The IPMI does not display the CPU temperature on the X11SSH-F anymore

collector

Dabbler
Hello, the IPMI of the X11SSH-F doesn't detect the CPU temperature anymore since I flashed the BIOS with Coreboot, consequently it doesn't adjust the fan speed anymore because it doesn't know the processor temperature, but the processor temperature is still visible from Debian:

ksnip_20221119-122634 (copie).png

ksnip_20221119-183954 (copie).png

ksnip_20221117-214936.png

I want to specify that I have already tested everything on Coreboot side to correct this problem, but the processor temperature is still not displayed !

The solution I think is necessary is to control the fan speed automatically from Debian, how to get the fans out of the IPMI control? And what tool to use for that?

Or is there a way to put the temperature back into IPMI while keeping Coreboot installed?
(I won't go back to the original bios)

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Does Coreboot have a forum? If so then maybe this question would be best asked there. I never heard of Coreboot until just now and had to go look it up. Very interesting to say the least. I'm also curious why you felt the need to change the BIOS out for a third party version.

collector

Dabbler
Does Coreboot have a forum? If so then maybe this question would be best asked there. I never heard of Coreboot until just now and had to go look it up. Very interesting to say the least. I'm also curious why you felt the need to change the BIOS out for a third party version.

"Installing Coreboot with proprietary blob cleanup provides much more security"

I have been in direct contact with the Coreboot developers for several years. In reality it is not coreboot that causes the problem, when I flash the motherboard with this Open-Source firmware, the IPMI continues to detect the CPU temperature, it is when I neutralize the Intel_ME with the ME_Cleaner tool that the IPMI no longer detects the CPU temperature, because the Intel ME goes into recovery mode, and since the IPMI retrieves the CPU temperature by querying the Intel_ME, it can no longer do so, and therefore it can no longer manage the fan speed in relation to the CPU temperature.

ksnip_20221103-124347.png

So three possibilities can be considered:

1) Implement a way for IPMI to find the temperature other than querying the Intel_ME.

2) Install an external fan controller so that it can automatically change the fan speed according to the CPU temperature

3) Automatic fan management from the Debian operating system

I don't know yet how to implement these three solutions, but I think the easiest is the 3rd one, except that the fans are not detected by the motherboard because they are managed automatically by the IPMI

If someone can help me, I thank him in advance!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've been reading the coreboot website documents, very interesting. I have virtually the same motherboard as you do so you got me to thinking about this pretty heavily. I will be reading for months to come, not sure if I would upgrade the BIOS since my LAN is not exposed to the internet, but it's intriguing.