ECC RAM Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The 1.35V 8GB DIMMs that Crucial.com recommends are the same as the ones Supermicro tested under the Micron brand. They can be bought directly from Crucial with very reasonable shipping costs (or for free in some countries).

panz

Guru
The 1.35V 8GB DIMMs that Crucial.com recommends are the same as the ones Supermicro tested under the Micron brand. They can be bought directly from Crucial with very reasonable shipping costs (or for free in some countries).

Where did you get the information that they're the same as the Micron brand? I'm very interested.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Where did you get the information that they're the same as the Micron brand? I'm very interested.

I have them and they report the exact same model number Supermicro tested, via SPD. Not surprising, since Crucial is simply Micron's consumer brand.

panz

Guru
If I were to buy them, how would I search in their database? Is the same model number?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If I were to buy them, how would I search in their database? Is the same model number?

The most reliable way is to use their memory recommendation tool. They have two sets of model numbers for some reason (just for the Crucial-branded stuff), gimme a second and I'll grab them.

Here you go @panz

Crucial (2 x 8GB): CT2KIT102472BD160B or CT4486353 (both are the same product)
Crucial (1 x 8GB): CT102472BD160B or CT4486347

Micron (single DIMM, as reported by memtest86+ and listed at Supermicro's website): MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1

Edit: All Crucial model numbers start with CT

Last edited:

FlyingPersian

Patron
Are you saying the shop is selling entry level server MB's and not selling the ECC-ram that's supported?

Or even worse that no shop in Germany is selling Supermicro MB's without it's recommended memory.

Yup :D Well I find shops that offer some of them, but it's either only one 8GB module or with x days waiting time. My order was cancelled in two shops because the shops they buy the RAM from don't sell those anymore.

I was referring to vendors in the EU. I just bought two of the Supermicro-recommended Hynix modules from Memory America, but people are saying that few (no?) European vendors carry the Supermicro-recommended Hynix or Samsung modules and that importing them from the US would be complicated and expensive because of shipping costs and import duties.

Yup right, I had to pay a load of shipping fees, prolly 40USD to have it here in near future with tracking, and 19% taxes.

That's nice, I will look into that.

panz

Guru
Thank you @Ericloewe, I've just verified that Amazon Italia and RLO Italy have them in stock. A friend of mine will be very happy!

FlyingPersian

Patron

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
150€ is a very good price. Mine were 180€ directly from Crucial (plus a few bucks shipping).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's what I'm using and it's identical to the Micron stuff.

Could you do me a favor once you have the memory? Run memtest86+ and compare the DIMMs' reported model numbers to the Micron model number Supermicro tested, and tell us the results (I'd like to make sure I wasn't just lucky).

FlyingPersian

Patron
Hi
So I set everything up now, but I don't have a VGA cable. Upon boot I get 5 beeps which indicates no detected RAM. Since it's late I won't open it up again, but I'll have to check tomorrow and I'll hopefully have a VGA cable then to see the error on my display. Is this how it reacts on non-supported RAM? Or did I most likely put it in wrongly?

Kind Regards

Z300M

Guru
Hi
So I set everything up now, but I don't have a VGA cable. Upon boot I get 5 beeps which indicates no detected RAM. Since it's late I won't open it up again, but I'll have to check tomorrow and I'll hopefully have a VGA cable then to see the error on my display. Is this how it reacts on non-supported RAM? Or did I most likely put it in wrongly?

Kind Regards
The notches in the modules should prevent their insertion the wrong way round, but you might not have seated them fully.

Mynorx

Explorer
Make sure your ram is installed on the Blue slots. I tried installing on the black ones and I think there was and issue, I think I got the beeping and would not post.

I called crucial and the tech told me that they have special internal product numbers to identify their products, their resellers have different product numbers. My system posted and is boots freenas. I haven't gone any further than that.

Please read my findings here
http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/suggestions-before-i-commit.23132/#post-139940

Yatti420

Wizard
Make sure your ram is installed on the Blue slots. I tried installing on the black ones and I think there was and issue, I think I got the beeping and would not post.

I called crucial and the tech told me that they have special internal product numbers to identify their products, their resellers have different product numbers. My system posted and is boots freenas. I haven't gone any further than that.

Please read my findings here
http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/suggestions-before-i-commit.23132/#post-139940

There is a thread here on the Kingston sticks on he x10s.. If the blues are primary should be fine.. I'd they are the secondary or "b" channel and have to be in them maybe something fishy with the mem controller..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Pharfar

Dabbler
Just a quick note for others looking for RAM modules. You can find Samsung modules for the X10SLM-F on ebay.de. I've found new and unused parts, that can be shipped to the world (and most importantly: Denmark).

FlyingPersian

Patron
Hi guys,

I placed them on the blue slots and I think I get the same beep errors as before, but it wasn't 5, but 4 beeps. Four beeps means the following:

The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

Source: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

What should I do?

Mynorx

Explorer
Have you tried resetting your bios? put the sticks in the black slots and try again. if that doesn't work maybe there might be some other compatibility issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.