Supermicro X8DTN+ Doesn't seem to like this new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

Patron
A few weeks ago I commissioned a new Supermicro X8DTN+ 2U, 12-bay server to replace my Supermicro X8DTU-F 1U, 4-bay server. The new server came with 72GB (18x4GB) Micron ECC RAM while my old server had 96GB (12x8GB) Samsung ECC RAM. Naturally, I would like that extra RAM in my new server and so last night I attempted to swap in the 96GB (12x8GB) Samsung RAM. The new server's Supermicro X8DTN+ MOBO has 18 DIMM slots available which I was able to fill with the twelve modules of Samsung 8GB ECC RAM. Reading the MoBO manual just to be sure was placing the RAM in the correct DIMM slots, I installed the 12 RAM modules in the dual-channel slots which are the black slots. This occupies all twelve black DIMM slots with the new RAM. Up to this point, I have done everything properly to my knowledge. This new RAM is supposed to work according to Supermicro's tested RAM page for my motherboard model, and I have installed them in the appropriate DIMM slots. I plug in the power and turn on the server. The fans go full speed, the screen stays blank, and I'm hearing beeping sounds —5 short beeps, 1 long beep which I find out means memory error - No memory detected in the memory slots. I turn off and unplug the system, take the RAM modules out with the exception of 1 module in each CPU bank. Turn the system back on and it's the same thing. I finally got tired of messing around with it and reinstalled the old RAM.

Has anybody else here experienced a similar issue to what I am dealing with? On another forum (ServeTheHome), somebody mentioned that temporarily removing their M1015 HBA card fixed their issue of no RAM being detected when installing new RAM. I also have the IBM ServeRAID M1015 9240-8i card in the new server and so with nothing to lose, I removed it and restarted the server. Still, the same thing.

Below is some research I did today to break down my current Micron RAM and the new Samsung RAM I would like to install.

MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4F1AB <-- MICRON RAM CURRENTLY IN MY NEW SERVER (72GB)
  • 4GB
  • DDR3
  • 10600(1333)
  • Registered ECC
  • SERVER RAM
  • MT36JSZF51272P(I)Z-1G4__ 4GB 512 Meg x 72 10.6 GB/s 1.5ns/1333 MT/s 9-9-9

Samsung RAM
M393B1K70CH0-CH9 <-- SUPERMICRO CALLS FOR THIS RAM FOR MY MOBO IN THEIR TESTED RAM LIST
M393B1K70CHD-CH9 <-- RAM FROM MY OLD SUPERMICRO X8DTU-F (96GB)

M : MEMORY
3 : DIMM (DIMM TYPE)
93 : x72 240pin Registered DIMM (DATA BITS)
B : DDR3 SDRAM
1K : 1G (for 2Gb) (DEPTH)
7 : 8Banks & SSTL-1.5V
0 : x 4 (BIT ORGANIZATION)
C : 4th Gen
H : FBGA(Lead-free & Halogen-free)
0 : None (PCB REVISION)
-
C : Commercial Temp.( 0C ~ 85C) & Normal Power(1.5V)
H9 : DDR3-1333 (667MHz @ CL=9, tRCD=9, tRP=9)

Dice

Wizard
Unfortunate situation.
Here are some ideas to at least do something.
Do you run dual or single CPU? it affects RAM population IIRC.
1. try adding the minimum number of RAM sticks until it boots.
2. cycle through all new memory modules in these slots to eliminate obvious dead one's.
3. try adding the 2nd lowest number of RAM sticks, which may help identify if any slots of the mobo has gone bad.

scrappy

Patron
Unfortunate situation.
Here are some ideas to at least do something.
Do you run dual or single CPU? it affects RAM population IIRC.
1. try adding the minimum number of RAM sticks until it boots.
2. cycle through all new memory modules in these slots to eliminate obvious dead one's.
3. try adding the 2nd lowest number of RAM sticks, which may help identify if any slots of the mobo has gone bad.

Thanks.

It is running dual CPUs. I have tried starting it with one RAM stick per CPU bank to no avail. I know all the RAM (new and old) works since the 96GB Samsung RAM which came out of my prior functioning server showed and used all 96GB RAM in the BIOS. Also, the current Micron RAM in my new server fills all 18 DIMM slots and shows the proper size count as well, so I can safely eliminate there being any hardware defects causing the no RAM detection error. I will probably swap in and out the Samsung RAM starting with one stick and moving up when I have time this weekend.

Dice

Wizard
Good. Probably should've caught that reading.

Beyond that, there might be incentive to clear out BIOS settings, and remove other extension cards, to provide the most minimalistic circumstances possible.
Perhaps uncalled for, but I would've tried. Just to empty out all potential quirks that may cause unrealistic problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.