long smart test.

Davvo

MVP
That's not optimistic.
My Ironwolf 3 TB drives run a long smart test in around 50 minutes.

Arwen

MVP
One thing that can cause problems for ZFS, is excessive off-line time for a read request. Most desktop drives make very long attempts at error recovery. So long that ZFS can give up, consider the read faulty and use redundancy to satisfy the read request. This can also happen to Linux MD-RAID.

NAS drives have something called time limited error recovery, generally set to 7 seconds. Some server drivers and desktop drives can have their TLER changed from unlimited to 7 seconds. (Some drives use 1/10 of a second for that parameter, so 70 would be 7 seconds).

Anyway, their might be a parameter causing irregular behavior with that drive & ZFS.