ECC RAM Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It does look odd. As Starpulkka suggested, check the CPU proper for burn marks or other visible damage.

FlyingPersian

Patron
The CPU looks fine to me
The pins in the middel look perfectly grey, so no black burn marks.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409603609551.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409603609551.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 239

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks good. Any other computer you could try it out in? If not, no worries, just RMA the motherboard, it looks wrong from what I can see in the pictures, but not wrong enough for me to outright declare "Your motherboard is certainly at fault."

FlyingPersian

Patron
Well the pin clearly looks missing cuz there's a black spot. Not sure about the other ones at the top, they might be okay and just look weird. But since the tech guy suggested that a pin might be broken I assume it is indeed broken.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just as words of warning, CPU socket problems are considered to be 100% the fault of the CPU installer. In fact, many companies won't let you RMA a board with a bad CPU socket (and most actually check... like Newegg and Amazon). You are welcome to RMA it, but:

1. You probably are responsible for the damage. The socket is very fragile which is why it comes with the hard plastic cover.
2. If you ever RMA a board without the cover the RMA will be instantly declined.
3. There's a very good chance you won't get your RMA once they get the board.

FlyingPersian

Patron
I was told in IRC already, that's really dumb. What would happen in worst case? They won't take it back and I've to either buy a new one or stick with the old one?

Mynorx

Explorer
Contact Jacob and tell them what's going on with the mobo, maybe they sold you an item that was returned by another customer. If they wont give you a new one and they say they have to RMA with the manufacturer, I would contact the manufacturer direct and cut out the middle man, it will make the process quicker. Sometimes manufacturers are lenient with situations such as this, as long that the item is still under warranty, they're are just gonna send out a refurbished item.

I wasn't aware of how difficult it seems for people in other countries to deal with sourcing components, I guess I've been lucky because I live in southern California 25 minutes from where I live there's a city called; city of industry. Everybody from MSI, Gigabyte, ASI Partner, EVGA, Newegg, is situated there. Its a computer geeks playground.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Okay I will definitely try that. I got the Mainboard not even a week ago and it'd be a shame if it won't work.
The good thing is that the European support of Supermicro is in the Netherlands, where I currently live. And the support guy yesterday was really cool. So I'll see what Jacob says and if they refuse to do so I'll contact Supermicro directly.
You lucky Bastard :D you could just drive by and pick everything up directly from the manufacturer :D

Mynorx

Explorer
LOL if you're really into computer hardware it really is an awesome place.

Z300M

Guru
Okay I will definitely try that. I got the Mainboard not even a week ago and it'd be a shame if it won't work.
The good thing is that the European support of Supermicro is in the Netherlands, where I currently live. And the support guy yesterday was really cool. So I'll see what Jacob says and if they refuse to do so I'll contact Supermicro directly.
You lucky Bastard :D you could just drive by and pick everything up directly from the manufacturer :D
I very much doubt whether your last statement is true: most manufacturers won't deal with end-users, if only because they aren't set up to deal with the retail-level Sales Tax levied by each State (or even by some counties and cities).

But I hope you can get your problem solved without too much difficulty and expense.

Starpulkka

Contributor
Worst cases in rma seller checks your board and says user fault, and gives you 70€ bill for repair check service. Other case is they check board and send it for supermicro european importer. And other case is if seller imports those boards themselfs, they certainly will not give you a new one. If you can transact directly with supermicro then you might have better chance of getting working board.

Mynorx

Explorer
I very much doubt whether your last statement is true: most manufacturers won't deal with end-users, if only because they aren't set up to deal with the retail-level Sales Tax levied by each State (or even by some counties and cities).

But I hope you can get your problem solved without too much difficulty and expense.

You're right most vendors wont deal with you directly. But they will deal with you directly when it comes to an RMA.

Mynorx

Explorer
I would send it to the reseller because you already told them about the problem and they are willing to take care of it. After they receive it and they say they can't deal with it, I would contact Supermicro and see if they have an RMA dept. in Europe.

FlyingPersian

Patron
So the newest development is that the reseller shipped the mainboard to Super Micro -.- I'll have to wait 15-20 working days. I could have done this myself.. Let's hope that they'll replace it. Unfortunately the website says:

Supermicro shall not be responsible for any damage as a result of abuse or improper handling by customer, nor by improper shipment packaging.

I assume that they will blame me for the broken pins. I'm not sure if I it is my fault, but I assume that I'm not cuz this hasn't happened before as I have built more than 10 PCs from scratch..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So the newest development is that the reseller shipped the mainboard to Super Micro -.- I'll have to wait 15-20 working days. I could have done this myself.. Let's hope that they'll replace it. Unfortunately the website says:

I assume that they will blame me for the broken pins. I'm not sure if I it is my fault, but I assume that I'm not cuz this hasn't happened before as I have built more than 10 PCs from scratch..

It's always a good idea to visually inspect the socket prior to installing the CPU. Unfortunately, it's hard to prove the damage was already there. Having a camera rolling while unpacking is an extreme I'd rather not go to

Status
Not open for further replies.