Manager fan

Nico052020

Contributor
Hello,

I call on you again. I am in the middle of a big cleanup, upgrade, optimization,...

Currently there are 3 fans in my tower which are managed manually with a potentiometer (all 3 together).
The fans are on 3 wires.

I have 4 connectors on my motherboard X10SL7-Fin addition to the one for the CPU.
On the motherboard documentation, it is written that :
The X10SL7-F has five fan headers (Fan 1-Fan 4 & Fan A). These fans are 4-pin fan headers.
Although pins 1-3 of the onboard fan headers are backward compatible with the traditional 3-pin fans, we recommend that you use 4-pin fans to take advantage of the fan speed control via IPMI interface. This allows the fan speeds to be automatically adjusted based on the motherboard temperature. Refer to the table on the right for pin definitions.

I would like to be able to connect the fans to the motherboard connectors. I understand that I cannot adjust the fan speed automatically.

Is it possible to adjust the fan speed manually, like I used to do with my potentiometer?

On my IPMI interface, I did not find anything.

Regards

Nick2253

Wizard
When PWM fans started to come on the market, motherboards supported both control modes. But nowadays, pretty much all motherboard fan pin headers that are 4-pin only offer PWM control. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't run into one for probably 10+ years. What that means is, if you want to control the speed of a 3-pin fan, you have to use some other controller.

If you want the ability to control the fans via software, then I'd suggest a usb-connected fan controller. For example, the Corsair Commander Pro. Or you could use a PWD to 3-pin converter/adapter, like the Phantek PWM Fan Hub (which would allow you to control 3-pin fans using a PWM header on your mobo).

Jessep

Patron
There are fan control scripts that work through IPMI (supermicro) with PWM, they will require (sometimes significant) modifying them to your system/use case.

Nico052020

Contributor
Hello,
For your information, this motherboard is about 10 years old...
Ok so for you it is not possible to manage the fans from the motherboard in voltage level (and not in PWM)

For scripts, I know nothing about them.

Thank you.