My hardware configuration, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfasauer

Dabbler
Hello,

I am on my way to build up my first FreeNAS-Server. It shall be used for storing all kind of data, tv-recordings, pictures etc. I want to run it as ZFS (RAIDZ2). I did some reading and want to buy the following parts:

1x SUPERMICRO X10SLM-F (Mikro-ATX/LGA1150 Socket/C224/USB3.0/2 x Gigabit LAN/Onboard-Grafik/MBD-X10SLM-F-O)
1x Intel Pentium G3220 (3 GHz/2 Kerne/2 Threads/3MB Cache-Speicher/LGA1150 Socket/Boxed/BX80646G3220)
2x Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (DIMM 240-PIN/DDR3/1600 MHz/PC3-12800/CL11/ECC/Intel Memory Validation Program/KVR16E11/8I)
1x Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Midi Tower/ATX/ohne Netzteil/Schwarz/USB/Audio/FD-CA-ARC-R2-BL)
1x be quiet! System Power7 (300W/ATX12V 2,31/80 PLUS Bronze/aktive PFC/BN140)
1x Transcend JetFlash 700 (USB-Flash-Laufwerk/8GB/USB 3.0/TS8GJF700)
6x WD Red 3TB (3,5"/SATA3/64MB Cache/WD30EFRX)

Will this be a good working configuration? Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!

warri

Guru
You can usually run 1600 Mhz modules with 1333 Mhz (setup in BIOS). New BIOS versions may do that automatically.

bfasauer

Dabbler
Thank you for the answers. I also think, G3220 should work with 1333 MHz RAM, but as it is not written in Intel ARC I chose G3420 instead. The price is nearly the same. Parts will arrive next week. I will report how things go on.

JohnK

Patron
You have to disable the usb3 in the bios. It might also be better to stick with usb2 flash disk. Other than that I have all the same hardware and it works 100%.

I am also considering this Motherboard for a Freenas setup, and have read through the user manual, but cannot find how to disable USB3 in the bios.am I being an idiot and missing something that is very straightforward?

Cheers
Rob

indy

Patron
I am also considering this Motherboard for a Freenas setup, and have read through the user manual, but cannot find how to disable USB3 in the bios.
There should be an option to disable XHCI.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

indy

Patron

JohnK

Patron
I am also considering this Motherboard for a Freenas setup, and have read through the user manual, but cannot find how to disable USB3 in the bios.am I being an idiot and missing something that is very straightforward?

Cheers
Rob
Page 4-14
PCH-IO Configuration
XHCI Mode
This feature handles the operation mode for the XHCI (Extensible Host Controller Interface) controller. The settings are Smart Auto , Auto, Enabled, Disabledand Manual

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not 100% sure about the BIOS(I don't have a server board with USB3 support built-in). But the problem was that the xhci driver FreeNAS offered wasn't compatible. Get rid of the xhci driver and the ehci driver should be used(USB2 driver). Since xhci is supposed to be backwards compatible you *shouldn't* have to turn off USB3 support to get FreeNAS to work. The whole reason for disabling the xhci driver was to prevent the problems. You'd be amazed at how many people have no clue how to get into their BIOS, or even understand what a BIOS is, but expect FreeNAS to "just work".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Absolutely! I'd expect it to at least boot correctly the first time so I can customize the setup to be more in-line with what I want.

I'm not 100% sure about the BIOS(I don't have a server board with USB3 support built-in). But the problem was that the xhci driver FreeNAS offered wasn't compatible. Get rid of the xhci driver and the ehci driver should be used(USB2 driver). Since xhci is supposed to be backwards compatible you *shouldn't* have to turn off USB3 support to get FreeNAS to work. The whole reason for disabling the xhci driver was to prevent the problems. You'd be amazed at how many people have no clue how to get into their BIOS, or even understand what a BIOS is, but expect FreeNAS to "just work".

Unfortunately, whilst I am aware of how to go into the BIOS and turn off XHCI (thanks JohnK), my knowledge on installing/uninstalling drivers in Freenas/FreeBSD is rather limited, as my experience has mainly been in Windows. I have dabbled in Ubuntu server, but it has mainly been following command line instructions from articles published in forums etc. I shall have to do some additional research. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.