ECC RAM Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynorx

Explorer
take battery out. remove power cable and push power button on case. that will clear the cmos. theres also a jumper next to the battery that will accomplish the same thing.

This guy made a very good instructional video. He also shows you how to do IPMI if you don't know how to do it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZJRzIq6GuQ

FlyingPersian

Patron
Nope, didn't help :/ Removed t he cable, took out battery, pressed the power button, but the beeps still come. I guess I'll have to wait until I buy the VGA cable later, maybe I can see something on the screen then.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Damn IPMI is awesome! It works <3

So my NAS is stuck at the Supermicro symbol and it says "System initializing" at the bottom left, "55" at the bottom right. It's stuck there with the 4 beeps :/

o22fnm8i16h5.jpg

Last edited:

Mynorx

Explorer
you have to read the menu and log in to the bios, I think you have to hit the DEL key. go into bios and look for boot on the menu select boot from usb it should list your usb drive you attached. save and restart. it should boot right up. I also put my hard drives on the blue sata ports.

look at both videos that this guy made. they are quite good. there are other videos on youtube that have guided me as well.

Be patient that screen lasts a few moments.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Okay I just saw that the initialization starts at 0, goes up to 55% and then the beeps come. I tried each RAM tho, so I'm wondering thy this is happening.. If it's checking the RAM 55% could mean that it the 2nd RAM is bad, but then it doesn't make sense why I got the beeps even with one RAM.

Mynorx

Explorer
1 remove all hard drives and usb drives from your system only leave 1 stick of ram installed on the black.
2 reset your bios by removing the battery and hitting the power button. reinstall your battery and boot the system again don't reconnect anything else yet. if it does let you go into the bios great.
3 turn system off again and see what happens with second stick of ram installed.
4. if success try putting the flash drive on the internal usb port and try to boot.
5. if that's works add your hard drives.
if at any point you get errors then the last change you made will probably be the problematic component.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Two sticks of bad RAM is very unlikely. The memory should by all accounts be compatible as well.

Ok, standard memory troubleshooting:

Try using only one DIMM and try placing in every slot. If some slots don't work, we've isolated it to a motherboard or CPU issue.

Check the IPMI log in the web interface for any errors, maybe it'll help.

If you still haven't traced down the problem, remove the processor and check for conspicuously bent pins. If that's the case, RMA the motherboard.

Do you have another Haswell processor lying around? If so, place it in your new motherboard and see what happens.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
By the way: Get a shot of the DIMMs' stickers. The model number on them should match this one:

Micron MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1

FlyingPersian

Patron
I got it. The manual or the mainboard is a little off. I have to use slots A1 and A2, not as the manual suggests B2 downwards. Also A1 B1 as the tech guy from supermicro suggested first didn't work, it had to be A1 A2, which are next to each other. I'll report back if it doesn't work furhter

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I got it. The manual or the mainboard is a little off. I have to use slots A1 and A2, not as the manual suggests B2 downwards. Also A1 B1 as the tech guy from supermicro suggested first didn't work, it had to be A1 A2, which are next to each other. I'll report back if it doesn't work furhter

The tech guy was right in general. Your B memory channel is apparently not working. So, either the Motherboard or the CPU need to be RMA'd. I'd start by looking for bent pins. If everything seems in order there, RMA the CPU first.

Z300M

Guru
I don't remember how the slots are labeled, but pairs of modules should go in same-colored slots; i.e., two blue or two black, not one in a blue slot and one in a black.

Mynorx

Explorer
Yeah they have to go in the same color slots. The motherboard manual states that you have to use the 2 blue slots if you're using only 2 sticks.

Starpulkka

Contributor
4 beeps might mean processor 5 beeps is memory. Next time before you open motherboard or a post package take hd camera and film as you open your motherboard box and check immediadly is cpu pins are ok, if its not you have some proof of consept that it came already bent or even better if it was not bent and when you rma board. Some cases dealers just bend those pins really good and try to say that you bend those pins. But if you have good picture of proof that board left from you by not bended pins, then dealer has a harder time of scam you.
Edit: Oh i just bought same board as you, last weekend and its already in use my first freenas box. Had some trouble with ipmi, i had boot dos and set few stuff that ipmi chip. Also had upgrade freenas 8 to 9 as freenas 8 is not work x10.
I use kingston 8+8 skhynix ecc memorys on those blue slots speed if i remember was 666 (1333).

Last edited:

FlyingPersian

Patron
4 beeps might mean processor 5 beeps is memory. Next time before you open motherboard or a post package take hd camera and film as you open your motherboard box and check immediadly is cpu pins are ok, if its not you have some proof of consept that it came already bent or even better if it was not bent and when you rma board. Some cases dealers just bend those pins really good and try to say that you bend those pins. But if you have good picture of proof that board left from you by not bended pins, then dealer has a harder time of scam you.
Edit: Oh i just bought same board as you, last weekend and its already in use my first freenas box. Had some trouble with ipmi, i had boot dos and set few stuff that ipmi chip. Also had upgrade freenas 8 to 9 as freenas 8 is not work x10.

Hi
I've solved the beeps so far. My CPU is a little older, about 8 months old. I put it into my old mainboard once and yesterday was the 2nd time I ever touched it. It worked fine before and I didn't have any issue whatsoever. I'll check the CPU in a couple of minutes and report back.
IPMI works fine and I'm running FreeNAS 9.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Last edited:

Starpulkka

Contributor
Had to look my own cpu pin picture and yes i have fine regular line where you have somethin error. you should see if pin lines same as others, as you will see pins what dont follow. As your picture almost looks like pins are melted, (bad angle of picture or something??) o_O its have been many many years that i have actually bought intel processor, and i dont like at all where things are going.. Check cpu is it clean or does it have burn marks on those cpu pin side. As for better advices im a half sleep now so im not thinkin a clear head right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.