SUPERMICRO X10SLM-F and additional IBM 1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

datamining

Dabbler
Hey everyone!

before we start....
i decided to throw my old stuff away and refresh my "NAS-System" .. so for now i will just keep my case (supermicro 933) and my drives (6x 2TB WD). FreeNAS installation on a USB-Pen (Kingston).

I´ll checked the forum etc. and I got the following set-up:

Mainboard: 1x SUPERMICRO X10SLM-F
CPU: 1x Intel Core i5-4570 with 4x 3.20GHz
CPU: 1x Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 "Haswell"
RAM: 4x 8192MB Kingston DDR3 ECC KVR1333D3E9S/8G
looks like they have some problems with the 8GB modules​
RAM: 2x 8GB Samsung ECC M391B1G73BH0-CK0

Okay so what i want to do is to run ZFS with RAIDZ2and iSCSI for my VMware ESX cluster. The mainboard has six SATA-Ports (4x SATA3 and 2x SATA2), are these ports enough to run FreeNAS on ir should i go for an IBM ServeRAID 1015? I´m not sure how the system will perform .. but what I need is enough performance for about 40 virtual server..
Would the performance be better if I use an additional 1015 or should I buy two of them to leave the onbaord stuff alone?

thanks a lot!

regards

miner

Hudu

Dabbler
The CPU is not capable to use ECC. So get a Xeon (or a i3/Pentium).

datamining

Dabbler
Hey Hudu,

thanks for reply! i Changes to Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 "Haswell". Should be fine?

any idear about the IBM Raid?

Z300M

Guru
Hey everyone!

before we start....
i decided to throw my old stuff away and refresh my "NAS-System" .. so for now i will just keep my case (supermicro 933) and my drives (6x 2TB WD). FreeNAS installation on a USB-Pen (Kingston).

I´ll checked the forum etc. and I got the following set-up:

Mainboard: 1x SUPERMICRO X10SLM-F
CPU: 1x Intel Core i5-4570 with 4x 3.20GHz
CPU: 1x Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 "Haswell"
RAM: 4x 8192MB Kingston DDR3 ECC KVR1333D3E9S/8G

Okay so what i want to do is to run ZFS with RAIDZ2and iSCSI for my VMware ESX cluster. The mainboard has six SATA-Ports (4x SATA3 and 2x SATA2), are these ports enough to run FreeNAS on ir should i go for an IBM ServeRAID 1015? I´m not sure how the system will perform .. but what I need is enough performance for about 40 virtual server..
Would the performance be better if I use an additional 1015 or should I buy two of them to leave the onbaord stuff alone?

thanks a lot!

regards

miner
Do you have the motherboard already? I think you'll find that getting the X10SL7-F would have cost you less than the combination of X10SLM-F plus ServeRAID 1015 -- and you could still add a ServeRAID 1015 if you need even more ports.

And if you do have the motherboard and RAM already, have you checked that they are cooperating nicely? You will find other threads here reporting that Kingston no longer has 8GB modules that they recommend for most of the SuperMicro X10-series boards. And I don't think the modules you have ever were recommended for those motherboards.

datamining

Dabbler
Hey Z300!

nope i don't have the stuff yet, plan to buy it this week.. the ram was a recommended side order at the online shop where I found the mainboard ... so the X10SLM-F is not that expensive... as i can see the difference between the X10SL7-F and the X10SLM-F is the PCI-Port?

Okay, i checked the kingston-page and they say the 4GB where supported but not the 8GB. Could you recommend another one? Strange cause the online shop offers them as recommended .. anyway .. do you have trouble with your kingstons? Do you use iSCSI with you FreeNAS? How is your Performance? Cause your setup sounds quite similar :)

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/s...r_Memory_for_Supermicro_X10SLM+-F_Motherboard

miner

Sir.Robin

Guru
The X10SL7 has one PCIe slot less but has an integrated onboard 8port LSI 2308 SATA/SAS controller in addition to the 6port SATA Intel PCH.
So you would not need the additional 1015 card. :)

datamining

Dabbler
Hey Robin!

thanks for the Info! Will the on-board controller affect the performance or is there no difference? So I would also fix the RAM problem? The Kingston website shows for the X10SL7 only 4GB modules but the 8-Port SAS Controller seems nice! But still no golden goal with the "RAM-Question" :(

Sir.Robin

Guru
There will be no performance difference between the two controllers. You will/should flash to IT-mode either way.

I am running 2x 8GB Kingston "Hynix" + 2x 4GB Kingston "something" myself and have no issues.
However, if i were to buy again i would more than likely buy something from the Supermicro supported list. Samsung MEM-DR380L-SL02-EU16 or MEM-DR380L-SL01-EU16 i guess because i can find whose here in norway.

Z300M

Guru
Hey Z300!

nope i don't have the stuff yet, plan to buy it this week.. the ram was a recommended side order at the online shop where I found the mainboard ... so the X10SLM-F is not that expensive... as i can see the difference between the X10SL7-F and the X10SLM-F is the PCI-Port?

Okay, i checked the kingston-page and they say the 4GB where supported but not the 8GB. Could you recommend another one? Strange cause the online shop offers them as recommended .. anyway .. do you have trouble with your kingstons? Do you use iSCSI with you FreeNAS? How is your Performance? Cause your setup sounds quite similar :)

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=7&Mfr=SMI&Line=X10SLM -F&Model=84964&Description=Kingston_ValueRam_Memory_Server_Premier_Memory_for_Supermicro_X10SLM -F_Motherboard

miner
I don't have any problems, but I have only two of the Kingston modules that used to be recommended (taken off the list the day after I ordered). Kingston themselves have said that the problem occurs only with four of those modules -- the KVR16E11EF, which have since been discontinued. They also said, in response to my less-than-glowing report on NewEgg.com, that, as long as one uses the SuperMicro-recommended Hynix modules in the first two memory slots, one can use "any" other modules in the second pair of slots.

I suggest you check the availability and price of the SuperMicro-recommended Hynix and Samsung modules, both with and without the SupermMicro label and part number. It's possible that you will find the Samsung modules for less than the Kingston ones.

I don't use iSCSI. I haven't measured the performance, but I don't see any performance problems. I do see write errors on one or more drives that show no S.M.A.R.T. errors, but it's been suggested that it's a cable problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
They also said, in response to my less-than-glowing report on NewEgg.com, that, as long as one uses the SuperMicro-recommended Hynix modules in the first two memory slots, one can use "any" other modules in the second pair of slots.

Interesting indeed! I hadn't really thought about it quite like that. Normally it's taboo to mix and match memory. Usually it's fine to fix, but not always. Interesting nonetheless.

datamining

Dabbler
Hey!

ok i think i will get two 8GB Samsungs (M391B1G73BH0-CK0) for about 110,- Euro each, I also edited the set-up at the first post. I really hope that the performance will be fine! Any other suggestion for this set-up?

miner

Benny Mac

Dabbler
Hello. Does anyone have more information about the compatibility of the Kingston 8Gb ECC ram in the Supermicro X107SL-F ?

Where I live (Switzerland) the Samsung memory approved by Supermicro is 44% more expensive than the unapproved Kingston ram. I'm about to order 32Gb, and would like to avoid paying that much extra for something that may not be necessary.

On the other hand, if someone with this or a similar motherboard comes back and says they've personally had problems that are suspected due to the Kingston memory, then I'll go with the Samsung.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I got kingston myself and have no issues. Would not buy it again though. Get the samsungs.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.