ECC RAM Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Hi.
I want to buy RAM for my Supermicro X10SLM. I`ll either buy HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB or M391B1G73BH0-CH9 off the official compability list or a little cheaper one such as KVR16E11/8EF. Would it be better to go with the cheaper one? AFAIK is Kingston a good RAM producer. I`d like to save some money on this if possible. I`ll buy two, so 16GB in total.

Kind Regards

Z300M

Guru
Hi.
I want to buy RAM for my Supermicro X10SLM. I`ll either buy HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB or M391B1G73BH0-CH9 off the official compability list or a little cheaper one such as KVR16E11/8EF. Would it be better to go with the cheaper one? AFAIK is Kingston a good RAM producer. I`d like to save some money on this if possible. I`ll buy two, so 16GB in total.

Kind Regards
Kingston used to be a well-regarded manufacturer, but it has been alleged recently that they downgraded the components in SSD drives after they had received glowing reviews -- but without changing the model numbers. As for the RAM you mentioned, Kingston used to claim that it had been tested and verified compatible with the X10-series motherboards by an outside test facility. The day after I ordered mine, Kingston removed it from their "compatible" list and a short time later discontinued it altogether (so any you can still find is "orphaned" old stock). You can find extensive discussions of this all over the FreeNAS forums, especially in threads dealing with the X10SL7-F.

I have not encountered any problems with my two Kingston modules, but Kingston claimed that the problem occurred only when using four modules anyway. But what happens if/when I want to upgrade my RAM to 32GB?

Stick to RAM modules on Supermicro's own list.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I use the Kingstons. I bought my 4 sticks in 2 batches, one last year around October, one this year around March.

All works flawlessly in my X10SLM

Z300M

Guru
I use the Kingstons. I bought my 4 sticks in 2 batches, one last year around October, one this year around March.

All works flawlessly in my X10SLM
So why did Kingston take them off the list and then discontinue them altogether? Are the modules available for purchase now the same as those you bought? And why does Kingston now show no 8GB modules at all for the X10SLM or X10SL7? Did Elpida (the manufacturer of the RAM chips in the .../EF modules) do what Kingston is now accused of doing? -- change the specs. without changing the part#?

I stick by my recommendation to stick with what Supermicro recommends.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It's true that there have been some questions with respect to the 8GB modules. No doubt about it.

FlyingPersian

Patron
The issue with the RAM from the Website is that they are hard to get. I ordered one, but it got cancelled by the shop.
What about T4D4C05H32043
? Just in case i can`t get and from the Website?

Last edited:

Z300M

Guru
The issue with the RAM from the Website is that they are hard to get. I ordered one, but it got cancelled by the shop.
What about T4D4C05H32043? Just in case i can`t get and from the Website?
I didn't see that particular one on Supermicro's Tested Memory List, so I don't know. In the USA the Supermicro-recommended Hynix modules are cheaper in some places* than the Samsung modules; have you tried to find the Hynix in Europe? What about importing from the USA?

*E.g.: http://www.memoryamerica.com/hmt41gu7mfr8c-pb.html

Last edited:

FlyingPersian

Patron
Importing to Germany is most likely to expensive. Shipping costs will be a lot plus customs fees.
The Hynix costs 120€ per 8GB.
I'll try to get the Samsung for 94€. It'll hopefully work out.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

Z300M

Guru
Hi
So I couldn't get any of the RAM modules which are recommended by Supermircro. None are available in Germany -.- What should I do now? Just get some random module?
And none of the Supermicro-recommended ones elsewhere in the EU either?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
LOL Europe.

panz

Guru
LOL Europe.

Yes, LOL Europe, LOL EU and their strict rules about the standard length of bananas... Here in Italy no Hynix, no Samsung, only Kingston.

AlainD

Contributor
Are you saying the shop is selling entry level server MB's and not selling the ECC-ram that's supported?

Or even worse that no shop in Germany is selling Supermicro MB's without it's recommended memory.

Z300M

Guru
Are you saying the shop is selling entry level server MB's and not selling the ECC-ram that's supported?

Or even worse that no shop in Germany is selling Supermicro MB's without it's recommended memory.
They might still be selling the Kingston RAM that used to be recommended (but only by Kingston, not by Supermicro), even though that particular type is no longer being made. Maybe Kingston is the only RAM-module manufacturer whose products they've carried in the past. But even Kingston no longer lists any of its 8GB modules as being suitable for the X10SL7-F, although they do list some as being compatible with some of the other X10-series boards -- and not only those with only two memory slots anyway.

Last edited:

Knowltey

Patron

Z300M

Guru
The RAM I got for my SuperMico X10SLM was https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=D38GRE160S and I can verify that it does work with my SuperMicro MBD-X10SLM-F-O
I was referring to vendors in the EU. I just bought two of the Supermicro-recommended Hynix modules from Memory America, but people are saying that few (no?) European vendors carry the Supermicro-recommended Hynix or Samsung modules and that importing them from the US would be complicated and expensive because of shipping costs and import duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.