Memory (ecc) for Supermicro X10 boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvnk

Cadet
I’m looking for help regarding memory for Supermicro X10 boards. I’m posting because I’ve read through the other threads which were started before the Kingston support issue, before 2014 and before 9.2 (in case that has any affect).

I currently have FreeNAS-9.2.1-RELEASE-x64 (bd35c86) on an ASROCK H87M Pro4, G3220 and 16gb non ecc to backup home pcs and an 8TB Synology Diskstation. I was going to continue using this cannibalized hardware (that I had lying around i.e. non ecc) but after reading the forums, decided, what good is a backup if it does get corrupted?

I get it. ECC or bust. I have the following components which I want to use for a Freenas 9.2 build:

E3-1220 v3 or G3220 (only supports 1333) (currently own)
9x Samsung 2TB HD204UI (currently own)
Supermicro card or LSI flashed IT (and 1 mobo sata) (currently own)
Ecc supporting mobo:Supermicro mobo MBD-X10SLM-F-O (planning to buy)

With the latest Kingston issues, I’ve been looking around, especially eBay. Best I can tell, Kingston was more affordable, more accessible and had straight forward model numbers.
I see the memory listed on Supermicro website. The EXACT MATCH of these 8gb Supermicro dimms are priced at $160. They are Samsung, Hynix and Micron. I did find some memory on eBay that was unbuffered $80-90 8gb dimms. There’s even an eBay seller with Supermicro memory that looks pretty generic.

Is the Supermicro part number simply a regular Micron, Samsung, Hynix dimm or is it ‘special?’ What are the things I’m looking for in the memory? unbuffered, unregistered? They all seem to be 1.35v or 1.5v. I get the feeling I should just avoid 1.35, as supermicro says it will run at 1.5. If I am savvy could I save a few hundred dollars on this or is it not recommended to assure compatibility?
Is it going to be too difficult to identify the correct ram to save $$$? Or is the only difference between one dimm and another, Supermicro in the name? Or is the Supermicro Ram a ‘different breed?’ I haven’t seen vendors who state compatibility with the X10. The following is recommended:

MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16
Hynix
HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB
Hynix
H5TQ4G83MFR
RoHS
Low Profile

MEM-DR380L-SL01-EU16
Samsung
M391B1G73BH0-CK0
Samsung
K4B4G0846B-HCK0
RoHS
Low Profile

I’m trying to ‘do the right thing’ with ECC. How picky is the board going to be? I'm asking as I hope this could be a resource to others who are in the same situation. From the Haswell builds I have done, I've been really impressed. Since the price is SO CLOSE to an Ivy Bridge build, I figured I'd check it out.
According to Newegg review: MBD-X10SLL-F-O

“get ECC UNBUFFERED memory, not ECC registered

Make sure you don't buy Registered memory if your system requires Unbuffered.”

Z300M

Guru
I’m looking for help regarding memory for Supermicro X10 boards. I’m posting because I’ve read through the other threads which were started before the Kingston support issue, before 2014 and before 9.2 (in case that has any affect).

I currently have FreeNAS-9.2.1-RELEASE-x64 (bd35c86) on an ASROCK H87M Pro4, G3220 and 16gb non ecc to backup home pcs and an 8TB Synology Diskstation. I was going to continue using this cannibalized hardware (that I had lying around i.e. non ecc) but after reading the forums, decided, what good is a backup if it does get corrupted?

I get it. ECC or bust. I have the following components which I want to use for a Freenas 9.2 build:

E3-1220 v3 or G3220 (only supports 1333) (currently own)
9x Samsung 2TB HD204UI (currently own)
Supermicro card or LSI flashed IT (and 1 mobo sata) (currently own)
Ecc supporting mobo:Supermicro mobo MBD-X10SLM-F-O (planning to buy)

With the latest Kingston issues, I’ve been looking around, especially eBay. Best I can tell, Kingston was more affordable, more accessible and had straight forward model numbers.
I see the memory listed on Supermicro website. The EXACT MATCH of these 8gb Supermicro dimms are priced at $160. They are Samsung, Hynix and Micron. I did find some memory on eBay that was unbuffered $80-90 8gb dimms. There’s even an eBay seller with Supermicro memory that looks pretty generic.

Is the Supermicro part number simply a regular Micron, Samsung, Hynix dimm or is it ‘special?’ What are the things I’m looking for in the memory? unbuffered, unregistered? They all seem to be 1.35v or 1.5v. I get the feeling I should just avoid 1.35, as supermicro says it will run at 1.5. If I am savvy could I save a few hundred dollars on this or is it not recommended to assure compatibility?
Is it going to be too difficult to identify the correct ram to save $$$? Or is the only difference between one dimm and another, Supermicro in the name? Or is the Supermicro Ram a ‘different breed?’ I haven’t seen vendors who state compatibility with the X10. The following is recommended:

MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16
Hynix
HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB
Hynix
H5TQ4G83MFR
RoHS
Low Profile

MEM-DR380L-SL01-EU16
Samsung
M391B1G73BH0-CK0
Samsung
K4B4G0846B-HCK0
RoHS
Low Profile

I’m trying to ‘do the right thing’ with ECC. How picky is the board going to be? I'm asking as I hope this could be a resource to others who are in the same situation. From the Haswell builds I have done, I've been really impressed. Since the price is SO CLOSE to an Ivy Bridge build, I figured I'd check it out.
According to Newegg review: MBD-X10SLL-F-O

“get ECC UNBUFFERED memory, not ECC registered

Make sure you don't buy Registered memory if your system requires Unbuffered.”
I have two Kingston KVR16E11/8EF modules in an X10SL7-F (ordered the day before they disappeared from Kingston's compatibility list -- and since "discontinued"). Ten passes with Memtest86+ ver 5.01 without a single error -- but Kingston told me that the problems occurred only with four modules in these boards anyway. Another user has reported that he has two of these same motherboards, each with four of those Kingston modules, and has encountered no problems.

Kingston's replacement 8GB "Server Premier" module (KVR16E11/8KF) still is not shown as compatible with the X10 motherboards.

Another user reported within the last couple of days that a "Crucial" 16GB kit is working well for him.

drvnk

Cadet
There is a lot of new info on this thread - Kingston 4 x 8GB RAM problem
In the last few days, a lot of new posts have mentioned the type of guidelines I was looking for.
Jgreco posted:
Buying the SuperMicro stuff is the route that's most likely to work, but as I've said elsewhere SuperMicro provides you with the manufacturer part numbers for their modules so you can also buy the modules without the SuperMicro branding.

In theory you should be able to select random generic ECC DDR3 and stick it in and it should work.
Anybody have an opinion on this: Super Talent DDR3-1600 8GB ECC Hynix

drvnk

Cadet
There's a bunch of activity on the other threads about this topic so I'll bow out after this post.

I decided that even though I found other seemingly compatible memory I would start to question whether something like:

Size & Bit: 1G x 72 on the HCL part below vs. Size & Bit: N/A on the SuperTalent could cause an issue.

I ordered Manufacturer Part#: M391B1G73BH0-CK0

For anyone else, I followed a post in another thread to find the part at Superbiiz.
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=D38GE1600S

BUT, I don't have an account with them so ended up ordering it from the Superbiiz eBay buy-it-now auction (also for the eBayBucks)

SAMSUNG DDR3-1600 MHz PC3 12800 8GB (1 x 8G) ECC SERVER MEMORY M391B1G73BH0-CK0

Status
Not open for further replies.