BUILD SUPERMICRO X10SLM+-F and an i3-4330

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gimmezell

Dabbler
I'm mainly a lurker here on these forum and after, many months of reading threads and posts, I've chosen the below parts for my Freenas build. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm a little uncertain that my chosen processor will work with the SuperMicro X10SLM+-F motherboard without having to update the BIOS. I won't have a way to update the BIOS if this an update is required as I don't have a spare CPU to do so.

I'm hoping that the community can shed some light on this? Is it pretty much luck-of-the-draw whether the i3-4330 will work with the board without requiring a BIOS update. All parts will be purchased from Newegg.

SUPERMICRO X10SLM+-F

Fractal Design Node 804

Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Intel i3-4330

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

Last edited:

9C1 Newbee

Patron
WOW. Intel says the i3 supports ECC. I didn't think it did. I don't see anything wrong right off.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
WOW. Intel says the i3 supports ECC. I didn't think it did. I don't see anything wrong right off.

Of course it does, why else would it have been recommended all this time?

I'm mainly a lurker here on these forum and after, many months of reading threads and posts, I've chosen the below parts for my Freenas build. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm a little uncertain that my chosen processor will work with the SuperMicro X10SLM+-F motherboard without having to update the BIOS. I won't have a way to update the BIOS if this an update is required as I don't have a spare CPU to do so.

I'm hoping that the community can shed some light on this? Is it pretty much luck-of-the-draw whether the i3-4330 will work with the board without requiring a BIOS update. All parts will be purchased from Newegg.

SUPERMICRO X10SLM+-F

Fractal Design Node 804

Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Intel i3-4330

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

The i3 4330 is not a Haswell Refresh part. It'll work with the 1.x BIOS. I should know, it worked for me.

Gimmezell

Dabbler

The i3 4330 is not a Haswell Refresh part. It'll work with the 1.x BIOS. I should know, it worked for me.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation Ericloewe.

9C1 Newbee

Patron

I don't know where I have been. I have NEVER seen an i3 recommended. In fact, I was gonna opt for an i3 build but got steered toward an Xeon flavor. I am thankful for that too. But the tide must have changed and I never noticed.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I don't know where I have been. I have NEVER seen an i3 recommended. In fact, I was gonna opt for an i3 build but got steered toward an Xeon flavor. I am thankful for that too. But the tide must have changed and I never noticed.
Sir, the i3-4330 has been openly recommended by us in the SuperMicro X10 boards for over a year.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Never got the memo. I guess I need to step up my troll game.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
By the way, good job Gimmezell. You have obviously done your homework. :D

Mguilicutty

Explorer
I think the V1 i3s did not support ecc, or maybe some did and some didn't. At least that is what I remember...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Never got the memo. I guess I need to step up my troll game.

Hey "Newbee" (see what I did there?). Wecome to the forums! You might want to see our fine stickies in the forum! If you'd like to see what kind of hardware we recommend, check out this link... https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

On a more serious note, we've been recommending Pentiums for a while too. If you don't plan to do much more than file server stuff for your home a Pentium has been more than adequate for lots of people. If you want to do things like use encryption, use jails that would be CPU intensive, etc then you might want to look at an i3 or xeon.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hey "Newbee" (see what I did there?). Wecome to the forums! You might want to see our fine stickies in the forum! If you'd like to see what kind of hardware we recommend, check out this link... https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

On a more serious note, we've been recommending Pentiums for a while too. If you don't plan to do much more than file server stuff for your home a Pentium has been more than adequate for lots of people. If you want to do things like use encryption, use jails that would be CPU intensive, etc then you might want to look at an i3 or xeon.
Yeah I want to vociferously second that. The pentium G3220, which supports ECC, and works awesome in the SuperMicro X10 boards, is ***MORE THAN ENOUGH*** for simple fileserving, and even some jail action. In fact, anything short of heavy duty Plex transcoding, the G3220 is plenty boss.

9C1 Newbee

Patron

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Starting with Ivy Bridge, all socketed i3 processors support ECC. Same goes for lower-end processors, with a few exceptions (notably, the Devil's Canyon Haswell Pentiums don't support ECC).

Before Ivy Bridge, none supported ECC.

nick779

Contributor

Got a G3240 in mine and it works quite well even with 2 1080p streams

If you get your board from Newegg, it comes with the 2.0 BIOS. I bought mine last month and it came with the new one.

stefanb

Patron

Streaming (1:1) shouldn't be an issue. Re-encoding on the fly, eg. you want to watch a 1080p stream on your smartphone with slow internet connection, then plex has to re-encodes the video on the fly - which is very hungry for processor resources.

S.

nick779

Contributor
Streaming (1:1) shouldn't be an issue. Re-encoding on the fly, eg. you want to watch a 1080p stream on your smartphone with slow internet connection, then plex has to re-encodes the video on the fly - which is very hungry for processor resources.

S.
Agreed, but in this case its transcoding a MKV. Each session uses about 75% of a core. when streaming mp4 I hardly see any usage through TOP

DJABE

Contributor
+1 thumbs up for that really good cpu, best buy for the buck!

Thou I'm not into transcoding and other multimedia stuff, just runnin' iSCSI targets and some CIFS shares. Note: I do use LZ4 compression per volume.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Agreed, but in this case its transcoding a MKV. Each session uses about 75% of a core. when streaming mp4 I hardly see any usage through TOP

I imagine only the container is being changed, as I don't see the Pentiums handling so much work (besides regular NAS duties - ZFS isn't exactly lightweight).

stefanb

Patron
MKV is just a container, several video formats could be into it.
If there is a MKV h.264 - with most "video-clients" there is no need to re-encode.

So I think the 75% load is only the streaming/samba/... - no re-encode.

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.